A strange restaurant experience

smokie36

Well my first restaurant thread on this forum so please be gentle. :D

Went to Bali Pizzeria in Laem Mae Phim last night for dinner.

Had some very average prawn cake to start (200 Baht!) and then this frankly excellent pepperoni pizza at 290 Baht.

post-78923-14235478353698_thumb.jpg

Thing is I went in with my Thai gf....and they seated us by the toilet....which she wasn't too happy about so asked to move to one of the other free tables.

Well the restaurant manager said to her that we couldn't...in case a larger group arrived. (These were 5 seat tables). Then she said we could sit at one but would have to move mid meal if they needed it. Well we stayed where we were.

They then seated groups of two at these tables within the next few minutes....and when bigger groups arrived no one was asked to move. So my fiery gf was quite annoyed by this....:o

What do you think?.....should we have got up and left?

Funny thing is all the other people sitting at these tables were not Thai...... I wonder whether that may have played a part......

I have no idea what Costa s rambling on about.

However, on the post you made I think you would have been perfectly justified in simply walking out, even if your order was being processed. I think your request to be moved was perfectly reasonable, except of course if the other tables had clear 'reserved' signs on them when you entered. I guess that's not the case.

That was not the case.

When I am traveling and working, I often just go for a quick bite. Regularly the staff points me to the worst possible table, near the entrance, the toilet, kitchen door, you name it. I politely point to the table I want and then they make their decision of selling a meal or not.

In your case, it was a plain insult and even directly into your face. of course you do not return and you gave them the publicity they deserve. Well-done. I can understand that you do not want a fight when going for a dinner with the gf. They factored that in when behaving in their very own way.

If you're really mad. Next time you go to a pizza place and have a large bill. Walk by them the next day. Ask for the manager, hand him the receipt and thank him for his behavior. Report back on his smug face.

Exactly ! Who in this world is going to tell me where to sit !

Feel pity for ridiculous foreigners....

When I go out, I choose the table, I simply don't wait for them to point me out where to sit, I don't even look at the waiter and if they go in another direction from where I found "my" table, i let them go, they always come back and take my order. :D That is of course if the restaurant isn't overbooked, then I let them sit me but I don't like noisy places so chances to see me in one of the noisy-full restaurants is low (except Shabushi where I go 1-2 times a month). :)

Tempest in a tea cup, me thinks. You don't like the table they give you' ask to move without ifs and buts. I work in a hotel and of course we try and maximize revenue but we will always try and accommodate guests and certainly won't move them once seated because a larger group comes in.

you are the customer, why let a waitress push you around?

you should have taken the offer of the table you wanted.

i was in japanese restaurant at the weekend. all the window tables were free but we were told we couldnt sit there because they were too hot. i told the waitress i would decide if it was too hot. we sat and it wasnt too hot. i saw waitresses not letting thai customers to sit there. dont know why they didnt want people using the best tables. they werent busy...

anyway, average food, the waitresses were pretty surly and they had to go looking for change when we paid cash. wont return.

Some good replies and a few of Pattaya's special forces taking time to reply too I see!

Just to clarify....I really wasn't bothered by the seating... I judge places mainly by the food however it was a bit odd.

Would I go back?

Well we won't be....I know better pizza places in Bangkok but if I lived here probably I would get it delivered in future.

I have no idea what Costa s rambling on about.

However, on the post you made I think you would have been perfectly justified in simply walking out, even if your order was being processed. I think your request to be moved was perfectly reasonable, except of course if the other tables had clear 'reserved' signs on them when you entered. I guess that's not the case.

I wouldn't have settled on the table by the toilet. The decision would have been easy - move to another table or walk out.

• Like 2

It just went wrong when "they seated us"

I've often been directed to, what I consider to be, unfavourable tables but have simply refused to sit at them.

The restaurant then has the choice of allowing us to sit where we choose or losing our business, obviously I would not demand to sit at a very large table if there were just the two of us but certainly one of our own choosing.

I've walked out of a few places but most just let us sit where we choose.

Every place has badly located seating, by the toilets, very close to the entry and exit points for the kitchen and so on.

Its down to the customer to refuse to sit at them and to be prepared to dine elsewhere if no other choice is given..

Edited by Likener1

I would have left when I saw 290B for one pizza.

I had a very nice Margherita this evening for 76B at Pizza Pizza at the Avenue, and my table was nowhere near the toilet.

But be fair KK if you wanted anything different to a Margherita it would have cost you potentially more than the 290 baht in that place............thumbsup.gif

But be fair KK if you wanted anything different to a Margherita it would have cost you potentially more than the 290 baht in that place............

It certainly would have cost more, but maybe not that much more: they also do a 20% member discount card.

you should have told them you have over 26,000 posts on TVF - they'd have rolled out the red carpet and let you sit where you like with a laptop included so you felt at home...........................just kidding ((((sort of)))))

what everyone else said blink.png