PM initiates idea to build high-speed trains to Pattaya and Hua Hin

webfact

How can you seriously put a train doing 300Kph on line 150km long to a holiday resort, The Chinese done it on Tianjin line 120ish ks , but that's from Beijing to an Tianjin which is the 4th biggest city in China,Population 14 million But Bangkok to Pattaya , couple of dozen piss heads and ladyboys. Never happen far too expensive

There is also a container port near Pattaya and the largest manufaturing base in Bangkok. The idea has always been to make a container train connecting China through Nong Kai, down to Pattaya with a branch line to Bangkok. The idea has very little to do with Thailand and much more to do with China wanting to further exploit Yunnan. Much the same as the project on the Mekong at the moment.

Laem Chabang port and the Mapthaput/Rayong industrial area would be a target for an efficient and modernized freight system that would allow containerized freight to move from China to Thailand's eastern seaboard utilizing modern rolling stock and locomotives. HST has no place in that system..

If China wants a faster connection to Europe and the middle east, the ports in Myanmar would be the answer.

The section which goes from Yunnan to Myanmar is already under constuction. They also want to link to the port near Pattaya and on down to Singapore. Not sure why you think that linking to the Gulf of Thailand would be about connecting with Europe or the Middle East but I doubt that they are that daft. The truth is, from Yunnan, Bangkoks ports are closer than their own ports in China, and from the Gulf of Thailand they have access to markets in Indonesia, Malaysia and Australia. It would be the Myanmar ports that would be for Europe and the Middle East, at least until they complete the next stage of a high speed rail link with Istanbul.

As for HST having no place linking sea ports with manufacturing, it would seem that China disagrees with you. They have long been planning a high speed container train which, starting in SE ASIA, they hope to eventually link Europe, Africa and the Americas, and completely do away with costly, slow and polluting container ships. They claim that they will be able to being stock from the manufacturer in China to the consumer in Europe in less than 2 weeks.

sort of on subject, remember watching a few years ago

Jeremy Clarkson doing the test Scotland to London by car v by train.... was as cheap by car than by train !!! and that was with just one person so if more than one is in a car works out a lot cheaper by car....... If I can remember is was something like a Audi 8 diesel, so no cheap ECO car.... the 3 Top Gear guys have done a number of different test train v car in the UK so not 100% sure it was a Audi A8 but was a big Luxury car....

Expensive high speed trains in Thailand cannot see that many people using... you have to get to the station and then without transport the other end ? OK High speed to C.M area or/and to the south OK, guess many tourist will use..

On another subject have no idea, but all these crossings, bridges, buying land etc, would it be that much more to build a rail line off the ground ? would never have accidents with cars/trucks/cows/people....... here the BTS is off the ground, other Countries have trams on the ground + accidents

They bought same day tickets, in the UK that means paying 5 times as much as if they had bought them 1 month in advance. Did it cost 5 times less to drive the car? No. Does the train operator still make a profit from early booked tickets? Yes. Were you correct in your assumption that last minute ticket prices reflect train running costs? No.

No idea, last time I used a train in the UK was about 45 years ago. [my late teens]... did look at the price in 1999 S.W to Edinburgh for me a my Thai friend, booking many months before, was a lot cheaper to fly Bristol to Edinburgh, flying was maybe even cheaper than 2 of use driving + was only for 4 days so did not want to spend all that time driving

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How can you seriously put a train doing 300Kph on line 150km long to a holiday resort, The Chinese done it on Tianjin line 120ish ks , but that's from Beijing to an Tianjin which is the 4th biggest city in China,Population 14 million But Bangkok to Pattaya , couple of dozen piss heads and ladyboys. Never happen far too expensive

There is also a container port near Pattaya and the largest manufaturing base in Bangkok. The idea has always been to make a container train connecting China through Nong Kai, down to Pattaya with a branch line to Bangkok. The idea has very little to do with Thailand and much more to do with China wanting to further exploit Yunnan. Much the same as the project on the Mekong at the moment.

Laem Chabang port and the Mapthaput/Rayong industrial area would be a target for an efficient and modernized freight system that would allow containerized freight to move from China to Thailand's eastern seaboard utilizing modern rolling stock and locomotives. HST has no place in that system..

If China wants a faster connection to Europe and the middle east, the ports in Myanmar would be the answer.

The section which goes from Yunnan to Myanmar is already under constuction. They also want to link to the port near Pattaya and on down to Singapore. Not sure why you think that linking to the Gulf of Thailand would be about connecting with Europe or the Middle East but I doubt that they are that daft. The truth is, from Yunnan, Bangkoks ports are closer than their own ports in China, and from the Gulf of Thailand they have access to markets in Indonesia, Malaysia and Australia. It would be the Myanmar ports that would be for Europe and the Middle East, at least until they complete the next stage of a high speed rail link with Istanbul.

As for HST having no place linking sea ports with manufacturing, it would seem that China disagrees with you. They have long been planning a high speed container train which, starting in SE ASIA, they hope to eventually link Europe, Africa and the Americas, and completely do away with costly, slow and polluting container ships. They claim that they will be able to being stock from the manufacturer in China to the consumer in Europe in less than 2 weeks.

Have the actually built this "High speed container train" Think it may be pie in the Sky , Freight trans and heavy haul Tracks are notoriously heavy Maintenance. The weight difference between a freight which can be half a KM long and a passenger train is massive

If you believe only a couple of piss heads and some lady boys ever travel to Pattaya every day, I know where you spend your days washing away reality

all you need to do is see the hundred of Thais that catch the Vans from Victor monument every day plus all the other Thai pick up places

the buses that carry the merchants who buy goods in Bkk to sell in Pattaya

when we lived in Pattaya many years ago my Thai wife made 2 trips a day to Bkk picking up goods for her Thai employer

Look at the 4-5 star accommodation hotels in Pattaya on a long weekend where Thai families go for a summer beach holiday in Pattaya

impossible to get an empty room

It seems many Farlang thing of Pattaya as only a sex city and not take the time to see the commerce here with Thai's

So okay I will agree that purist Farlang can make a quick trip to Pattaya in 30 mins live his dreams and be back in Bkk in 2 hrs time

will see the trains full and many long lunch hours

• Like 1

Finally some positive news...

Connecting these 2 beach destinations with Bangkok by high speed trains is a big step forward.

Even Thais will be able to live full time beside the beach and work in the Capital.

Just hope it gonna really happen and in future extend the lines towards Samui Phuket.

His intentions and thoughts are good.

Thailand has to join the more technologically advanced countries.

And it will be great for tourism and also for Thais.

What I'm worried about and expressed my worries before when Yingluck initiated the high speed train introduction to Thailand, is the operation, handling and maintenance of these trains.

I wish, I could trust the Thais more and have more confidence in them..........but again I could be wrong........as many good posters remind me constantly.

My worthless opinion is try to upgrade the existing trains, maintain the trucks properly. and do something about rail crossing safety and then look to the high speed trains.

I am surprised by the different messages that come every day. One day the Chinese are to build the new tracks, next day the Japanese and now everyone is invited. Indeed building the tracks alone is not enough. Whoever builds the infrastructure has to run the system at least for some time until trained locals can take over the job. And then we would not read any more about funny ideas of a high speed train running on 1 m tracks.

All in all a good and absolute necessary idea to improve the train infrastructure including tracks free of road crsssings. With high speed trains starting at BKK Suvana even more remote and beautiful areas like those south of Pratchuab KK can be developed. And as long as the tracks are not fully used by passenger trains or at night they can be used for freight reducing truck traffic on the roads.

Anyone who has been in Hua Hin and particularly in Chaam can't help but notice the place has taken off like a rocket.

Land has more than doubled in price Chang Beer are still buying land just north of Chaam and in 5 to 10 years time the coast from Huahin through Chaam up towards Petchburi will become the biggest resort on Thailand if not asia.

This train is all part of a master plan to bring more Families to Thailand for a holiday where they don't have to watch boys at play.

So when you get off your fight it will be Mums Dads and kids to the left please and Sex maniacs to the right..or is it the the way round?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Have the actually built this "High speed container train" Think it may be pie in the Sky , Freight trans and heavy haul Tracks are notoriously heavy Maintenance. The weight difference between a freight which can be half a KM long and a passenger train is massive

No, they have not yet built this container train, they haven't even built the track yet! But they have been planning it for the past 10 years. And there is already the BMW container train from China to Poland, that is not a high speed train, it just runs on the Trans-Siberian tracks, seems to be ok to run this weight of train on a normal track without any improvements.

That is funny. There should be some sort of rail link. Not everything needs to be high speed. Something with a bar car that cuts the travel time in half would be worth while.

No, they have not yet built this container train, they haven't even built the track yet! But they have been planning it for the past 10 years. And there is already the BMW container train from China to Poland, that is not a high speed train, it just runs on the Trans-Siberian tracks, seems to be ok to run this weight of train on a normal track without any improvements.

Can pretty much run on any line with Man enough rail , Its the damage and wear they put on the Track , Usually freight trains are not maintained to the same standard as Passenger trains and the old or worn wheels can damage the Rails , also the weight can be a problem in itself, If you had a "High Speed" Freight you'd have to put t on its own Railway it would damage a Passenger High speed line and the tolerances are too low on HS to get away with it

Jeremy Clarkson doing the test Scotland to London by car v by train.... was as cheap by car than by train !!! and that was with just one person so if more than one is in a car works out a lot cheaper by car....... If I can remember is was something like a Audi 8 diesel, so no cheap ECO car.... the 3 Top Gear guys have done a number of different test train v car in the UK so not 100% sure it was a Audi A8 but was a big Luxury car....

Expensive high speed trains in Thailand cannot see that many people using... you have to get to the station and then without transport the other end ? OK High speed to C.M area or/and to the south OK, guess many tourist will use..

On another subject have no idea, but all these crossings, bridges, buying land etc, would it be that much more to build a rail line off the ground ? would never have accidents with cars/trucks/cows/people....... here the BTS is off the ground, other Countries have trams on the ground + accidents

They bought same day tickets, in the UK that means paying 5 times as much as if they had bought them 1 month in advance. Did it cost 5 times less to drive the car? No. Does the train operator still make a profit from early booked tickets? Yes. Were you correct in your assumption that last minute ticket prices reflect train running costs? No.

No idea, last time I used a train in the UK was about 45 years ago. [my late teens]... did look at the price in 1999 S.W to Edinburgh for me a my Thai friend, booking many months before, was a lot cheaper to fly Bristol to Edinburgh, flying was maybe even cheaper than 2 of use driving + was only for 4 days so did not want to spend all that time driving

The reason is government subsidies, in the UK there is no VAT on plane tickets and no tax on aviation fuel, this costs the UK 9 billion a year in lost revenue.

How many of you have actually travelled on a high-speed train? Anywhere? In Taiwan, where I worked for a while, the HST runs the length of the country from Taipei to Kaohsiung (about 320 Km) with a half-dozen stations in-between, about 50 ~ 60 Km apart. For the most part, the track is elevated, partly for earthquake-proofing, and also to free-up the farmland under it. A side benefit is that no cows, elephants, useless-drivers can get stuck on rail-crossings - there are none!

Thailand has been conducting "studies" of trains to China, Bkk to everywhere, etc... since mid 1980's. IMHO, the actual tracks never get built, but the studies are enough to generate enough revenue to provide a consistant flow of tea to a lot of "train study" backers.

• Like 1

How many of you have actually travelled on a high-speed train? Anywhere? In Taiwan, where I worked for a while, the HST runs the length of the country from Taipei to Kaohsiung (about 320 Km) with a half-dozen stations in-between, about 50 ~ 60 Km apart. For the most part, the track is elevated, partly for earthquake-proofing, and also to free-up the farmland under it. A side benefit is that no cows, elephants, useless-drivers can get stuck on rail-crossings - there are none!

I was on the construction of that from 2002 to 2005, at Tainan, Chayi and Taichung. Was a decent project , went with the Japanese system on plain track and German Rheda System though stations and crossovers. 25 Billion USD I believe, Irrc the whole system is on viaduct until you get into Taipei

Edited by ExPratt
  • Like 1

The reason is government subsidies, in the UK there is no VAT on plane tickets and no tax on aviation fuel, this costs the UK 9 billion a year in lost revenue.

UK is a classic example of why railways shouldn't be privatised and need to be subsidised by their parent countries - see every other transport system in the EU.

both th British and the French wanted to build railway systems in Thailand, but the government back then decided it was best for Thailand to build their own.....so they never had any kind of railway to compare with their neighbours and th situation today is a dire as ever.

yet again foreign powers are wanting to build railways......

This is and always has been because thy see this to be to their own advantage - but Thailand will also benefit - if they just get organised and make sure it is done correctly - a snowflakes chance in hell of that, though.

Getting up one morning and "ordering" a railway to be built, cannot be seen as anything more than a populist dictum aimed at enhancing the reputation of the government.

K. Prayuth is getting more and more reminiscent of Mussolini every day - "At least he made the trains run on time"

Edited by cumgranosalum

All very well thought out, and researched re: the previous proposition(s) of the idea.. not.. by the self-appointed PM!, '.. the high-speed train project from Bangkok to Pattaya OR Hua Hin MIGHT BE a joint venture in a Public-Private Partnership (PPP). Thai and.. (er, pleeeeeease!!..) foreign investors were both welcomed, said the premier.'.. not like this is a new, fresh and innovative idea, to be so clueless about it.

Also that he's 'instructed all ministries to integrate information on their investment strategies so that he could use it for his official trips to foreign countries' and still claimimg that those clearly uninformed Americans have a 'misunderstanding of Thailand's internal affairs' but that 'Thailand and the U.S. NEED to continue their trade relations as politics is politics'., just shows how ill-equipped he is for the job, (Basically, just sounds like clueless, naive, statements - soundbites - and 'strategies' I might make and put forward if I was suddenly made PM.. maybe even on my Friday evening special 'my turn' show!).. David Brent for PM, anybody?"... wai.gif

Edited by spectrumisgreen

"Expensive high speed trains in Thailand cannot see that many people using... you have to get to the station and then without transport the other end ?"

most railways are built for a national economic reason, some however are built as a national "showcase"

Most rail systems are for transporting googles - that is their number one goals, but I can't see a railway to either Pattaya or Hua Hin doing that unless it is part of a larger program.

If it is for tourism, then it needs to be form the airports etc and not so much hi-speed but a reliable quick shuttle service that doesn't leave people waiting for hours and drops them in a suitable place to get to their hotels.

the distances don't see great enough to warrant a hi-speed train, they are more likely to need a good "commuter-style train" with a bit better seating.

Unless of course the whole idea is just to make Thailand or the government look good?

We need to clarify what they mean by "high speed train", anything over walking pace is high speed to many in Thailand.

They cannot be talking about real high speed trains as they need regular quality maintenance to keep the system safe, otherwise we will be reading about some exciting train crashes.

what a stupid thing to say!

look at the record of thai airways! look at the construction of bangkok, the skyline,

Connecting these 2 beach destinations with Bangkok by high speed trains is a big step forward.

Even Thais will be able to live full time beside the beach and work in the Capital.

Just hope it gonna really happen and in future extend the lines towards Samui Phuket.

I think your proposed use of the trains would indeed be beneficial to all. Right now the ''commuter'' lifestyle doesn't exist (Nonthaburi to BKK doesn't count) but if the government shifted its focus from tourist and started promoting places like Petchaburi, Cha Am and Hua Hin as alternatives for Thais that work in BKK to live in, I think they'd be able to generate a lot more income. I'd move to Cha Am in a heartbeat if it meant a 45 min journey to BKK. Hell, I'm about to take a 15km journey to my office in Bangkok and it's gonna take me over an hour.

• Like 1

Why not shoot a line up to Mukdahan while you're at it.............make it a bit easier for the visa runners.

That's why most people who are on 90 day in-outs are living in the UDON area, 1/2 hour and your in Nong Khai. you have rail-bus and an airport that is growing all the time. Cheaper housing--shopping--cooler winters.

Up to you where you live, BUT think about a move if you are not tied to a Thai family and cannot escape their clutches lol ha ha ha.

You don't have to believe this will actually take place - if you are PM. What you want to do is convince people that it 'could' happen sometime after the next election - in which he might well be standing.

I know little about railway construction, but what I do know is that the HST in the UK for example, is taking years of planning and billions of pounds.

You can't just 'order' these things surely?

I think your proposed use of the trains would indeed be beneficial to all. Right now the ''commuter'' lifestyle doesn't exist (Nonthaburi to BKK doesn't count) but if the government shifted its focus from tourist and started promoting places like Petchaburi, Cha Am and Hua Hin as alternatives for Thais that work in BKK to live in, I think they'd be able to generate a lot more income. I'd move to Cha Am in a heartbeat if it meant a 45 min journey to BKK. Hell, I'm about to take a 15km journey to my office in Bangkok and it's gonna take me over an hour.

Lets not forget Pattaya and surroundings

besides tourists going back forward to visit these high speed train connected cities.

There will be loads of thais who would prefer to live with their families in Jomtien,Ban amphur ,Hua yai etc if they can commuter to BKK in 30 minutes for their job.

• Like 1

To facilitate tourism?

10 bazillion taxis going to hua him and pattaya every day and he thinks a train can facilitate tourism?

It is defined by an easy and not detrimental (eg. not "10 bazillion taxis" on the roads) public transportation method.

An efficient train system is seriously needed for those trips.

Not high-speed rail, but higher-speed rail (as exemplified in previous post about Malaysia's ETS trains) would be a huge boost for tourism.

The reason to have this train would definitely not be to facilitate tourism. Moving hundreds thosands of people on weekends to the beach cannot be logistically by train. Where will they get on?/

Into the centre of bangkok first. Great idea.