Noob questions about riding manual

SukhumvitFan42

After all this I still don't know why I can't cover my brakes.

Apart from Carol is there anyone here that passed their test(after professional instruction) in a western or Australian country, where they were told they should never cover their brakes and was any reason given?

Hahahaha. That's exactly the point macknife.

I (and most bikers I know - they are still alive incidentally) cover our brakes when we ride, ESPECIALLY in Bangkok where a million or more unexpected things that pop out from behind cars, buses, soi and what have you.Along comes an instructor from the UK (where I have lived and driven thousands upon thousands of kms - incidentally, I happen to have a UK driving licence as well) telling us all that covering the brakes is WRONG! It's BAD PRACTICE!

She also never answered my question as to whether considering the risk of a highside wasn't it prudent to clutch when emergency braking especially in a corner? I did ask twice in case she didn't see it the first time.

She also never answered my question as to whether considering the risk of a highside wasn't it prudent to clutch when emergency braking especially in a corner? I did ask twice in case she didn't see it the first time.

Have you gone and practised as I asked? What I do to teach this is go out onto the tarmac and do my job.

So if you want to do this properly have you gone out and done it? Have you tried doing what you claim?

go on, see what happens.

You ask theoretical questions from the protection of your keyboard. I know the answers because I have done it.

There is tons of discussion we can have on advanced riding. but you want to argue about the basics.

Is it a good idea to ride with a tin covered head so you don't get scanned by aliens, like what?

Like I have said before, you want a training course then come and do one.

The following are facts.

You pull in the clutch too early on test it is a fail.

You ride on test covering either brake you will fail.

I have already explained why. But you want to argue so you carry on doing it your way.

If you want to move the discussion on to advanced braking techniques then I will be happy to discuss points.

Have you read the blue book?

http://www.roadcraft.co.uk/motorcycle-roadcraft

Edited by Carol Jadzia

But despite repeated requests for clarifications (as most of us here would like to improve our skills and roadcraft), all we get are further insults and put downs.

Oh well, happens in most online forums.

I have given you repeated clarification but you choose to ignore it.

Like I said before you are obviously the expert. So prove me wrong?

All I have asked is you tell me you have gone and practised what you have been saying on a big bike.

And I will still stand my my statement that if you think riding in such a manner that you need to keep your brakes covered at all times then that makes you and aggressive and in my opinion a dangerous bad rider.

Luckily I can say in this country if you ride like that you will probably get convicted for bad driving, if you have not died bouncing off another vehicle first. But sorry I forgot. You need to ride like that don't you? Sorry like I said. your the expert.

Well ma'am, I've tried to be kind and courteous out of respect to your past job. It's obvious that my forbearance was wasted and the other posters were correct in their assessment of you.

I have not tried to find out if I could high side it upon braking without clutching especially in a turn. If my theory, which is based upon actual facts, was supported, I would have quite a bill. Ruined bike and broken body. I had thought some critical thinking on your part along with a discussion could have brought the forum an answer.

I've done 16,000 km in the last 4 months in the Kingdom everywhere from Bangkok to Nakhon Nowhere. Not a scratch. I've been riding in Thailand since 2005. Only accidents I have had was due to my experience overcooking corners. On group rides there are few who can keep up with me through the city. So the lack of speed can't be credited for my lack of accidents. And I have yet to crash into another vehicle nor have one crash into me. Remembering your post you haven't been so fortunate. I don't like to dwell on that, because it could happen to me tomorrow, but for some reason I have not had the accidents per km that you have had in Thailand. Is that due to blind luck? Maybe. Or perhaps it's due to how I ride versus how you ride.

Your schmary comments are completely unnecessary. They may be edgy or cool in your mind as you put them down on the computer, but in actuality it makes you appear to have a inferiority complex. Constantly stating "this is the way it was done in the UK" leaves little recourse for discussion. A dogmatic following of an ideology is at best idiosyncratic; at worst it's a display as to the rigidity of one to a possibly outmoded doctrine. Things are learned all the time, their application is what allows the world to move ahead. You are insisting that the UK way (as you understand it) is the only way and will never change. I propose that eventually changes will be introduced and if they aren't people will suffer for that failure. Either one can logically think about it and adapt themselves or be a slave to what a book says. I believe your posts clearly indicate what camp you are in.

See there you go, right at the start. Yes I have been defensive. Maybe because from the moment I got here I have had people telling me that my training techniques are rubbish, or my opinion. Or a dozen other things that make me feel like <deleted> am I doing here anyway?

Good for you, well done on staying alive so long. Have a medal, you are doing a grand job and keep on doing what you are doing because you are obviously an expert on the subject. clap2.gif

I will advise the DVSA, The Police federation, the IAM and ROSPA, along with all the ATBs and Instructors around England that the fundamental basics of our training techniques are wrong. As obviously all the experts on the subject say so in a Thai ex-pat forum.

Hope you continue to ride safe and free.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/141556225529?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-approved-training-body-atb-manual

http://think.direct.gov.uk/motorcycle-training.html

http://www.roadcraft.co.uk/motorcycle-roadcraft/view-sample-ebook-pages

• Like 1