Signs Of Early Dakiniyana Buddhism

sabaijai

Signs of early Dakiniyana Buddhism

Ramesh Susarla

GUNTUR: Evidence of the existence in India of the Dakiniyana school of Buddhism in the second century A.D. has been found at Kantamanenivarigudem, close to Guntupalli caves in West Godavari, Andhra Pradesh.

The Archaeological Survey of India found a decorated pillar in the vicinity of a chaitya. It was excavated along with a damaged Dhyana Buddha statue, shards of pottery and chaitya pillars, ASI Director D. Jithendra Das said. The top half of the green limestone pillar carries a half-lotus medallion and a frieze of animals such as lion, deer and boar.

This three-line inscription at the lower half of the pillar displays early Brahmi characters and Prakrit language. ASI officials found to their surprise a clear mention of the existence of an established Dakiniyana school. The script, deciphered by ASI Assistant Director D. Kanna Babu at Amaravathi in Guntur district, announces: "Gift of vessel full of coins (Masakas) made to the benefit of Aryasangha and followers of Dakiniyana residing at Jinanagamahaparvatha by the householder (Nagaputa) hailing from Sakuda along with his wife Bodhi and daughter." Paleographically the script dates back to the second century.

The epigraphical discovery contains challenging features for researchers on Buddhism as it mentions a school unknown till date.

Source: The Hindu

I will. Still trying to figure out what Dakiniyana Buddhism is. It appears the name comes from an epigraph and that archaeologists aren't sure yet either. On the face of it the name seems to derive from dakini (Tantric female 'muse' or medium in Tantric Buddhism -- see Wiki definition) + yana (vehicle) .... very interesting indeed.

If you are right Sabaijai and Dakiniyana refers to the Vajrayana practise of following the path of the Dakini (I think it means literally sky goer or sometimes sky dancer) then you might be interested in this book

Guide to Dakini Land by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso

Also the author is hopefully giving the empowerment of Heruka Vajrayogini which is the basis of Dakini practise in Singapore Oct. 2007.

If you are right Sabaijai and Dakiniyana refers to the Vajrayana practise of following the path of the Dakini (I think it means literally sky goer or sometimes sky dancer) then you might be interested in this book

Also the author is hopefully giving the empowerment of Heruka Vajrayogini which is the basis of Dakini practise in Singapore Oct. 2007.

Interesting, thanks for the reference and link. Controversial, isn't he, devotee of Dorje Shugden, etc?

Interesting, thanks for the reference and link. Controversial, isn't he, devotee of Dorje Shugden, etc?

Well it depends if you find Dorje Shugden practise controversial, I don't. Dorje Shugden is my Dharmapala though :o

He was the Dharma Protector of all the important Gelug Lamas of the 20th Century, Pabongkha Rinpoche, Trijang Rinpoche and Tsong Rinpoche to name but a few. If you discount those Lamas then there is no Gelug lineage left.

Well it depends if you find Dorje Shugden practise controversial, I don't. Dorje Shugden is my Dharmapala though :o

He was the Dharma Protector of all the important Gelug Lamas of the 20th Century, Pabongkha Rinpoche, Trijang Rinpoche and Tsong Rinpoche to name but a few. If you discount those Lamas then there is no Gelug lineage left.

What is behind the Dalai Lama's supposed condemnation of Shugden? I ask not because I believe the Dalai Lama's every edict is gospel, I'm just curious and all the reading I've done (not that much) just confuses me further!

What is behind the Dalai Lama's supposed condemnation of Shugden? I ask not because I believe the Dalai Lama's every edict is gospel, I'm just curious and all the reading I've done (not that much) just confuses me further!

That's a very good question and to be honest I don't really know. Perhaps only his Holyness fully understands. My guess is that it has to do with creating more stability within the Tibetan comunity in exile as a whole. Budhhism and politics is very tightly interwoven in Tibetan culture.

To be honest I am more interested in the Buddhism than Tibetan politics (although I am of course sympothetic to the Free Tibet cause) which may be the root of the problem. Dorje Shugden practise has been touted as divisive in some sections of the Tibetan community. Therefore for political reasons it has gone out of favour. However some Gelugs and Kadampas wish to put religious considerations above political ones and follow the practises of the last generation of Gelug lineage holders such as Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche the Dalai Lama's Tutor.

I try and ignore the political side of it and for the last few years the issue has really been closed both sides agreeing to disagree. That is much better than the situation we had a few years back.

Anyway for anyone interested in the practise of Dakini yoga I can totally recomend both the book and the Empowerment in Singapore. This is the first time in quite a few years that Geshe Kelsang has given these teachings and it may well be the last time he does so.

That's a very good question and to be honest I don't really know. Perhaps only his Holyness fully understands. My guess is that it has to do with creating more stability within the Tibetan comunity in exile as a whole. Budhhism and politics is very tightly interwoven in Tibetan culture.

To be honest I am more interested in the Buddhism than Tibetan politics (although I am of course sympothetic to the Free Tibet cause) which may be the root of the problem. Dorje Shugden practise has been touted as divisive in some sections of the Tibetan community. Therefore for political reasons it has gone out of favour. However some Gelugs and Kadampas wish to put religious considerations above political ones and follow the practises of the last generation of Gelug lineage holders such as Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche the Dalai Lama's Tutor.

I try and ignore the political side of it and for the last few years the issue has really been closed both sides agreeing to disagree. That is much better than the situation we had a few years back.

Anyway for anyone interested in the practise of Dakini yoga I can totally recomend both the book and the Empowerment in Singapore. This is the first time in quite a few years that Geshe Kelsang has given these teachings and it may well be the last time he does so.

Thanks for the additional info. It does seem politically motivated, from what little I've read.

Do you have more details about the ceremony in Singapore? Can't seem to find anything online.

Thanks for the additional info. It does seem politically motivated, from what little I've read.

Do you have more details about the ceremony in Singapore? Can't seem to find anything online.

Nothing specifically online about the Singapore ceremony other than this.

http://www.kadampa.org.uk/english/events/fest-geshela.php

I attended the Summer Festival in the UK last month and the word around the temple was that the website and booking would be up in Novemeber. Also they are expecting large numbers maybe as many as 6000 people.

I would advise anyone to steer far clear of Kelsang Gyatso. The real root of the problem is that Dorje Shugden, also known as Dogyal, is not an enlightened protector, but rather a malicious gyalpo, that is a rather powerful variety of a preta.

Worship of this spirit will bring only harm in the long run.

Extensive discussion of this subject can be found here: http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php...7&hl=dogyal

and here: http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php...ogyal&st=20

with metta,

Konchok

I would advise anyone to steer far clear of Kelsang Gyatso. The real root of the problem is that Dorje Shugden, also known as Dogyal, is not an enlightened protector, but rather a malicious gyalpo, that is a rather powerful variety of a preta.

Worship of this spirit will bring only harm in the long run.

Extensive discussion of this subject can be found here: http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php...7&hl=dogyal

and here: http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php...ogyal&st=20

with metta,

Konchok

Obviously there are (at least) two views on Shugden, and if we're going to explore them, let's stay away from dogmatic claims on either side.

• 2 weeks later...

Archaeology: By Naresh Nunna

29 Aug 2006

Amaravathi: Archaeological explorations at a tiny village in Andhra Pradesh’s West Godavari district by the Archaeological Survey of India have led to a find that could have major implications for the study of Buddhism.The ASI archaeologists have come across an inscription from the first century AD that makes a mention of the Dakiniyana (Dakini is the name of the goddess, yana means school). This is said to be the first mention of the school based on a goddess, predating other mentions by about 700 years.

The inscription was discovered at a site that the ASI is excavating 42 km from Vijayawada and 70 km from Guntur in the Amaravathi belt that is world renowned for its Buddhist sites.

Disclosing the details of the astonishing find, Dr. Jitendar Das, superintending archaeologist of ASI Hyderabad, said the site at Kantamanenivari Gudem is 2 km from the famous rock cave temple complex at Guntupalli. Tipped off by shepherds and mulberry farmers, the ASI team made excavations at the site and hit paydirt. Among their initial finds were a vandalised image of a seated Dhyana Buddha, Padma Peetha, decorated pillars and a good number of early historic pottery shreds, Dr Das said.

Besides, they found an inscription in Prakrit language using Brahmi characters dated to the 1st century AD. Mr D. Kanna Babu, assistant superintending archaeologist and officer of Amaravathi Museum, who was on the team, interpreted the three-line inscription as saying “...gift of bowl full of coins (masakas) given to the Arya sangh (Buddhist intelligentsia) and all adherents of Dakiniyana, who were residing at Jinanagamahaparvatha, by the householder Nagaputa hailing from Sakuda along with his wife, Bodhi and daughter.”

Mr Kanna Babu said, “It was being hypothesised that the worship of goddesses in Buddhism was not seen till the 8th century AD. But this inscription shows that worship of goddesses was in place within five centuries after Buddha attained nirvana.” Mr Babu said that Dakini is mentioned as one of the four principal mother goddess in the Vajrayana (Tantrayana) in the 7th century. Dakini plays a major role in rituals of Vajrayana. The name is found Vajrayana literature of the 10th century. The new excavations revealed for the first time a yana (school) named after Dakini. She was placed the first stage in three stage process leading to nirvana. Dakini is believed to be the introducer to the path.

At the Kalachakra that the Dalai Lama held earlier this year in Amaravathi, Dakiniyana was a prominent deity. Dr Das said the planning of the pillars, quality of chiselling, execution of the theme, decorative features bore the mark of the Amaravathi school of art.

Source: AP