SRT alcohol sale/consumption ban still in force?

roo4

I'm preparing for the overnight train trip from Bangkok to Butterworth to apply for a new visa in Penang. Does anyone know whether the SRT ban on alcohol sales is still in force? Is discreet tippling of own beer supplies possible?

No alcohol in the restaurant wagon. Big signs everywhere that alcohol consumption is forbidden on SRT.

After Rachaburi a railroad police man walked through the train; it looked like he was specififically looking for what people was drinking.

No alcohol in the restaurant wagon. Big signs everywhere that alcohol consumption is forbidden on SRT.

After Rachaburi a railroad police man walked through the train; it looked like he was specififically looking for what people was drinking.

Hehe....so some kind of colorless liquor like gin or vodka in a water bottle it becomes.

They also prohibited alcohol in national parks some time ago, but I know that in at least one national park where many people stay overnight, the national park restaurant stocks beer (again).

I just went to Chiang Mai and back and signs that banned... It was a sleeper though, and not sure how they would know what is going on inside your compartment but I don't sleep well without a bit to drink... It was 2:30 AM before I could sleep on way up there, without it... :(

Crazy, some train staff commit a terrible crime and the passengers are "punished", such is life.

I made that same journey last week and didn't happen to notice, other that to say the alcohol prohibited signs were up, but saying that its non smoking also, and thats ignored.

Just to let you know, in the past you could step of the train walk to the end of the platform, pass through a gate, up a ramp and you were at the ferry. they have well and truely messed up the station. Now you climb about 50 steps, then down four flights of stairs. I actually counted the steps on the way back, there were 160+ of which 80 could be avoided with the use of a single lift.

Again, for the first time I asked the money exchanger on the train the rate for £'s, it was 4.8, I declined and used HSBC in Penang and got 5.5, the other money changers offered about 5.3.

Sorry, one last one. There is a sign at the booking office "all trains to Thailand fully booked until Feb 22", so I suggest you book in BKK, not sure whats happening but the train was half empty when I left!

just to let you and the wider community know.