Where do the middle aged, retired 30 to 50k a monthish western males live?

sidjameson

30K to 50K is enough to live anywhere in Thailand even Bangkok as a single male and have a perfectly good time assuming you're not a regular to the gogo bars and enjoy p4p.

I'm 30, single, live in a nice condo in Bangkok (13K a month + 2k for bills), and pretty much never stay in at night (was out every night last week and 6 the week before) going out for dinner, drinks, dates, cinema, social meet ups etc, eat wherever I want (often big tables full of Thai food or Western grub), drink a lot, don't think twice about what I'm spending my money on, buy (inexpensive) clothes and bits and pieces for my condo frequently etc.

Can't even spend 50K a month. If you drink less than me (quite likely) and stay home a couple nights a week you'll spend much less.

When I hear of single guys spending upwards of 50K a month it makes me wonder how they manage it.

I've also lived in Bangkok on less than 30K a month before. Wasn't that much of a hardship really but you won't be out every night and have to watch what you eat and drink with little money to spend on non essential items.

Are you talking baht here or U$? It would be interesting to see your budget. If you're on 30K baht (which I doubt) 50% goes on rent and bills.

Leaves you with ฿3500 a week for meals drinks, transport, dates. Good luck!

Jeez.......I want to live, not exist, and by the looks of things a few posters are saying that they can pay most of their bills and what is left is around 400 baht a day for food and drink, not to mention entertainment. Fine if you want to live on bowls of rice and beer bought from 7/11s.

The object of the exercise in me moving to Thailand was to make my money go further so that I would never have to work again, or worry about money.......not to try and live on as little as possible.

I live in Patong and on average I spend about 100k baht per month, give or take 10 K because I want to live, not exist.........If I want good food (and I eat very little Thai food) I will buy it, no matter what the cost, and the same goes with wine and a few other luxuries.

I wonder if some of the calculations have overlooked the fact that car insurance, health insurance and other expenses are necessary. For example my health insurance costs me 6.5 K per month, car insurance 1.5 K per month, not to mention the costs of outpatient visits to hospitals if necessary, and of course regular maintenance on both the car and motorbike, not to mention gasoline for both of them.

All power to the folk who can live on minimal amounts, however perhaps there is a point at which one arrives which determines whether one lives or exists on a certain amount of monthly expenditure?

30K to 50K is enough to live anywhere in Thailand even Bangkok as a single male and have a perfectly good time assuming you're not a regular to the gogo bars and enjoy p4p.

I'm 30, single, live in a nice condo in Bangkok (13K a month + 2k for bills), and pretty much never stay in at night (was out every night last week and 6 the week before) going out for dinner, drinks, dates, cinema, social meet ups etc, eat wherever I want (often big tables full of Thai food or Western grub), drink a lot, don't think twice about what I'm spending my money on, buy (inexpensive) clothes and bits and pieces for my condo frequently etc.

Can't even spend 50K a month. If you drink less than me (quite likely) and stay home a couple nights a week you'll spend much less.

When I hear of single guys spending upwards of 50K a month it makes me wonder how they manage it.

I've also lived in Bangkok on less than 30K a month before. Wasn't that much of a hardship really but you won't be out every night and have to watch what you eat and drink with little money to spend on non essential items.

Your claims don't make any sense. You claim to have a very busy social life and yet say you can't spend more than 50K a month.

13K for your condo + 2K for bills leaves you 35K out of 50K. That leaves you just a bit more than 1000 baht a day to go out drinking, eating, shopping etc.

• Like 2

Because I'm very very hansum, all my woman are free, some even buy me food and drink, I can live very cheap thank you....

Ah, don't sell yourself so cheaply. A few drinks and food; why not house, car, motorcycle, clothes, and unlimited credit card?

• Like 1

I think living on 50K a month is entirely doable, I'd kind of like that discipline myself knowing I have a budget and not regular work, etc

I think the main concern I have is not the 50K a month but it's when something goes wrong. What about when you want/need to get back to the UK (family, etc) or insurances and various visa costs

The straight up 50K a month in terms of baht I think I can handle with ease. I'll just stop lighting cigars with 100 dollar bills and I should be good ;) I like drinking but not much of a clubber, not so much into go-gos and hookers and love street food. Happy to stay in as much as go out during the week, as long as I got internet I am good to go