More tourists travel “Isan”

Lite Beer

More tourists travel “Isan”

BANGKOK, 13 February 2015 (NNT) – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has expressed confidence that the number of tourists visiting the northeastern region of Thailand will increase by 27.9 million people, generating 65 billion baht in tourism revenue.

Director of the TAT Northeastern Office Somrudi Chanchai said the government’s declaration of the year 2015 as the Discover Thainess Year would greatly help boost the Thai tourism. The Northeast was the region where people’s way of life was closely tied to “Thainess” and Thai culture was preserved. The region was increasingly popular among tourists, said the director.

Ms Somrudi invited tourists who wanted to visit the Northeast to travel with their families and learn the way of life of the local people or the people of “Isan.” The region was the land of civilization and one of the important cultural learning sources in Thailand, she added.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-02-13 footer_n.gif

Bumped into a tour bus full of Danes at the Tohsang Hotel in Kong Chiam (Mekong town in Ubon province - delightful) last night.

Their tour route was BKK to Khao Yai to Pimai to Nong Khai to Buriram to Surin to Khong Chiam/Pha Taem to Ubon to BKK. Most of that sounds sensible, but never found out what they did in Buriram - maybe motorcycle racing or football?

• Like 1

... increase by 27.9 million people .... ? Where did they find these Jerks that work in TAT ?

They are probably classifying all the Chinese workers they are expecting to build the new railroad as tourists.

• Like 1

Bumped into a tour bus full of Danes at the Tohsang Hotel in Kong Chiam (Mekong town in Ubon province - delightful) last night.

Their tour route was BKK to Khao Yai to Pimai to Nong Khai to Buriram to Surin to Khong Chiam/Pha Taem to Ubon to BKK. Most of that sounds sensible, but never found out what they did in Buriram - maybe motorcycle racing or football?

You have obviously forgotten about, or never heard of, Khao Panom Rung or Prasat Hin Muang Tam.

• Like 1

" ...number of tourists visiting the northeastern region of Thailand will increase by 27.9 million people..."

This can't be true. At least on a yearly basis. There weren't 27.9 million tourists visiting all of Thailand in 2014.

That is not all foreign tourists. They are mostly referring to Thai tourists.

• Like 1

" ...number of tourists visiting the northeastern region of Thailand will increase by 27.9 million people..."

This can't be true. At least on a yearly basis. There weren't 27.9 million tourists visiting all of Thailand in 2014.

That is not all foreign tourists. They are mostly referring to Thai tourists.

Maybe, but only the Thai tourists that want to experience "Thainess"

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thainess in Isaan? The home of lao and Khmer culture

very true, issan had nothing to do with Thailand until the early parts of the 20th century really...

• Like 1

Does any have a clue what "Discover Thainess" means? "Cheap beer and good looking ladies" is a concept you can get your mind around.

Colbert of the Colbert report show in the US had coined the the word

Truthiness

truth·i·ness
ˈtro͞oTHēnis/
noun
informal
  1. the quality of seeming or being felt to be true, even if not necessarily true
    Perhaps Thainess has the same quality
    Seems like Thai but not necessarily Thaibiggrin.png

They have to be talking about Thai tourists, great. We don't need or want Russian, Chinese, or Mid-East. Although, right now the ladies would probably take anything. Oh, and would the LDOP's (Lame Dupe Over Payers) please, please stay away. Just cheap charlies please. I forgot, there is nothing in Isan, no women, no hotels, no phone service, no internet, no women, no roads (buffalo trails), no beer, no women, no airplanes, no malls, no bars, no ice, no women, nothing, nada, zip, only a couple of crazy farang, lots of water buff, rice, no women, rubber, sugar cane, snakes, scorpians, spiders and other bad characters. Tigers on the prowl in downtown Udon, or what passes for a downtown. Bad place, stay away, danger. Did I mention no women? Nothing to see hear, move along now.

I wish I could give this reply, more than one likeclap2.gif

Though you did forget to mention the minefields

• Like 1

You have obviously forgotten about, or never heard of, Khao Panom Rung or Prasat Hin Muang Tam.

Phanum Rung is a genuinely impressive attraction. It always amazes me how undiscovered it remains when you consider the way nearby Siem Reap draws in millions.

With the opening up of ASEAN it`s proximity to the border and Siem Reap will surely draw in more tourists. Add in the fact Buriram city is developing at an astonishing rate and I really think tourists in this part of Thailand will soon be a normality.

They have to be talking about Thai tourists, great. We don't need or want Russian, Chinese, or Mid-East. Although, right now the ladies would probably take anything. Oh, and would the LDOP's (Lame Dupe Over Payers) please, please stay away. Just cheap charlies please. I forgot, there is nothing in Isan, no women, no hotels, no phone service, no internet, no women, no roads (buffalo trails), no beer, no women, no airplanes, no malls, no bars, no ice, no women, nothing, nada, zip, only a couple of crazy farang, lots of water buff, rice, no women, rubber, sugar cane, snakes, scorpians, spiders and other bad characters. Tigers on the prowl in downtown Udon, or what passes for a downtown. Bad place, stay away, danger. Did I mention no women? Nothing to see hear, move along now.

Have traveled in the Isaan extensively over the last 12 years. But no better description of the Isaan have I ever read. And this basically in a nutshell only consisting of a few sentences. Underlined with a nice portion of sarcasm and humor. Respect !

To describe the same thing, I would probably need 3 pages.

Hopefully those projected astronomical numbers of Isaan visitors will consist of Thai-Nationals mainly. Educated Bangkok-Thais will be the first to discover that "Thainess" is a thing of the past and will be glad to return to Bangkok, regardless of what "the General" says.

Seems to me that the only true and staunch believers in "Thainess" are the Farangs that are being toed by their Pattaya-Queen into the darkest corner of the Isaan, with the sole purpose of erecting a 4 Million Baht Mansion on "Family-Land". cheesy.gifbah.gifsad.png

Cheers.

• Like 2

I think this is related to a thread a few weeks ago where the Thai government wants to increase the number of THAI TOURIST in Northern Thailand'

Not the number of foreign sexpats in Isaan.

Please, keep the western tourist in westernized Thailand where they fit in.

Expat residents are o.k., they live here and most respect the people, culture and life style.

Expat tourist will be surprised at how much more difficult it is to exploit Esaan people.

Expat residents do not want foreign tourist tarnishing their reputation and ruining the good relations they have cultivated with the local people.

Thank you....

• Like 2

Oh dear. I take it you won't be coming then? clap2.gif

Sounds good, when I visit isaan first time 7 years ago!

I booked a tour group bus , but I was alone with the driver no body join!

Now I also here alone, nobody speaks any verb of English ...

"Nobody speaks any verb of English". Where did you pick that one up? You should come to Isaan and see for yourself. What they tell you in a bar in Pattaya about Isaan is often not true.

Maybe "Thainess" is one price Thais and one price foreigners? They havn't done this in Isaan before as I know of, except at Phimai, but when I visited Mukdahan last month they had started to do so at the tower outside the city. Before it was 20 baht for all. Now it was 30 baht for Thais and 50 for baht foreigners. My personal view on that matter is that I do NOT pay. I stay away from this places. Because it's racism plane and simple.

Edited by Norlund

Sounds good, when I visit isaan first time 7 years ago!

I booked a tour group bus , but I was alone with the driver no body join!

Now I also here alone, nobody speaks any verb of English ...

"Nobody speaks any verb of English". Where did you pick that one up? You should come to Isaan and see for yourself. What they tell you in a bar in Pattaya about Isaan is often not true.

I don't know, I kinda agree with him...the little provincial capital I live in, English is spoken by just about no one...I am pretty good with Isan language, (not so great with Central Thai, so I am usually ok, but it certainly isn't a bastion of English ability...yea, maybe the ladies of the night in Udon are good with English, but generally? nah...Lao people speak MUCh better english as a whole....

Maybe "Thainess" is one price Thais and one price foreigners? They havn't done this in Isaan before as I know of, except at Phimai, but when I visited Mukdahan last month they had started to do so at the tower outside the city. Before it was 20 baht for all. Now it was 30 baht for Thais and 50 for baht foreigners. My personal view on that matter is that I do NOT pay. I stay away from this places. Because it's racism plane and simple.

Can you imagine how up in arms people would be if there was a double pricing scheme in wherever countries we originally come from (for example $20 to go to the Statue of Liberty for an American against $30 for foreigner for example) people would be up in arms...