Why doesn't Thailand have a major port on the west?

LarryBird

There is a big news item in today's Bkk Post about plans to build a port somewhere in Krabi province - mainly to handle coal for a coal-fired electric plant run by EGAT. Needless to say, the EIR (environmental report) was not properly established, and more than a few locals are annoyed about the plan. The article didn't specify where the coal fired plant will be.

I visit Burma often, and one of the biggest differences between Burma and Thailand, is how quick and eager Thailand is in destroying nature and covering it with concrete and asphalt. I call it the 'Chinafication' of Thailand. It also compounds flooding, because there's less soil for water to soak into. Bkk gets a major flood every 5 years. the last biggie was 2011, so get ready for 2016.

There is a big news item in today's Bkk Post about plans to build a port somewhere in Krabi province - mainly to handle coal for a coal-fired electric plant run by EGAT. Needless to say, the EIR (environmental report) was not properly established, and more than a few locals are annoyed about the plan. The article didn't specify where the coal fired plant will be.

I visit Burma often, and one of the biggest differences between Burma and Thailand, is how quick and eager Thailand is in destroying nature and covering it with concrete and asphalt. I call it the 'Chinafication' of Thailand. It also compounds flooding, because there's less soil for water to soak into. Bkk gets a major flood every 5 years. the last biggie was 2011, so get ready for 2016.

And Myanmar is even more "Chinafied" than LOS. How do you think the Generals amassed all their fortunes. If you visit often, you must surely have seen the endless streams of barges heading down the Irrawaddy carrying ebony and rosewood? And you must be aware of all the areas conveniently closed off to foreigners where all the mining goes on, turning areas into moonscapes (and poisoning man and land in the process)?

Thailand planned the last 50 years to have a canal from West to East with port of course.

Than the politicians talk with Singapore. It would destroy Singapore economic. So Singapore talk Thailand out of it, they might bring even some gifts biggrin.png

Largest and most busy port - Laem Chabang .. It is home to Thailand's largest port by the same name, about 25 kilometres north of Pattaya, and south of the city Chon Buri. Starting in 1988

Laem Chabang (Thai: แหลมฉบัง, pronounced [lɛ̌ːm tɕʰābāŋ]) is a city (thesaban nakhon) inChonburi Province, Thailand. It covers the tambon Bang Lamung of Bang Lamung district, and the complete tambon Bueng, Sura Sak, Thung Su Khla and parts of Nong Kham of Si Racha district. As of 2006 it has a population of 61,801.

The Thai Naval Port - Sattahip is somewhat close to Rayong. Sattahip was greatly expanded by the U.S. Navy during the Vietnam War.

So what about the EXISTING PORT named Songkhla.. It is a containerport as good as any other port.......

Glegolo

Which is why I asked in my original post "Is there one I don't know about?"

Because Songkhla is on the East coast in the Gulf Of Thailand......so goods etc from the West still have to go around the Malay Peninsular.....

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Largest and most busy port - Laem Chabang .. It is home to Thailand's largest port by the same name, about 25 kilometres north of Pattaya, and south of the city Chon Buri. Starting in 1988

Laem Chabang (Thai: แหลมฉบัง, pronounced [lɛ̌ːm tɕʰābāŋ]) is a city (thesaban nakhon) inChonburi Province, Thailand. It covers the tambon Bang Lamung of Bang Lamung district, and the complete tambon Bueng, Sura Sak, Thung Su Khla and parts of Nong Kham of Si Racha district. As of 2006 it has a population of 61,801.

The Thai Naval Port - Sattahip is somewhat close to Rayong. Sattahip was greatly expanded by the U.S. Navy during the Vietnam War.

The OP asked about a port on the WEST coast - bordering the Andaman.

Lots of reasons, feasibility, logistis, costs and this related to the canal idea below;

Article 7 of the 1946 Anglo-Thai Treaty which states that "The Siamese Government undertake that no canal linking the Indian Ocean and Gulf of Siam shall be cut across Siamese territory without the prior concurrence of the Government of the United Kingdom.

Edited by AJBangkok

Depends what you mean by 'major'. Kantang is the main port on the Andaman side and has been for many years, originally primarily for tin and later for rubber. It's also the terminus for a train line to Bangkok.

There has been much talk of building a deep-sea port in Satun Province but the consensus is that there wouldn't be enough demand to justify the cost.

Apart from rubber, palm oil and some fruit there is not much production in the south of Thailand.

Most production and therefore cargo is produced in Central Thailand, around Bangkok and in the Eastern Seaboard (Rayong and Chonburi).

So that's where the main ports BKK and Leam Chabang are and Maptaphut has jetty's for fluid cargo.

There is a small container port in Songkhla and it is apparently sufficient for the local exports.

Joint development is underway with Myanmar, but that will be Myanmar products mainly.

So what about the EXISTING PORT named Songkhla.. It is a containerport as good as any other port.......

Glegolo

Because Songkhla is on the East coast in the Gulf Of Thailand......so goods etc from the West still have to go around the Malay Peninsular.....

Yes but at least it is on the western side of the bay, and on the western side of Thailand no doubt....Better you direct your comment to the guy who think Rayong etc is on the westcoast!! He is completely lost!!

Glegolo

Until 1909 Siam did have a port on the West Coast - Penang. However it was surrendered to the British in exchange for the Southern Provinces.

No, that agreement concerned only states to the north and east of Penang, i.e. Perlis, Kedah, Kelantan and Trengannu. Penang was under British rule continuously from the 1820s until Malaysian independence in 1957.

China and Thailand and even Laos are looking to Burma for DEEP WATER port (this is the big problem) on the West coast and this is why everyone is looking toward Duwei in Myanmar. Thailand has already opened the boarder and mapped the route - if Myanmar continues to open up and come in line with international and ASEAN rules than that'll be the way to go.

the movement of goods is the main reason that China wants to build railways (and roads all over S.E. Asia......... (you didn't think it was for people ??).

Western China's closest sea is the Andaman.

to illustrate the point, look at the EU - One of the great advantages of the EU is that major ports don't have to be in the same country as the producers of the goods as they can make use of any and best ports around Europe - Rotterdam being the most obvious example.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Glegolo

No. You will find there is not much activity outside Bangkok. When there is more train track connecting to Thailand's more ambitious neighbors things might change, but that will be up to the family that controls ports. Also, Singapore discourages this. There was talk of a canal at one time that would bypass Singapore. Believed it was abandoned after "negotiations" with city state.

And Myanmar is even more "Chinafied" than LOS. How do you think the Generals amassed all their fortunes. If you visit often, you must surely have seen the endless streams of barges heading down the Irrawaddy carrying ebony and rosewood? And you must be aware of all the areas conveniently closed off to foreigners where all the mining goes on, turning areas into moonscapes (and poisoning man and land in the process)?

China is pilliging Myanmar of all its timber and minerals and other wealth for very little in return. Thialnd will find itself with the same problem if it contiunues to cosy up to China. China thinks only of China and what it can get for as little as possible in return. There are many instances of this in poorer countries.

Glegolo

Yes but at least it is on the western side of the bay, and on the western side of Thailand no doubt....Better you direct your comment to the guy who think Rayong etc is on the westcoast!! He is completely lost!!

Glegolo

With all due respect, Songkhla is on the east coast of Thailand known as The Gulf Of Thailand.

Satun, Phuket and Ranong are on the west coast - known as the Andaman Sea