Where Are Those Condo Projects Now?

I've been saving The Nation Property Guides - the quarterly insert with all the beautiful artist conceptions of the latest skyscraper condos for sale (pre-launch) etc. I've been trying to find out what happened to these places since then. Some of these condo developments (from as long as 2 years ago) appear to have either stalled or I simply can't find any further info about them. For all I know they are already built and owner-occupied. Often the Website addresses don't work, etc.

Obviously I've done Google searches and tried the more obvious things, but does anyone have any further info on whether these places have been finished, whether they are still selling units, or whether they've been shelved?

Info is hard to find on:

The Legend (I believe others have been following this)

The Regent (others have been watching this too)

St Louis Grand Terrace

Colony Lumpini Park

Elite Residence

Silver Heritage

Supalai Oriental Place

Baan Sathorn Chaopraya

Avenue 61

Fullerton Sukhumvit

Supalai Premier Place

Royal Saladaeng

Some that did appear to be doing 'something':

Ficus Lane (but unclear on whether units still available)

The Sansiri projects (website says some sold out)

Noble Lite (Soi Aree area) building appears finished and according to sales staff is sold out.

Any other info or Web addresses would be appreciated.

Baan Sathorn Chaopraya next to Taksin Bridge is open and about 70% full (so they say). It's not really the type of place I'd buy as it has a cheap and shabby feel about it (well thats my opinion).

Also, the BTS station they were promising when building it still has not been built (though its being worked on).

One thing to remember buying a condo is to realise that if you buy a concrete-shell type, you could suffer from 5+ years (or worse) of daily construction noise as owners buy and develop.

I've been saving The Nation Property Guides - the quarterly insert with all the beautiful artist conceptions of the latest skyscraper condos for sale (pre-launch) etc. I've been trying to find out what happened to these places since then. Some of these condo developments (from as long as 2 years ago) appear to have either stalled or I simply can't find any further info about them. For all I know they are already built and owner-occupied. Often the Website addresses don't work, etc.

Obviously I've done Google searches and tried the more obvious things, but does anyone have any further info on whether these places have been finished, whether they are still selling units, or whether they've been shelved?

Info is hard to find on:

St Louis Grand Terrace

Colony Lumpini Park

Elite Residence

Silver Heritage

Supalai Oriental Place

Baan Sathorn Chaopraya

Avenue 61

Fullerton Sukhumvit

Supalai Premier Place

Royal Saladaeng

Noble Lite (Soi Aree area) building appears finished and according to sales staff is sold out.

What's your point, wise guy???? Are you interested in buying them or are you just out to fish for info?

:o

"Supalai Oriental Place"

Fully sold out before construction 50% finished. Construction completed in April (about 3 months late) and turnover to owners started. About 30% occupied now with new people moving in every week. Almost exclusively middle-class Thais with just a couple of Farangs. We met 3 sets of parents at the closing that bought studios (@ 2.5 mil) for their 20 something children to live in. Appears many units sold to speculators and people expecting to rent out. I am not sure what rents are as the first ones are just becoming available, but units available for re-sale are going for about 20%-30% above pre-construction prices.

TH

Baan Sathorn Chaopraya next to Taksin Bridge is open and about 70% full (so they say). It's not really the type of place I'd buy as it has a cheap and shabby feel about it (well thats my opinion).

Also, the BTS station they were promising when building it still has not been built (though its being worked on).

One thing to remember buying a condo is to realise that if you buy a concrete-shell type, you could suffer from 5+ years (or worse) of daily construction noise as owners buy and develop.

Thanks Palm. Is that development same company as Supulai towers near Central Lad Prao? I had the same feeling about that place. Also thanks for a really good tip about the construction noise as buyers kit out the suites. Never considered that!

"Maybe the OP just wanted a correlation..."

Perhaps. A day on the metro and cab would allow the OP to check out every project he listed, if he had the initiative.

...or if he had the time. What's up with you BackFlip?

I'm interested in the condo market..and yes I may buy a place eventually. But there's so much style and often so little substance in Thai 'marketing' that you have to really dig to get to the reality. You know that as well as I do. So that's why I'm trying to figure out what is really still out there..and what never was.

Assuming that you were actually interested in investing in Thai real estate, you would take the time. You expect TVers to do your homework for you, when virtually all of the info you want is available online, including this discussion forum. If you don't have the time to educate yourself, play it safe and rent.

Perhaps. A day on the metro and cab would allow the OP to check out every project he listed, if he had the initiative.

How's a personal visit to an empty lot going to let you know if the project is shitcanned or simply stalled?

Simple. A phonecall to the sales office that listed on the sales brochure would tell. A disconnected phone would seem to indicate either the project is dead or sold out.

The OP reminds me of a teenage boy going to a car show. He'll grab a copy of every brochure because "he's interested in cars". He'll get home with 50 pounds of brochures gaze longingly at them, and put them away - never buying anything. The OP evidently went to a housing fair @ the Queen Sirikit Center, grabbing evey brochure he could find because "he is interested in real estate". He got home, gazed longingly at them...and then put them aside for two years. He has brochures that cover every area of Bangkok metro, condos that are low-rise and condos that are high-rise, condos that went for THB 1 million for a studio that is smaller than a walk-in closet and condos that go for THB 30 million. The OP doesn't know where he wants to live, doesn't know how much he should spend, or even if the condos exist. He simply doesn't sound like a real buyer, rather someone who is....interested.

Simple. A phonecall to the sales office that listed on the sales brochure would tell. A disconnected phone would seem to indicate either the project is dead or sold out.

The OP reminds me of a teenage boy going to a car show. He'll grab a copy of every brochure because "he's interested in cars". He'll get home with 50 pounds of brochures gaze longingly at them, and put them away - never buying anything. The OP evidently went to a housing fair @ the Queen Sirikit Center, grabbing evey brochure he could find because "he is interested in real estate". He got home, gazed longingly at them...and then put them aside for two years. He has brochures that cover every area of Bangkok metro, condos that are low-rise and condos that are high-rise, condos that went for THB 1 million for a studio that is smaller than a walk-in closet and condos that go for THB 30 million. The OP doesn't know where he wants to live, doesn't know how much he should spend, or even if the condos exist. He simply doesn't sound like a real buyer, rather someone who is....interested.

Well said......Exactly what I was thinking..............Spot on mate! He aint got a clue init :o

Info is hard to find on:

St Louis Grand Terrace

Colony Lumpini Park

Elite Residence

Silver Heritage

Supalai Oriental Place

Baan Sathorn Chaopraya

Avenue 61

Fullerton Sukhumvit

Supalai Premier Place

Royal Saladaeng

Bro, check out skyscrapercity thailand.com, you will get all the property information at your finger tip. :o

Well said......Exactly what I was thinking..............Spot on mate! He aint got a clue init :o

Who are these clowns? Whats wrong with checking out an internet forum for answers? Isnt that the WHOLE point of the internet? To make information available at your fingertips?

As for the guy who said he aint got a clue, so frickin what!!! Thats why hes asking here innit! :D .

There's nothing wrong with being interested. The problem is that the OP has no initiative, and expects to be spoonfed. If you read his original post, he claimed he was interested in (among two dozen other properties) the Regeants, and then claimed there was no way possible to obtain any information whatsoever on this condo project. If he had bothered to actually check the forum, he would have seen an extended thread, including photographs, of this project. He's lazy, and he wants you to do his footwork. Distilled to its essence, the question remains "what are his intentions". Does he intend to buy? Nope. He intends to look for another few months, becoming bored and putting his interest on hold...for a couple more years.

There's at least one online source that summarizes all of the metro Bangkok condo projects, their launch date, the condo availability date, the size of the project, and the costs involved. It even includes several projects that the OP didn't ask about. The influx of "new" condo units only represents a small fraction of the actual available units. I'm sure that piques the OP's interest, and has given him yet another excuse not to buy.

Fullerton on Sukhumvit is vrtually finished and looks pretty good.

The one I am buying at Vista Gardens on Suk 61 seems on schedule , I brought 15 months before completion date, so I will let you know if they complete on time (due April 07)

TP

backflip

rather someone who is....interested.

whats wrong with being just interested. i dont see why you are getting so incredibly aggressive about this simple request for information.

if you are unable or you are unwilling to provide the information then just stop posting.

Seconed on that ,if you have no input that helps why bother, surley you are too busy to reply!!!!!

There's nothing wrong with being interested. The problem is that the OP has no initiative, and expects to be spoonfed. If you read his original post, he claimed he was interested in (among two dozen other properties) the Regeants, and then claimed there was no way possible to obtain any information whatsoever on this condo project. If he had bothered to actually check the forum, he would have seen an extended thread, including photographs, of this project. He's lazy, and he wants you to do his footwork. Distilled to its essence, the question remains "what are his intentions". Does he intend to buy? Nope. He intends to look for another few months, becoming bored and putting his interest on hold...for a couple more years.

There's at least one online source that summarizes all of the metro Bangkok condo projects, their launch date, the condo availability date, the size of the project, and the costs involved. It even includes several projects that the OP didn't ask about. The influx of "new" condo units only represents a small fraction of the actual available units. I'm sure that piques the OP's interest, and has given him yet another excuse not to buy.

Hey fella,

This whole forum is full of people that dont have anything better to do. Thats the nature of internet forums. Why cant he shoot in the dark and let you give him some answers?

Anyway, ive never met an attractive Shirley, so you sound about on the mark! :o

Thanks for the info to those who've replied. I'll follow up on those.

To Backflip and Naturalpoints - suspend your disbelief. I've been saving the Property Guide's from The Nation because I DO plan to buy something. But I'm not a fan of buying "Off Plan". That's why I saved them - to see which ones would actually become more than a leveled lot with a few stray Soi dogs.

But like others, I'm skeptical of the prices that were being asked in a lot of these places - sat on the sidelies while the speculative frenzy played itself out for the last two years. Now that the stupid prices are starting to disappear..my interest is piqued again.

Some of the Websites are inactive as I said - and others don't even say exactly where these places are!

The amount I'm willing to spend ranges. A good Grade-B in a reasonable area and I'd spend 40,000 B / Sq. M.

But if a Grade-A in a similar situation/location came along at 50,000 - 55,000 I'd look at that as well.

Can I post on "your" Website again?

One more post-script to BackFlip. The reason for gathering as much info about ALL the places is to find the median market price. You get the price/metre from ALL the developments to gauge what's a correct price for the market. Because the prices vary widely, you then need to collect other info on each of these places and start doing comparisons. More info the better - more people give their views on different places the more you know. Like someone else said staring at an empty lot or partially finished building doesn't tell you enough.

It's common sense actually so in that context you're right BackFlip it's 'Kids stuff'. But it's a lot better than a wank in the dark..

The amount I'm willing to spend ranges. A good Grade-B in a reasonable area and I'd spend 40,000 B / Sq. M.

But if a Grade-A in a similar situation/location came along at 50,000 - 55,000 I'd look at that as well.

Personally, I don't think you will be able to find true "Grade A" in a good location (CBD, Lumpini, Suk 39-55, etc.) at anywhere near 50-55k. Plaza Athenee, Met, etc. are at the very least double that price. If you do find true Grade A at 50k in those areas, tell me, I'll buy the entire building.

However, you may be able to find some livable non-Grade A condos in non-central locations at 50k/sqm. If that is your budget, then I'd consider looking a bit lower on the luxury scale, or a bit further from prime locations.

thaigene,

The OP can calculate a median price, and he can calculate a mean price, for the entire Bangkok metro area. However, these statistics have NOTHING to do with a fair market value of a specific property. As another poster indicated, the OP wants to pay an unrealistically low price for property, assuring that his interest will remain just that.

Personally, I don't think you will be able to find true "Grade A" in a good location (CBD, Lumpini, Suk 39-55, etc.) at anywhere near 50-55k. Plaza Athenee, Met, etc. are at the very least double that price. If you do find true Grade A at 50k in those areas, tell me, I'll buy the entire building.

However, you may be able to find some livable non-Grade A condos in non-central locations at 50k/sqm. If that is your budget, then I'd consider looking a bit lower on the luxury scale, or a bit further from prime locations.

Posters use the term Grade A and Grade B condos. I'm not familar with the projectss mentioned. Would somebody please clarify for me ......what is a Grade A and Grade B condo?

backflip, people like thaigene2 post on this forum so that industry people, like myself, can reply and give them info not otherwise readily available, even if pounding the sidewalks.

thaigene2, a few quick points. most on your list are completed or near completion. although i am not sure about the status of the colony and the regent is taking a long time, as we know. sales performance also vary, the supalai projects generally sell out because of the price point and reputation of the developer. but some higher priced projects in difficult locations and undertaken by smaller developers are still struggling. i think avenue 61 might be one of the slower selling projects, as well as ficus lane.

as to the meaning of grade A versus grade B, its widely used to denote luxury-end as opposed to more middle-market qualities in condo projects. no strict definition applies and depends on who you talk to. for example CBRE may have a slightly different definition of grade A than say jones lang lasalle. generally, we look at things like location and access, number of lifts serving the units (dedicated? high speed? etc), exclusive condo use with security (versus mixed use and shared entrances), facilities and conveniences, floor to ceiling height, built-in aircon versus split units, bathroom and kitchen fixtures, common area quality, separate service entrance, flooring and wall finishes and so on.

i'm sorry to hear you have hung on and waited while prices jumped in the last 2 years. higher end projects in the downtown areas are now typically in to 90k to 130k psm range. 'grade' B in say sukhumvit has also risen to 70-85k psm range. i'm talking average prices. i don't see prices coming down in the near future because construction costs continue to increase, although land prices are stabalising a bit. market absorption of both grade A and B projects continue to be relatively healthy even if not stellar. of course there are lousy projects that bomb, but it shouldn't be taken to mean the whole market is failing. i think the industry will continue to consolidate around larger and more professional developers who are also able to hold on to prices, but at the same time guarantee completion and quality. in other words, the market is slowly maturing.

cheers.

Posters use the term Grade A and Grade B condos. I'm not familar with the projectss mentioned. Would somebody please clarify for me ......what is a Grade A and Grade B condo?

That's actually a question which does not have a concrete answer as the previous poster has mentioned. In referring to "grades" of properties, what is most often considered is the location of the project and the materials used in construction and finishing. Of course, the maintenance of common areas, layout of rooms and floors, elevator/room ratio, etc. etc. all factor into the "grade."

Incidentally, the market in Thailand is rather strange in this manner as more often than not, price is an indicator of grade, not vice versa. However flawed the logic may be, prices on average should reflect the grade (excluding the outliers), so this logic is passable...

When all is said and done, "grade" is a very dynamic term whose definition varies tremendously... what it comes down to is price per sqare meter... I don't think you would have anybody argue that The Met was grade A and that Supalai (pick a project) was grade B (or lower)... hence the prices of 100K-130K per sqm at The Met and prices half that or less at the Supalai projects...