JV on Thai high-speed railway proposed

webfact

JAPAN TRIP
JV on high-speed railway proposed

THE NATION
TOKYO

30253809-02_big.jpg

Prayut happy with outcome of japan visit; says election expected in early 2016

BANGKOK: -- THE GOVERNMENT yesterday proposed a joint-venture model to Japan for collaboration in building Thai railroads running high-speed trains, a system the prime minister said would be fruitful for the Kingdom and improve its people's standard of living.

"We proposed a joint-venture model to Japan for collaboration on the construction of the [1.435-metre-gauge] railroads," General Prayut Chan-o-cha said on the last day of his three-day visit to Japan.

The prime minister said he believed that if Thailand could build a high-speed rail network, it would be beneficial to the country in terms of trade, and would also benefit low-income earners. Areas along the rail lines, and areas around the stations, could be made commercial venues, he said.

On the rail-system project, both parties on Monday signed a memorandum of intent on the study and development of three routes - the "urgent" phase - which would connect both the East-West and North-South Economic Corridors.

One of these would be the route linking Myanmar's Dawei Special Economic Zone to the eastern border areas of Thailand via Phu Nam Ron in Kanchanaburi, Bangkok, Chacho-engsao and Aranyaprathet district in Sa Kaew province.

Prayut commented on the matter yesterday after being briefed by Hiroshi Muto, vice minister for transport, tourism and international affairs at the Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism Ministry, on Japan's rail routes and rail-system development.

Muto also confirmed that Japanese experience and technology could be adopted for the development plan of the Thai rail system.

Meanwhile, Prayut, who marvelled at the advancement of Japanese technology, said Thailand planned to develop 1.435-metre tracks in the initial stage.

Shinkansen-type high-speed trains would be a future plan for Thai rail-system development, and would also depend on Japanese support, the PM said. After the briefing, Prayut and his delegation visited the Shinkansen Control Centre in Tokyo, before taking a ride on one of the "bullet trains" to Osaka.

The prime minister said he was pleased with what had been achieved during the three-day trip, during which the two nations held talks about cooperation in many dimensions, including a reduction in problems related to trade and investment, as well as finding ways to improve people's standard of living.

Prayut also met with representatives of five private business organisations in Kansai - the Kansai Economic Federation, or Kankeiran - before flying back to Bangkok in the evening.

Kansai is one of Japan's most important industrial zones, housing the headquarters of many large electronics and electrical firms, such as Sanyo Electronic, Konika Minolta, Mitsubishi Electric, Kyocera, Sharp and Panasonic.

As for the political situation, Prayut, who became prime minister after seizing power from an elected government, stressed to his Japanese hosts that progress was being made on the restoration of full democracy.

On behalf of the government and Thai people, he thanked the Japanese people for their concern about the political situation and said the constitution-drafting process was about to be completed - with a general election expected to be held early next year.

He added that his government was only assuming the role of state administration for a short transitional period, which he claimed was a crucial moment for the future of all Thai people.

The prime minister also gave an assurance that Thailand had been making an utmost effort in resolving its internal problems in a comprehensive manner, and would soon become a country with a sustainable and strong democracy.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/JV-on-high-speed-railway-proposed-30253809.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-11

"it would be beneficial to the country in terms of trade, and would also benefit low-income earners. Areas along the rail lines, and areas around the stations, could be made commercial venues, he said."

Oh Goody, just what Thailand needs, even more shopping-malls, and hundreds-of-mile-long ones, at that ! rolleyes.gif

Yay for Progress ! laugh.png

Handed to on a silver platter from Yingluck cabinet for the junta to claim credit. Dawei, infrastructure projects and the high speed train and perhaps more. I don't see the naysayers and critics now that were so vocal when all these projects were announced by Yingluck.

Can't you comprehend the difference between a high speed passenger service and (relatively) high speed freight?

Do you think Thaksin is still going to get his grubby paws into Dawei, with government assistance and access to cabinet meetings?

• Like 1

I think the Thai Generals realized the Japanese are very quick to build railways. The "Death Railway" in Kanchanaburi only took 13 months, and today it is still running. Hopefully the new railway will not claim as many lives.

Yep and that was a kind of Thai Japanese JV as well---ExPatt

----

.......Don't forget the British input ExPatt,.................... coffee1.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Where did they get the train carriage in the photo. I have never seen one of these comfortable and clean looking ones in Thailand and never saw passengers in suits.

He was in JAPAN and rode the train!

"Meanwhile, Prayut, who marvelled at the advancement of Japanese technology, said Thailand planned to develop 1.435-metre tracks in the initial stage."

Yes, general, this is what can happen when children are provided with an excellent education and society is not hung up on "saving face".

However the results will take a generation to appear and the general population must make excellent education one of their top priorities.

Good luck Thailand!

Edited by Traveling Sailor
  • Like 1

ExPratt - You might want to update your vocabulary. The term "Japs" went out of "style" a long, long time ago. It's considered offensive and derogatory by most civilized and educated people.

yes the term japs is out of style so we better use nips as used by most civilized and educated people

Handed to on a silver platter from Yingluck cabinet for the junta to claim credit. Dawei, infrastructure projects and the high speed train and perhaps more. I don't see the naysayers and critics now that were so vocal when all these projects were announced by Yingluck.

Can't you comprehend the difference between a high speed passenger service and (relatively) high speed freight?

Do you think Thaksin is still going to get his grubby paws into Dawei, with government assistance and access to cabinet meetings?

It's your comprehension that is the problem between a high speed passenger train and a high speed passenger and freight train which mades a lot of economic sense. I can't comment on Thaksin as I can't read future and I don't speculate like you do.

BTW, didn't the constitution court in ruling against the landmark 2 T infrastructure case said that high speed train is not really necessary for Thailand. Would they say this to the PM?

A mental connection has just clicked. These trains will be slower than proposed by Yingluk, who is not allowed to leave the country. They need her to upgrade the lunch boxes!

They won't require lunch boxes....these trains will be so fast between destinations...there simply won't be enough time to eat lunch

ExPratt - You might want to update your vocabulary. The term "Japs" went out of "style" a long, long time ago. It's considered offensive and derogatory by most civilized and educated people.

Aye is ExPratt a Brit ? I'm a Brit, should I find the term Brit offensive ? It's pretty much the same a calling someone from Japan a Jap.

Glad you didn't find him calling the Chinese, kitchens abusive, if you didn't get it, it is long hand short hand for kitchen sink, Chink.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well I'm neither of those so it doesn't apply to me.

Just faster to type mate , no offence meant

Aye is ExPratt a Brit ? I'm a Brit, should I find the term Brit offensive ? It's pretty much the same a calling someone from Japan a Jap.

Glad you didn't find him calling the Chinese, kitchens abusive, if you didn't get it, it is long hand short hand for kitchen sink, Chink.

Grasssmile.png

I'm originally from Stratford East London and am a West Ham supporter just like Alf Garnet

Perhaps it is because the projects are more transparent than being "off budget" under the PTP.