Shoptopia: 25 new shopping malls to open in Bangkok

webfact

Shoptopia: 25 new shopping malls to open in Bangkok
By Coconuts Bangkok

metrowest.jpg
ABOVE: The Metro West Mall will open by April on Kanlapaphruak Road in the western Bangkok district of Phasi Charoen.
Photo: Think of Living.com

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok will have 25 more reasons to continue existing by next year.

This year alone, 25 new community malls are being hurriedly completed to address the woeful inadequacy of venues to shop in the Thai capital, where citizens sometimes must travel more than several minutes to shop at low temperatures.

Providing a much-needed 320,000 sqm of retail space, most of the new malls will open in the western areas of Bangkok.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/02/09/shoptopia-25-new-shopping-malls-open-bangkok

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-02-09

citizens sometimes must travel more than several minutes to shop at low temperatures.

Buddha forbid that any Thai should have to travel "more than several minutes" to go shopping!! Next they'll be demanding that limos come to their homes to pick them up for their weekly foray into the stores.

And 25 new malls? Thailand Bangkok - Hub of shopping malls.

More dead space on the way.

If only it were that simple.

More like more traffic congestion on the way.

Have a look at the living hell that is Fashion Island.

Fair enough but inside many of the malls it is ore like a ghost town, apart from the food courts of course.

And don't you just love artists impressions of future housing projects, shopping centres etc.

Happy smiling families walking past pristine, parks and ponds (ducks optional) with virtually no traffic on the well maintained highways!!

cheesy.gif

More dead space on the way.

If only it were that simple.

More like more traffic congestion on the way.

Have a look at the living hell that is Fashion Island.

I go to Fashion Island regularly. The turn in to the left just after the slip road express way exit can be challenging at times but IME no where as bad as you think.

All down to perceptions. which I guess reflect on what you're used to.

Hopefully new malls will have better thought out parking - still TiT so dreaming again.

Do they have urban planning in Thailand? Seems to me not, based on crowding and road traffic. I would say the urbanization of Thailand is dire. Glad i am now out of the bangkok metropolis and in Issan where there is lots of space. Life is now much more pleasant and the people much nicer.

Traffic are all due to poor urban planning and regulation. Just take a look at Emquartier across from Emporium. Going down sukhumvit road, there is a right turn into Soi 24, with the new Emquartier, there will be an left turn entrance right across from Soi 24, when the mall opens, there will be cars turning left into the mall and turning right into soi 24. That leaves only one lane in the middle to go straight down Sukhumvit road if you were to head down to Soi 55. I can see the madness and traffic once the mall opens.