Farang neighbour almost sets house on fire out of crowing rage

Thaivisa News

Farang neighbour almost sets house on fire out of crowing rage

Chiang Mai: - An angry farang man almost set a house of his neighbour on fire Sunday morning out of anger caused by her bantams which crowed early morning day in and day out.

The neighbour, Jurirat Pathama, who lives at the Phetmanee housing estate in Tambon Padaen of Chiang Mai’s Muang district, has been raising a few bantams as pets because she loves their tiny size and sweet crowing.

But the crowing at 4 am and 6 am every morning became an intolerable annoyance for her farang neighbor, whose name she doesn’t know.

After the birds crowed in the Sunday morning as usual, the angry neighbour lit up a firework and threw it to the bantam pen next to Jurirat’s house. The firework caused fire to the cloth covering the pen.

Fortunately, passers-by saw the cover cloth catching fire and scrambled to alarm Jurirat. She rushed out to put out the fire in time. No bantams were injured.

Smilingly, Jurirat said she would not press any charge against her neighbour as she understood that he might not be used to chicken crowing like Thais.

And it was not the first time that the angry neighbour made an attempt on the life of the crowing bantams. Jurirat said the neighbour had thrown firecrackers to the bantam pen ten times already before resorting to the firework. “For me, it has become a normal thing for the neighbour to throw firecrackers at the pen and I always ignored it,” she recounted.

But this time she decided to ask the police to just record the incident and summon the neighbour for warning so that he would not do it again.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to like chickens before I came to Thailand.

I have gotten used to the noise now though. We have half a dozen roosters and their many concubines wandering around the yard and crowing at the edge of my bedroom window at all hours.

But I would have em all in the freezer if I could. They belong to my mother in law and apparently she loves em. That is until she crushes their heads with a sling shot. and chops them up.

One wonders what he would have done if he had a karaoke joint next door,

a town dweller i suspect.

regards Worgeordie

Well he has chosen to live in Amphur Muang, which is classed as town.

I think it's really annoying to have that noise next door to you.

I don't blame him. People who live in residential areas shouldn't have to put up with that racket.

My neighbour (farang) had some "relations" up-country whose fighting cocks got infected with a disease. So they brought the uninfected and noisy b*****s down here. They didn't stay long fortunately.

I can't stand the bloody chickens either, they start about 4am every morning then every half hour after that, combined with the melancholy droning buddhist chanting from the local temple which they kindly amplify over the loudspeakers from 5am, then my neighbour's dogs start to wake up (she has about 12) which like to howl in unison, fight (and thus yelp) and quite recently one of the younger ones has started to pester my family's cats and will just stand a few metres away from them barking continuously like a 'dog alarm' until I get out there and throw a lump of concrete from our disintergrated front path at it.... one day I might be lucky and actually hit it.

Edited by TallPalm

regards Worgeordie

Exactly right. It is illegal in Thailand to have fowl in a town or any built up area due to disease etc BUT as is normal here in Thailand, to hell with the laws. I had such a rooster beside me who just didn't crow in the early morning but all day every 3 minutes. It was driving me mad.

I bought 2 speakers that you could plug a memory stick into (tesco sell them for 4000 baht) and I recorded a bull bellowing (downloaded it for free) and placed the speakers on the inside of my house window on her side. When I went to work in the morning at 7:15, I turned on the speakers and left them on until 5 pm when I returned.

She complained to the puu yai, he came to talk to me and the wife (she goes to work also) and she explained about the neighbors rooster crowing non-stop all day everyday. A compromise was reached and the neighbor gave the rooster to her son. Problem solved and the old bitch doesn't talk to us any more. Double result.

When if affects them it's a different story. Fight fire with fire but be nice. thumbsup.gifwai.gif

regards Worgeordie

Exactly right. It is illegal in Thailand to have fowl in a town or any built up area due to disease etc BUT as is normal here in Thailand, to hell with the laws. I had such a rooster beside me who just didn't crow in the early morning but all day every 3 minutes. It was driving me mad.

I bought 2 speakers that you could plug a memory stick into (tesco sell them for 4000 baht) and I recorded a bull bellowing (downloaded it for free) and placed the speakers on the inside of my house window on her side. When I went to work in the morning at 7:15, I turned on the speakers and left them on until 5 pm when I returned.

She complained to the puu yai, he came to talk to me and the wife (she goes to work also) and she explained about the neighbors rooster crowing non-stop all day everyday. A compromise was reached and the neighbor gave the rooster to her son. Problem solved and the old bitch doesn't talk to us any more. Double result.

When if affects them it's a different story. Fight fire with fire but be nice. thumbsup.gifwai.gif

Stellar.

clap2.gif

I can relate. I live in an upscale suburban area. No farms, no other livestock but <deleted>' roosters all over the place.

Are fireworks effective against roosters? I mean just the sound from the explosions, not as a means to incinerate them.

I was this close to buying a ferret I saw at a market today, at least with that running around the neighborhood the chickens would be feeding the ferret instead of making more damn roosters.

I wonder if foxes make good pets? My fox ate all your fowl again,... again? mai ben rai

Had a similar problem as thequietman.

Had a couple of Lao Khao cowboys across the way with a <deleted> rooster.

Never said anything to them about it.

One night I walked over and sat with them and asked to try their home brew.

They obliged and proceeded to roll some cigs with the tree paper they use and nasty tobacco.

They showed me their fighting fish with the paper in the water (it looked like a tea) which they claimed gave the fish power.

After many shots, the topic of food came up.

I told them, I cook a mean chicken.

They went and got that scrawny rooster that was sleeping in a tree and chopped it's <deleted> head off in front of me.

I put it on a spit.

We ate it and I stumbled home.

And that was that.

thumbsup.gif

No joke.

I can relate. I live in an upscale suburban area. No farms, no other livestock but <deleted>' roosters all over the place.

Are fireworks effective against roosters? I mean just the sound from the explosions, not as a means to incinerate them.

I was this close to buying a ferret I saw at a market today, at least with that running around the neighborhood the chickens would be feeding the ferret instead of making more damn roosters.

I wonder if foxes make good pets? My fox ate all your fowl again,... again? mai ben rai

Had a similar problem, bought 2 big dogs and they ate all my neighbors birds that often came into my garden, my neighbor does not talk to me any longer wink.png

Never ceased to be amazed by the sense of entitlement certain foreigners have on these forums. Hate dogs, hate chickens, are happy when my Thai neighbours don't talk to me anymore, don't want to speak Thai, can't stand my wife's family blah blah blah and on and on it goes. Must make it a nightmare to live here... in fact if you don't like it so much why not do what most sensible people would do and just move on

"But the crowing at 4 am and 6 am every morning became an intolerable annoyance for her farang neighbor, whose name she doesn’t know."

I had the same problem. I MOVED TO A QUIETER LOCATION!!!

Edited by jaltsc

regards Worgeordie

Did you have a friendly word with the owner first or did you just go ahead with your cunning plan? It must be quite exciting for a 12 year old like you growing up in Thailand.

coffee1.gif

I grew up in country Australia and love being woken up by the sound of a rooster crowing, reminds me of home. The little things that people take for granted and the pleasures that those who grew up in cities will never understand. What I hate is city noises and can never sleep, trams, trains,sirens and traffic etc. Give me the peaceful tranquil songs of rural life anytime.

regards Worgeordie

yeah the article says they live on a housing estate so its not exactly village life, is it?

Never ceased to be amazed by the sense of entitlement certain foreigners have on these forums. Hate dogs, hate chickens, are happy when my Thai neighbours don't talk to me anymore, don't want to speak Thai, can't stand my wife's family blah blah blah and on and on it goes. Must make it a nightmare to live here... in fact if you don't like it so much why not do what most sensible people would do and just move on

Do you think its nice when your neighbor starts a chicken farm 4 meter from your bedroom window inside a housing estate or when a karaoke keeps you awake all night long? Have nothing against Thais but sometimes when it comes to "noise pollution" we are different.

People only notice these things because their bedrooms are too quiet, Always have a fan on, pointing away from you in the cool season. Any small noise outside will disappear, and you will get a good night sleep. White noise. Rain and wind sounds which can be found on the internet are also good.

I can't stand the bloody chickens either, they start about 4am every morning then every half hour after that, combined with the melancholy droning buddhist chanting from the local temple which they kindly amplify over the loudspeakers from 5am, then my neighbour's dogs start to wake up (she has about 12) which like to howl in unison, fight (and thus yelp) and quite recently one of the younger ones has started to pester my family's cats and will just stand a few metres away from them barking continuously like a 'dog alarm' until I get out there and throw a lump of concrete from our disintergrated front path at it.... one day I might be lucky and actually hit it.

you forgot the cows and buffalo

He has done it ten times already but she has been ignoring it. She's the smart one. Maybe instead of ignoring the fact that she's been annoying her neighbors for the longest time, she could do something to change it.

I suppose, what she meant to say, is that Thais see some things differently. We are not citizens here...are we? Most of us are here on extended stay visa's....being merely elevated to non-immigrant long stayers. Yet, many come to Thailand and expect all the courtesies and rights that they enjoyed in their own country. I made that mistake before. Now I choose well, the place where I want to live. Our current residence has very quiet neighbors and no chickens/cocks. In an artful way, we rented out a home that previously raised chickens. It took months to clean and get it back to standards. (Even feathers in the ceiling light fixtures !). Some elbow grease, cleaning supplies and paint, and now we are local hero's. The neighbors love it. A little something in reverse.

Edited by slipperylobster