Thai govt orders inspection of hotels, clubs on Valentine's Day

webfact

Thai Govt Orders Inspection of Hotels, Clubs on Valentine's Day
By Khaosod English

14234604931423460881l.jpg
Teens buy roses for Valentine's Day in Bangkok on 13 Feb 2013.

BANGKOK – The Thai government is preparing its annual campaign to monitor nightclubs and hotels on Valentine’s Day to prevent incidents of rape or other illegal activities.

Apinan Suethanuwong, deputy secretary of the Ministry of Interior Affairs, said state agencies in "every province" have been ordered to ensure that clubs and hotels strictly follow regulations on the holiday.

"Owners of entertainment venues and hotels like to organize events or activities that attract members of the public to use their services," Apinan said yesterday. "So there is a risk of crimes, sexual problems, and other accidents."

Valentine’s Day has become a widely-celebrated holiday in Thailand in recent decades. According to a report compiled by Kasikorn Bank, spending around the holiday last year amounted to 1.5 billion baht.

However, authorities in Thailand – a socially-conservative country despite its free-wheeling sex industry – have frowned upon the holiday, as it is perceived to encourage premarital sex.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1423460493

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-02-09

a curious report I had read about said that most teenagers are pushed to give up their virginity by their boyfriends on valentines day.

Can't provide the link so don't ask. Just something I remembered.

Its all well and good the bib are checking these places. However, I can't see the link between their checks and actually preventing a rape from happening. Unless of course a woman is being raped at the moment the police arrive.

So what is the reason for this check? (More tea money to buy their own ladies flowers?)

I don't see how their checks help anyone but themselves.

Just curious, are there more rapes on Valentines Day in the west?

Anyone know?

No, see above. It is not that there are more rapes on Valentines in the West, it is that in the West Valentines day has become a day of remembrance for rape victims and a day of raising awareness of rape and violence towards women.

Anyone know?

No, see above. It is not that there are more rapes on Valentines in the West, it is that in the West Valentines day has become a day of remembrance for rape victims and a day of raising awareness of rape and violence towards women.

Seriously?

That totally went past me, I guess.

Not trying to take a p!$$ here- I honestly wasn't aware.

Anyone know?

Seriously?

I wasn't either until today but do I suspect this has had a play in the Ministriies rape crackdown plans.

Saint Valentine of Rome was imprisoned for performing weddings for soldiers who were forbidden to marry. NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH PREMARTIAL SEX. These people really live on another planet.

Pre-martial sex seems the right definition. They are fighting anything that happened pre-martial.

Anyone know?

Seriously?

I wasn't either until today but do I suspect this has had a play in the Ministriies rape crackdown plans.

I honestly suspect they don't have a clue either and that this is not about rape or anything...and it will not even be enforced.

It is about tea- money, the RTP can get from some club - or hotel - owners...and that's it!

Otherwise, maybe they should try sex- ed and promote that fact, that women are not 2nd - class citizens.

• Like 2

Valentines is an American invention and has become a ridiculous commercial event, as fathers and mothers days.

I know guys.......and the government should stop patronizing their citizens. None of your business mr. general.

• Like 2

Meh.

Premarital sex keeps frustrated young men from setting things on fire.

I speak from experience... and from reading the news.

Is it really premarital sex if you never intend to get married?

The days of pretending to wait until marriage for sex are long gone...even in Thailand.

Happy VD everyone!

Seriously?

I honestly suspect they don't have a clue either and that this is not about rape or anything...and it will not even be enforced.

It is about tea- money, the RTP can get from some club - or hotel - owners...and that's it!

Otherwise, maybe they should try sex- ed and promote that fact, that women are not 2nd - class citizens.

They would have been well aware of the One Billion Rising flash mob last womens day at Siam Square. They don't want public protest at the moment and they have the sister group of V-day planning another even larger protest in Bangkok in less than one months time.

I swear... this country baffles the hell out of me! Rapes happen all the time. Why pick one day out of the year to do anything about it? What do they hope to stop? Unless of course they walk in while the rape is going on that is.

But as the local Plod are useless at the best of times, even according to the Thais themselves... well... if you see them then buy them a rose and tell them that you love them for at least their 'visit' will not be as worthless as it is going to be.

Unfortunately, rapes will still happen and here should be something done to stop them from happening. The question is how. One day out of the year just because it is a 'Romantic' style date in a calender? But the real issue here is that the local Plod are not equipped to do that. They (the Plod) will do their usual cocked up, inefficient, careless, uniformed, blind, with unprofessional capabilities 'investigation' (if you can even call what they will do an investigation... remember Koh Tao?) and do it all with their usual slightly bored, uninterested, and yet with an attempt at being authoritarian manner.