Stock IRC Tires For CBR250R

WingNut

The Pirellis in Thailand for the CBR250 are Sport Dragons, not Sport Demons as mentioned earlier - at least that's all I am aware of, and are what I fitted on mine. I am very happy with them; much stickier than the stock rubbish! I paid 3,900 for mine in Chiang Mai at Piston Shop, including fitting and balancing.

I wonder if tires dry out and get hard in Thailand quicker than other countries in general because of the heat here.

Meanwhile, the guy at 29Tire told me that Dunlop in Thailand seems to get hard the quickest out of the top brands and sometimes they are really only good for 2 years. So I'm expecting I'll have to change the tires on my CBR650F in 2 years even though I'm sure I won't have much mileage on the bike by then at all.

Ride more.

Jim , my wife got sport demons put on hers about 6 week ago definitely says sport demon on them not dragon, when I was doing my homework before getting them I read they work really well for the smaller bikes with the more basic suspension and they seem to do that really well...

Edited by mark131v

Your welcome Jan. What type of bike and/or what sized tires did you get?

Their web site is good too. Most of the prices are online there: http://29tire.com/?lang=en

You can cross check their price on Pirelli on their site if you want.

I got 120/70 and 160/60 for my ER6N. ( Rosso 2 ) Great tire, very soft and sticky.

I think I'm going to sell my Dunlop Sportmax D222F tires (120/70-ZR17 front / 180/55-ZR17 rear) that came with my CBR650F as I would like to put on a set of Rosso 2 as well. My Dunlops have only 600km on them so still pretty much brand new.

Your welcome Jan. What type of bike and/or what sized tires did you get?

Their web site is good too. Most of the prices are online there: http://29tire.com/?lang=en

You can cross check their price on Pirelli on their site if you want.

I got 120/70 and 160/60 for my ER6N. ( Rosso 2 ) Great tire, very soft and sticky.

I think I'm going to sell my Dunlop Sportmax D222F tires (120/70-ZR17 front / 180/55-ZR17 rear) that came with my CBR650F as I would like to put on a set of Rosso 2 as well. My Dunlops have only 600km on them so still pretty much brand new.

pm sent.

Edited by ll2

I am really liking these cheap Thai tires I put on my CBR250R so far. They are really sticky. I feel much more confident riding on these now than those IRC stones that came on the bike:

http://www.29tire.com/product-th-1025082-6226168-%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%81+Quick++%28%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%81%29+%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B8%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%99+GR614++Taurus+%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%9A+17+%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%AA%E0%B9%88+CBR,+Ninja,+CB400,.html

I wish they made bigger tires too. I would consider them for my 650 if they made a good quality dual compound sport touring radial as well.

• 1 month later...

I am really liking these cheap Thai tires I put on my CBR250R so far. They are really sticky. I feel much more confident riding on these now than those IRC stones that came on the bike:

http://www.29tire.com/product-th-1025082-6226168-%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%81+Quick++%28%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%81%29+%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B8%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%99+GR614++Taurus+%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%9A+17+%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%AA%E0%B9%88+CBR,+Ninja,+CB400,.html

I wish they made bigger tires too. I would consider them for my 650 if they made a good quality dual compound sport touring radial as well.

Still liking those Thai tires? I'm thinking about them, or just replacing the rear IRC stock tire on my CBR250r. I've got 25k on them and the front still looks decent. I guess I don't know a good cornering tire from a bad, as I've never ridden any other bike, but I haven't noticed anything wrong with the stock IRC's and can't beat that mileage! 29tire are very responsive on Facebook Messenger and said those Thai tires have a 10k warranty and should last 20k. Still, I'm wary! I do go on long trips a couple of times a year and don't want to worry about my tires coming apart at highway speeds!

Yes, I love the tires. In fact, they feel like they get even grippier the more I ride on them. Anyway, don't replace just one tire. Never a good policy. They are so cheap that it is better to change them both. Also, I had the bike up to about 140KM today on one of the Rama 9 flyovers for a bit and no problem. They certainly don't feel like they are going to come apart. Anyway, if you feel more comfortable with a branded tire then go for it. The Michelin Pilot Street tires are supposed to be very good and only about 1,000 Baht more for a pair I think. Go for those if you have doubts about the ones I am using. But don't put those IRC tires on again. I also don't do a lot of seriously hard cornering on Bangkok streets because the roads and other cars are just to dangerous for it generally, but where I noticed a big difference between these tires and the IRC tires is when I brake very hard. I never skid like I used to on the IRC tires. They were like braking on ice. Also, a friend of mine is riding on those popular Michelin Pilot Street tires, but he complains he finds those slippery too. So go figure.

Have you driven in wet conditions yet?

Not yet as we haven't really had much rain yet since I got the new tires. But normally I don't ride in the rain anyway if I can avoid it. I don't use my bike for daily transportation so I don't willfully go out in the rain. If I do ride in wet conditions it means I took the bike out when it was dry and accidentally got caught in a rain storm.

I wonder if tires dry out and get hard in Thailand quicker than other countries in general because of the heat here.

Meanwhile, the guy at 29Tire told me that Dunlop in Thailand seems to get hard the quickest out of the top brands and sometimes they are really only good for 2 years. So I'm expecting I'll have to change the tires on my CBR650F in 2 years even though I'm sure I won't have much mileage on the bike by then at all.

yes it would seem so, as when i bought a tyre the other week the guy was keen to point out it was only 1 yr old

they are marked.

i think you're better off keeping the stock tyres for when you sell the bike, and put the better tyres on now

of course you'd need to store them well and depends on how long you intend to keep the bike.

im using irc atm, but will buy something better soon and transfer the ircs to my second bike

yes it would seem so, as when i bought a tyre the other week the guy was keen to point out it was only 1 yr old

they are marked.

i think you're better off keeping the stock tyres for when you sell the bike, and put the better tyres on now

of course you'd need to store them well and depends on how long you intend to keep the bike.

im using irc atm, but will buy something better soon and transfer the ircs to my second bike

To be honest, If you are going to sell the bike, I don't think many people are going to want 3-4 year old stock tires versus newer ones you may have put on there if you are trying to sell a bike. Personally I have no intention of selling any of my bikes in the future anyway so it is not a consideration for me at least. But I think most locals know the IRC tires are crap as many of the locals get rid of them right away if they can afford to I have been told. If you want to resell a bike a buyer might be more impressed by a new set of those Michelin Pilot Street tires than the IRC, but that is just my opinion of course.

Yes, you can read manfucature dates on all tires. 1 year old when you buy a set of new tires though is generally not considered new. The Thai made tires I bought were manufactured the same month I bought them. And when I bought my CBR650F the tires from the dealer on the bike were already about 6 months old, which I didn't consider very new actually knowing that most tires in Thailand are good for about 2-3 years before they get hard and slippery just from age.

To be honest, when I changed my IRC tires they only had 12,000KM on them and looked practically new still, but I got rid of them because they were 3 years old already, not because the treads were worn down. I considered them to have no value at that point either so I just left them with the tire shop to do whatever they want with.

Just my 2 satang of course...

oh it was just a very cheap dirt tyre

they'd re sell em, plenty on a budget are happy to get good tread

i'd keep em just in case, i tend to buy and sell quickly and they might come in handy

The guys at Tire29 were really helpful and kind to me when I bought my new tires from them. If they were able to resell my old tires for 500 or 1,000 Baht then I am happy to know they made a few extra bucks from them rather than the tires just going in the trash bin. I wasn't going to spend my time try and find a buyer myself for some 3 year old tires for a few Baht. They were worthless already in my opinion though. I also wasn't going to want to try and carry them back home by tying them down on the back of my bike. But if other people want to try and sell their old used tires when replacing them then why not.

Yes, I love the tires. In fact, they feel like they get even grippier the more I ride on them. Anyway, don't replace just one tire. Never a good policy. They are so cheap that it is better to change them both. Also, I had the bike up to about 140KM today on one of the Rama 9 flyovers for a bit and no problem. They certainly don't feel like they are going to come apart. Anyway, if you feel more comfortable with a branded tire then go for it. The Michelin Pilot Street tires are supposed to be very good and only about 1,000 Baht more for a pair I think. Go for those if you have doubts about the ones I am using. But don't put those IRC tires on again. I also don't do a lot of seriously hard cornering on Bangkok streets because the roads and other cars are just to dangerous for it generally, but where I noticed a big difference between these tires and the IRC tires is when I brake very hard. I never skid like I used to on the IRC tires. They were like braking on ice. Also, a friend of mine is riding on those popular Michelin Pilot Street tires, but he complains he finds those slippery too. So go figure.

Oops, I didn't see this and just got back from 29Tire. I did just replace the rear, even he said the front looked good enough for another 5k. He also said putting another brand on the back would be ok, but I wouldn't do that. Like I said, I never had a problem with the IRC and they didn't start to slip until halfway through their life, even in the rain, but then again, I avoid braking too hard (and have ABS). I've still got my original brake pads at 25k, though those will be changed soon, another 1k or so. I looked at the Thai tires and they looked fine, even the IRC's are made in Thailand, but I don't know, if my wife is going to have to sue someone because my tire disintegrated, I want it to be a big company, 555. Plus, there is a big difference between hitting 140 on a flyover and doing it for hours on the highway, which I'll be doing next week. Btw, their bubble balancing freaked me out a bit! Is that how it's done, no high speed balancing for motorcycles? The guy was very nice though, good English, fast service, great price, good Facebook communication and informative website. I'll be back there in a few weeks for the front tire! Forget about Show Pow, btw. I called, no English, website sucks, no Facebook reply, no phone reply.

Edited by Myaimistrue

Good stuff. I'm glad it all worked out. By the way, the Quick brand tires I am using he said are made in the Thai Dunlop factory and sold under a local brand. So I don't doubt they are fine for all types of street and highway use. He also mentioned he sells more of those now than any other brand because the price point is most attractive to the locals. So he has sold a lot of them it seems and he's told me nobody has come back and reported any problems yet. I still wouldn't go with IRC again no matter what, and I think most people on this forum feel the same. But if your happy with them no problem.

• 1 month later...

I bought a set of 18/21 Dunlop D604 tires from 29 Tire today. 4200 baht for the set, as advertised...and 100 baht service fee to change the tires.

This is a small family shop, and the son speaks English well and is very polite and helpful.

If you're looking for tires, I definitely recommend them!

• 5 months later...

The Pirellis in Thailand for the CBR250 are Sport Dragons, not Sport Demons as mentioned earlier - at least that's all I am aware of, and are what I fitted on mine. I am very happy with them; much stickier than the stock rubbish! I paid 3,900 for mine in Chiang Mai at Piston Shop, including fitting and balancing.

I've got Sport Dragons on my CRF 250M - an amazing transformation from the original IRC tyres and a snip at 3,900b for the pair including fitting....