Millions of jellyfishes wash up on beaches in Chumphon

webfact

Millions of jellyfishes wash up on beaches in Chumphon

10-2-2558-14-22-25-wpcf_728x413.jpg

CHUMPHON: -- Millions of jellyfishes have washed up on numerous beaches along a 20-kilometre long east coast in Chumphon province, casting doubts among local residents and tourists of whether it was any indication of natural catastrophe.

Beaches all the way from Sapree to Thung Wualaen in Chumphon are now covered with millions of the jellyfishes.

Hundreds of local residents and tourists flocked the beaches watching and talking about the mystery of their arrival on shore.

One sea turtle of 3-4 years old was also sighted dead among the huge number of dead jellyfishes.

A village headman Pisit Leeviriyapaibul said the jellyfish is not harmful as it is a specie of ring jellyfish.

It is like a small cube with transparent body and is not poisonous, he said.

He said he has reported the phenomenon to the Fishery Research and Development Centre in the Gulf of Thailand to inspect and collect samples of the jellyfishes for investigation.

Jellyfishes normally live below the sea surface but their influx is believed to be caused by rising water temperatures.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/millions-jellyfishes-wash-beaches-chumphon

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-10

My wife who worked as a squid boat pilot out from Chumpon when she was in her teens, shrugged and said she had seen it before. She suggested toxic algae following warmer currents. Me, I'm waiting for the locusts, frogs and fire balls.

seen it on the andaman side years ago...millions....