Couple earn over Bt1.5m from online cat scam

Thaivisa News

Bangkok:- A couple has allegedly made more than Bt1.5 million from their fraudulent online advertisements about cute cats for sale.

The free advertisements say Persian or Scottish Fold cats are available at a very cheap price. However, after hundreds of victims transferred money to the advertisers’ bank account, they have never really got a kitty.

Tammanit Thaowannee, 31, and his girlfriend are behind this fraudulent scheme, according to police.

“I’ve got this idea because I was once a victim of a similar scheme,” Tammanit told police.

Describing himself as a cat lover, he said he spent much money on his cat’s medical bill in 2013 and thus decided to start the fraud.

“There must have been over 250 victims already,” he said. While he is now in police detention, his girlfriend is still on the run.

Pol Maj General Panurat Lakboon, commander of Patrol and Special Operation Division, says police tracked down Tammanit after a group of victims came forward.

“He and his girlfriend have lured each of their victims to transfer between Bt5,000 and Bt27,000 to their bank account as a deposit for the cat that has never been delivered,” he says.

Rattana Norarat, one of the victims, says she lost Bt10,000 to this con couple last month and immediately lodged a complaint with a police.

“After that, I have also created a Facebook page to bring together other victims,” she says. Rattana’s group has found more than 50 victims and they are preparing to pursue legal actions against the alleged con couple together.

The title of the thread could be "Never pay for your kitty until you receive it and make sure that it's real."

Of course these people are doing something that is criminal, but just sending off money for a live animal that you haven't actually seen in person has to be criminally stupid. I would want to see what sort of conditions exist where the kitten was raised, both for its sake and to be sure I wasn't giving money to some kitten mill. And payment on delivery seems a reasonable expectation. How was it supposedly going to be delivered anyway? In a box through the post office??

Sad all around. It makes you wonder about the intelligence of all the people who proclaim that they've been scammed in Thailand. The very low hanging fruit is just begging to be plucked (or another word that sound remarkably similar).

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

"A couple has allegedly made more than Bt1.5 million from their fraudulent online advertisements about cute cats for sale"

“He and his girlfriend have lured each of their victims to transfer between Bt5,000 and Bt27,000 to their bank account as a deposit for the cat that has never been delivered,” he says.

“After that, I have also created a Facebook page to bring together other victims,” she says. Rattana’s group has found more than 50 victims and they are preparing to pursue legal actions against the alleged con couple together.

1.5 mil divided by 50 is 30k each.. Yet some people paid as little as 5000 and a max of 27000.. So either someone needs to redo the math, or there was a LOT more than 50 people ripped off.

"A couple has allegedly made more than Bt1.5 million from their fraudulent online advertisements about cute cats for sale"

1.5 mil divided by 50 is 30k each.. Yet some people paid as little as 5000 and a max of 27000.. So either someone needs to redo the math, or there was a LOT more than 50 people ripped off.

Someone also actually needs to read the story! There were 50 people found through the Facebook page set up to trace those scammed, the guy himself said there must have been over 250 people scammed! coffee1.gif

.....earn....???

...is this a Thai Buddhism thing...???

...all psycho thieves, lairs, cheaters, robbers, murderers are actually 'innocent victims'....

...justified in anything they do.....???

....except for non-Thais....???

...I do not think I have encountered any similar criminal psychological phenomenon....

or perhaps you could take the time to read the op where it states over 250 scammed.

The technicalities of the translation don't seem as important that yet another Thai is caught doing a criminal scam.

I find it frustrating that one cannot find a Thai man to do a labor job in Thailand but everyday the news reports yet another criminal scam by Thai people.

Where are all the workers? Where are all these guys sitting around thinking up another scam. These days to get a job done we have to employ Cambodians, Laos, and Vietnam people. The Thai man is siting on his backside thinking up his next criminal scam I reckon but he won't work for a buck anytime ever. Are all Thai, criminals waiting to get caught.