Chinese tourists in trouble again as White Temple soiled

webfact

Not will take too long to see the White Temple asking for an entry fee for "farangs"...and a big one. Better solution for the owner, a nice guy, very active in the Chiang Rai community.

In other country he will be accused of discrimination..and in big trouble.

Don't know if there is an entry charge, but non Thais have to pay a guide to show them round.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How do you manage to crap on the toilet seat, bend over standing up and hope for the best? bah.gif alt=bah.gif>

Dunno what the second bit's got to do with it.

They get up and squat (rather than sit) on the seat, that's how.

In many Asian airporttoilets i have seen the poop wiped all over the walls untill 1.5 metres high.

How on earth do they manage to do so? They wipe their butt with their hands and then wipe it on the walls? I guess so! Thailand is vely lucky to have these quality tourists now, much better then falangs who arrive by taxi (without metre of course) cheesy.gif

• Like 1

You would think that after they invented the toilet, they would know how to use the thing !!!

China does not have the neat "butt washers" at the side of the toilet that exist in Thailand. In fact they often have a sign telling you to put soiled paper in waste baskets which are emptied now and then.

Maybe some signage in the toilets concerned would help. Same as they used to have, reminding people not to put their feet/shoes on the toilet seat.

• Like 1

How do you manage to crap on the toilet seat, bend over standing up and hope for the best? bah.gif

they squat with feet on toilet seat

its a bit acrobatic but common in China and fairly common in Thailand and other Asian countries

I have indulged and know the process but can't understand how they're managing to &lt;deleted&gt; everywhere. Do they like have tangentially displaced holes or perhaps omit the squatting down bit for fear of shooting themselves in the eye, I wonder...

You would think that after they invented the toilet, they would know how to use the thing !!!

Was that not the Indus Valley Civilization?

Was it not Thomas crapper of England? Hence the use of the term crapper

Flush toilet?:huh:

Was it not Thomas crapper of England? Hence the use of the term crapper

Flush toilet?huh.png

He invented the floating ballcock and successfully marketed his toilet, that is all he really did. The flushing toilet had already been invented in 1596 by John Harrington. Crapper has as much claim to the toilet as Henry Ford does to mass production, about zero.

• Like 1

And people are talking about China like it can take USA's position as world leader LMAO. These people don't even know how to poop.. Disgusting.

Not like the Americans, they sure know what to do, they feed Chicken poop to their cows and then eat them. Now that is disgusting!

I heard their tour groups are banned from Homepro too after what happened in their bathroom display area.

That'd stop about 20 members of staff following you around trying to interest you in a 100,000 baht fridge when you'd just popped in for a light bulb.

...pooped in for a light bulb.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How do you manage to crap on the toilet seat, bend over standing up and hope for the best? alt=bah.gif>

Ever been to Beijing by the Olypics area? There is a China Bank not far from the Holiday Inn and the missus and I needed the forex. Went in, and whilst we were waiting in queue, missus had to use the ladies room on the second floor.... goes in and I hear this faint / distant scream from the ground floor... yep, the missus. $hit all over the seats AND some on the walls.

• Like 1

Granted, climbing up upon a toilet seat and using it as a squatting place to try and aim is not what it it should be used for. But, I find that Chalermachai is really all about his ego and art and keeping everything as he thinks it should be. It is isn't anything to do with Buddhism and I hope he progresses from his pretty narrow and intolerant take on things as evidenced by his incensed on again off again bans against the untoilet trained.

I think I'd go so far as to say visting his temple was the only experience i have had as a white man with facing overt racism and prejudice directed at me by an institution ever in my life. Entering the temple you are faced with a sign saying non-Thais unaccompanied may not enter the temple. Not much above a "No Negroes Allowed" on a restarant door in Alabama in the 1950's. Granted that when you ask the people at the ticket booth if that is joke or not, they say it isn't serious and you can go in. That said, I can't get over the Nationalist and fascist overtones and there is no way you will have a good experience after being told you aren't welcome. It casts a certain context on all his work that overshdows his Buddhist and spiritual intentions, at least in my book. I will also say that while his temple is an amazing accomplishment artistically it is a complete failure as anything to do with the spirit of Buddhism banning all who aren't Thai and now complaining about those who look Thai but don't act it. It is just narrow self-interested spiritual materialism and a monument to hypocrisy and the testament of a lousy Buddhist if not just nothing but an exercise in arrogance.

• Like 1

I've had to take my daughter to many Thai toilets over the years when she was too young to go herself and I can assure you that Thais are just as adept at crapping on the toilet seat and floor as the Chinese are. In fact, have been to almost every Asian country in the region, I cannot remember seeing anything more disgusting than a Thai, men's toilet.

You are either in denial or have never travelled to China. Thai toilets are heaven compared to Chinese toilets. Even petrol (gas) station toilets are in pretty decent shape, pretty clean for a developing country and I am probably more of an authority on this subject than just about anyone else on this forum, with an average of 40,000km per year driven entirely on Thai highways throughout the country but mainly in the east, north and north-east, necessitating quite a few stops. In fact, many public restrooms in Thailand are often cleaner than those in say, Australia at least if you compared petrol (gas) station toilets in both countries with each other.

Burmese public toilets are a step down on Thai ones, although they are usually not too bad either, but Chinese ones are by FAR the WORST. They are absolutely filthy, you can smell them from a mile away, there's no stalls, even if you want to take a dump you have to bear and grin it as others watch you do your business (think no privacy!) and I'm not just talking about places in remote Yunnan, Tibet or Qinghai, but I'm talking about everywhere, even on the civilized Chinese "Gold Coast" such as in Xiamen and that area.

Been there, done that. I know what I'm talking about.

Granted, climbing up upon a toilet seat and using it as a squatting place to try and aim is not what it it should be used for. But, I find that Chalermachai is really all about his ego and art and keeping everything as he thinks it should be. It is isn't anything to do with Buddhism and I hope he progresses from his pretty narrow and intolerant take on things as evidenced by his incensed on again off again bans against the untoilet trained.

I think I'd go so far as to say visting his temple was the only experience i have had as a white man with facing overt racism and prejudice directed at me by an institution ever in my life. Entering the temple you are faced with a sign saying non-Thais unaccompanied may not enter the temple. Not much above a "No Negroes Allowed" on a restarant door in Alabama in the 1950's. Granted that when you ask the people at the ticket booth if that is joke or not, they say it isn't serious and you can go in. That said, I can't get over the Nationalist and fascist overtones and there is no way you will have a good experience after being told you aren't welcome. It casts a certain context on all his work that overshdows his Buddhist and spiritual intentions, at least in my book. I will also say that while his temple is an amazing accomplishment artistically it is a complete failure as anything to do with the spirit of Buddhism banning all who aren't Thai and now complaining about those who look Thai but don't act it. It is just narrow self-interested spiritual materialism and a monument to hypocrisy and the testament of a lousy Buddhist if not just nothing but an exercise in arrogance.

Well you probably haven't been to any national park or even other tourist temple that charges foreigners a higher fee than Thais, or just charges foreigners a fee when Thais enter for free, all determined on your physical appearance alone as Thais are almost never asked for an ID card to verify their nationality, even though it would only take a few seconds. As an expat that kind of behavior certainly makes me feel as a second class citizen and is not that much above "no negroes allowed" as you say. If dual pricing was abolished at all private institutions and then if still in force at government and heritage sites such as the Grand Palace or Doi Suthep, and if all expats were definitely allowed to gain entrance to these places at the Thai price, with a sign to that effect, and all persons were IDed to ascertain their nationality/status, there would be far less of an outcry from me or most other people. But the current practice is very discriminatory and affects expats a lot more than tourists as expats soon realize many places won't accept their Thai DL, work permits, tax ID cards, long-term visas, permanent residency books or ability to speak Thai fluently etc. as ways of proving they should be eligible to enter at the local price.

But I hear you - even if entry is free, it's a bit bizarre and very discriminatory to have a sign saying that foreigners must be accompanied by Thais to gain entrance, even if not enforced.

It reminds me of a sign in Yangshuo, China (China doesn't practice dual pricing anymore though) where there was a group of PLA soldiers in attendance (not sure what the purpose of their visit was, maybe to get young Chinese to sign up?), but the caption in English and Chinese stated that "foreigners are not allowed to take photographs". OK, not a big deal, but I wasn't expecting that kind of discriminatory attitude. A sign prohibiting ALL people from taking photographs would have been acceptable in my opinion. Besides, what harm could a western tourist on a short holiday do by taking an innocent picture of a few soldiers? I think the Chinese should fear their own people more.

I don't think that Chalermchai expects "Thai behavior" from "Thai-looking" people who are actually foreigners [Chinese], rather, he expects that everyone respects his temple and minds their manners in the bathroom, which is something that unfortunately Chinese tourists are regularly accused of not obeying. However, making the rules known, training guides better and perhaps imposing fines? for non-compliance are probably better ways of ensuring visitors, irrespective of where they come from adhere to these basic common sense rules.

Not will take too long to see the White Temple asking for an entry fee for "farangs"...and a big one. Better solution for the owner, a nice guy, very active in the Chiang Rai community.

Don't know if there is an entry charge, but non Thais have to pay a guide to show them round.

I was told entry is free, but if a guide is required and then only for non-Thais then that's kind of a round about way of dual pricing, isn't it? What about if you arrive with some Thai friends in tow? Shouldn't a guide then not be required?

Also how about if you are fluent in Thai like me, I wouldn't need an English speaking guide anyway (assuming that there even are any English speaking guides around)?

I was told entry is free, but if a guide is required and then only for non-Thais then that's kind of a round about way of dual pricing, isn't it? What about if you arrive with some Thai friends in tow? Shouldn't a guide then not be required?

Also how about if you are fluent in Thai like me, I wouldn't need an English speaking guide anyway (assuming that there even are any English speaking guides around)?

Entry is free and you don't need to hire a guide to show you around. I lived in Chiang Rai for 2 years before moving to CM 8 months ago. I still go back every month and have visited Wat Rong Khun more times than I care to remember while giving friends and family the CR tour.

I've had to take my daughter to many Thai toilets over the years when she was too young to go herself and I can assure you that Thais are just as adept at crapping on the toilet seat and floor as the Chinese are. In fact, have been to almost every Asian country in the region, I cannot remember seeing anything more disgusting than a Thai, men's toilet.

You are either in denial or have never travelled to China. Thai toilets are heaven compared to Chinese toilets. Even petrol (gas) station toilets are in pretty decent shape, pretty clean for a developing country and I am probably more of an authority on this subject than just about anyone else on this forum, with an average of 40,000km per year driven entirely on Thai highways throughout the country but mainly in the east, north and north-east, necessitating quite a few stops. In fact, many public restrooms in Thailand are often cleaner than those in say, Australia at least if you compared petrol (gas) station toilets in both countries with each other.

Burmese public toilets are a step down on Thai ones, although they are usually not too bad either, but Chinese ones are by FAR the WORST. They are absolutely filthy, you can smell them from a mile away, there's no stalls, even if you want to take a dump you have to bear and grin it as others watch you do your business (think no privacy!) and I'm not just talking about places in remote Yunnan, Tibet or Qinghai, but I'm talking about everywhere, even on the civilized Chinese "Gold Coast" such as in Xiamen and that area.

Been there, done that. I know what I'm talking about.

As an Aussie, I am deeply offended. My grandparents had a perfectly respectable toilet out the back of their place, with an old phone book hanging from a nail. (recycling paper).

We had to take a torch and check for red backs, (spiders) and the phenyl bottle was in place.

Things have moved on since then mate!! Petrol stations in Oz are normally perfectly acceptable.

I was NOT impressed in China last year.

Chinese often have loose bowels from all the noodle soups they eat and this I hear makes the feces tend to spray outwards instead of a healthy dead center dump and I can understand how they must feel coz I had diarea before and felt the spray effect. We cannot prejudice someone because of their fecal viscosities but we can teach them with pictures other ways to perform the act and the problem then is they worry about how clean is the toilet seat so there is a vicious circle which means if you want a clean toilet Mr Chalermchai then you must offer a clean one otherwise it will get sprayed in disgust by a chinaman or chinawoman.

• 2 weeks later...

Chinese often have loose bowels from all the noodle soups they eat and this I hear makes the feces tend to spray outwards instead of a healthy dead center dump and I can understand how they must feel coz I had diarea before and felt the spray effect. We cannot prejudice someone because of their fecal viscosities but we can teach them with pictures other ways to perform the act and the problem then is they worry about how clean is the toilet seat so there is a vicious circle which means if you want a clean toilet Mr Chalermchai then you must offer a clean one otherwise it will get sprayed in disgust by a chinaman or chinawoman.

:lol:

Entry is free and you don't need to hire a guide to show you around. I lived in Chiang Rai for 2 years before moving to CM 8 months ago. I still go back every month and have visited Wat Rong Khun more times than I care to remember while giving friends and family the CR tour.

The web sites advertising the temple are all saying you need a guide if you are not Thai.

How do you manage to crap on the toilet seat, bend over standing up and hope for the best? bah.gif

Having spent some time in China, I can tell you this: Chinese men are slobs in the toilet; one guy pisses on the floor, so the next guy steps back farther, and so on. I've seen young guys not even trying to hit the urinal, just pissing on the floor. So the #2 situation is probably analogous, pardon the pun.

You see a lot of signs in China at urinals saying "one small step forward for you is a big leap forward for our civilisation" (rough trans.). The fact that these signs are everywhere tells you something about their behavior.

I really can't see how Thais can moan about Chinese people, Thais embrace Chinese New Year, look on the tv, in the paper, everywhere there's something about it. Look at shop names, in Thai and Chinese, a high percentage of Thai families were immigrants from China. So all this whining and whinging is doing is showing just another chink in their armour.

------------------------

I was going to post something about that, but i decided not to as it wasn't directly related to the subject.

But since you posted, you are correct.

There are ruins there of a place roughly 3000 years old.

The buildings have a working water and sewage system, with showers also.

They used wooden gates, to direct the water to flush the toilets.

I believe that today the area would be part of Pakistan on today's maps.

And yes, it's in the Indus River valley.