Stock IRC Tires For CBR250R

WingNut

I am thinking about replacing my tires on my CBR250R. I don't ride it much. After 3 years the bike only has about 12,000KM total, but the service guy at my local Honda dealer told me the rubber is getting hard and the tires should be replaced even though the treads are still fine.

Since I don't ride it much, just around the area from time to time, I thought I would just put on another set of the stock IRC tires that came with the bike. They are fine for just light riding.

The dealer said they are about a total of 3,600 Baht a pair I think, plus a bit extra for labor to install them, so just under 4,000 Baht I am thinking if I get them from him.

I was curious if there is a better place to get them with a lower price perhaps? Or, should I perhaps go for another brand if there is one of equal quality and at a lesser cost? If so, is there a place that everyone usually goes for inexpensive tire replacement in Bangkok? Or is the Honda dealer already offering a good price and is simply the best place?

Also, should I be replacing them yet just because the rubber is a bit hard? I had read somewhere that motorcycle tires should usually be replaced after about 6 years if they aren't worn down by then rather than just after 3 years.

Any insight is always appreciated as always.

Cheers...

Even if you dont ride much, dont avoid paying some extra to get a good set of tires.

The Michelins are excellent tyres and cheaper than the original IRC's.

Can confirm that for sure. The Street Pilots work really well on the CBR and have good longevity too. How they do it at that price, around 3000 bht, is amazing.

dont get the irc stock tires again, they are not good and i believe dangerous for sporting intentions.

Michelin and Pirelli have tires for cbr250 around 4000 thb pair. I think Michelin Pilot sport and Pirelli Sport Demon are around 4000 thb and they much more better than stock IRC tires.

but if you want quality, get a set of Pirelli rosso2 for 6 - 7 k thb. They are a lot better.

I got some new tires put on today at that shop called 29 Tire. Nice guys and convenient location a bit past the end of Ekamai Road, close to the Rama 9 Road intersection. They had both the Michelin Pilot Street tires for 3,500 Baht (including installation) and the Pirelli Sport Demons for 3,900 Baht (including installation). I decided though on a local brand called "Quick" and their "Taurus" model. The guys explained that the tires are made locally in the Dunlop factory in Thailand and are of equal quality to the Michelins and Pirellis in that same price class. Price was only 2,500 Baht for the pair including installation. They told me the quality of these Quick Taurus tires is much better than the IRC tires I had on there and, since the tires are made in Thailand, they will be newer and softer than most imports that would have spent longer time in a warehouse. The set I got were made this year and feel very soft and sticky to the touch. Attaching a couple of shots of the tires after they were installed. As you can see, they also have a similar tread style to Pirelli. These should be fine for my occasional short rides around Bangkok.

post-170983-0-97644400-1423649172_thumb.

post-170983-0-10506300-1423649175_thumb.

Thanks. The decision wasn't based on price though. The tires were newer, felt stickier, and had a nicer tread design than the Michelins. The lower price was just a bonus. But for someone like me who mainly uses the bike to drive to the grocery store from time to time, and doesn't ride the bike very hard anyway, I probably won't notice much difference between one tire or another. But at least I got tires now which aren't hard and slippery like the old ones that were on the bike.

I forgot to mention that you can send a text message to the guys at 29 Tire to check prices and availability on tires if you are interested. They seem to carry every brand and model at competitive prices. Their LINE ID is 29TIRE and they speak English so no problem. They can also text you back a Google map pin to show you their location. Once you have the pin it is very easy to find them.

I forgot to mention that you can send a text message to the guys at 29 Tire to check prices and availability on tires if you are interested. They seem to carry every brand and model at competitive prices. Their LINE ID is 29TIRE and they speak English so no problem. They can also text you back a Google map pin to show you their location. Once you have the pin it is very easy to find them.

If your in the area 29 tire can be a bargain but when shipping not always. 29tire 90/80-17 Street pilot 1050 baht plus 60 baht shipping. Maxxis tire in pattaya 1300 installed balance and new valve. So really no savings. good luck with the new brand tire

Yes, if I were in Pattaya I think I would just get tires down there to make it easier. Even if it costs a few extra Baht. 29 Tire charged me 100 Baht for the installation for the 2 tires, but was included in the 2,500 Baht total price I paid for the 2 tires. They balanced and added new weights, but not sure if same valve or new valve. Wasn't paying close attention on that. Thanks.

Hi Jan - Yes, they carry tires for all bikes, big and small. And they can order anything you want from any manufacturer I think if they don't have it in stock. Best just to send them a message and ask them about the tire and size you want. They should be able to send you back a price and tell you if they have it in stock or when they can get it. If they don't have it in stock I think they can often get it the same day or the next. The shop is run by two brothers. Khun Tut is the name of one of the brothers. They also have an air-conditioned sitting room with drinking water where you can sit and wait while they change your tires. They work fast. Took about an hour to change my tires.

I bought my bike second hand and it still had the stock tires on. They were very hard, so decided to change. All this about tires and how important it is to get a good set of tires is all new to me. I have had cruisers all my life and since you don't do much cornering on a cruiser i never paid much attention to it before.

Jan

I wonder if tires dry out and get hard in Thailand quicker than other countries in general because of the heat here.

Meanwhile, the guy at 29Tire told me that Dunlop in Thailand seems to get hard the quickest out of the top brands and sometimes they are really only good for 2 years. So I'm expecting I'll have to change the tires on my CBR650F in 2 years even though I'm sure I won't have much mileage on the bike by then at all.

Archived