Myanmar Passport/mae Sai Crossing

Learned something today.

A husband and wife, he having a US Passport, she a Myanmar Passport, both with current and valid Non Imm B Visas for Thailand do have a problem at Mae Sai.

He can cross, return and reenter Thailand, she cannot. It happens that the Thai Immigration cannot stamp Myanmar Passports at the Mae Sai/Tachilek Border Crossing. It was then recommended, very politely I need to add, that she go to Chiang Saen or Chiang Khong, which are able to do so. ????????

No further rationalization was given.

Can anyone out there explain.

I do wish to add something here, that I have been going to Mae Sai occasionally for close to 20 years. I have nothing but the highest respect and regard for the professionalism and courtesy shown by all the Immigration staff, that I have encountered at the Mae Sai Division. They are simply put, very nice people.

Now if only 20% of this would rub off on the Chiang Mai Division ........

Thats Life I guess.

If Burma would not stamp her in and Thailand had already stamped her out she could not re enter Thailand legally and the best that could be done would be to arrest and deport her.

That is assuming Burma will not stamp a Cambodian passport holder in at the border.

If Burma would not stamp her in and Thailand had already stamped her out she could not re enter Thailand legally and the best that could be done would be to arrest and deport her.

That is assuming Burma will not stamp a Cambodian passport holder in at the border.

Are you saying that the Burma Immigration at Tachilek will not stamp in one of their own passport holders???? If so then how do the Brumese with passports once out of Burma get back in to the country ??/ I know there are other crossings, but aren't the entry rules for Burmese passport holders the same at all of their immigration posts?

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Sorry. Misread as Cambodian passport. Too many name changes as we age. But then again it would not be beyond belief that they would not. But Burma does not have visa free access or visa on arrival so without a re entry permit she could not return to Thailand.

Sorry. Misread as Cambodian passport. Too many name changes as we age. But then again it would not be beyond belief that they would not. But Burma does not have visa free access or visa on arrival so without a re entry permit she could not return to Thailand.

My turn to apologize, age thingy here too..... I did not make clear, she had a Thai Non Imm B multiple entry. So she had the "returnability' factor in the book.

Normally she should have been allowed to exit and re-enter as she has a valid entry visa.

May be the relation between the two countries are not that good ?

I know that Burmese can exit and re-enter at Cambodia/Laos with a multiple entry visa , but not if they have only a single entry visa which has already been utilized.

Normally she should have been allowed to exit and re-enter as she has a valid entry visa.

May be the relation between the two countries are not that good ?

I know that Burmese can exit and re-enter at Cambodia/Laos with a multiple entry visa , but not if they have only a single entry visa which has already been utilized.

Agreed

.... and thats what was ultimately done. A trip to Chiang Khong and 1 hour and the problem was solved. I must also add, with a very pleasant demeanor.