Hate dual-pricing? Go here, not there (new blog post)

chrisbacke

Why does no one ever complain that Westerners in Thailand generally earn more than Thai nationals for the same work?

Isn't that dual pricing?

That is not dual pricing ... it is double earning :)

Would it still be "double earning" if the westerner only earned 20% more?

I submit that the price of Thai labor is significantly lower than western labor.

Why does no one ever complain that Westerners in Thailand generally earn more than Thai nationals for the same work?

Isn't that dual pricing?

That is not dual pricing ... it is double earning smile.png

Would it still be "double earning" if the westerner only earned 20% more?

I submit that the price of Thai labor is significantly lower than western labor.

Trying to set a record for going off topic?

I don't mind dual pricing because it's done in the US and I'm used to it. You would pay $15 each, or $25 per carload to get into a US national park. I have a lifetime pass to all of the parks that cost me $10 IIRC. I paid part of the taxes that built the highways and roadside rest areas with restrooms that make it possible and comfortable to get there. I paid part of the taxes that built all of the infrastructure in the parks.

You show up contributing nothing including ownership and pay a fair price as millions of people do every year. $25 a carload to drive on an hour's worth of good highway through the desert just to get to the Grand Canyon should be worth the price of admission.

Simple.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I never go any places that want to charge me more. I think all Frang should boycott the higher prices than Thais

I agree , I don't give them the opportunity to be racist, I'd love to see the signs on the Gold Coast stating People from Thailand shall be charged twice the price of everyone else wouldn't that get the do-gooders blood pressure up.cheesy.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Isn't that dual pricing?

That gives them something to strive for , cause they haven't got anything else.

You show up contributing nothing...

If you're talking to me I'm still paying taxes, and I generally support dual pricing. I was not trying to change the subject, but rather point out the hipocrocy of the people calling it racist and whatnot.

Incidentally, I've had a lifetime CA fishing license for about 20 years. An annual license is now about $50 for a resident and $125 for a non resident.

• Like 1

Isn't that dual pricing?

yes, in most cases Farang earn more but for those who work here, they also pay more taxes no? For me it is not about paying 400thb entrance fee but about the principle and respect. So as long as this practice of unfair dual pricing is in place I will join the boycot and not visit any of these sites. The dual pricing in Thailand is not comparable with reduced pricing for locals in other countries. Does anybody know if the dual pricing in Thailand is only for "whites"? In other words, do tourists from Laos or Cambodia pay also the higher prices?

Isn't that dual pricing?

yes, in most cases Farang earn more but for those who work here, they also pay more taxes no? For me it is not about paying 400thb entrance fee but about the principle and respect. So as long as this practice of unfair dual pricing is in place I will join the boycot and not visit any of these sites. The dual pricing in Thailand is not comparable with reduced pricing for locals in other countries. Does anybody know if the dual pricing in Thailand is only for "whites"? In other words, do tourists from Laos or Cambodia pay also the higher prices?

That would be even more racist but as far as I'm aware ALL foreigners are supposed to pay the higher prices. In practice, some of the smaller places which practice dual pricing still have this mentality that "farangs are rich" and only "farangs can be tourists" it would never occur to them that there are Asian tourists too and as such, some of them "accidentally" enter at the reduced rates because no one is IDed. However, this generally only occurs if they come in a group consisting of some Thais and the tourists from these neighboring countries, who as long as they aren't being asked to speak to the gate staff and they aren't being questioned as to their nationality, may get in for the reduced rate even if they're not supposed to.

However, at places with lots of tourists from all over the world, such as the Grand Palace, this is far less likely to occur.

The posters who complain the loudest on these double-pricing threads are the ones who travel the least. I wonder if they've ever been anywhere besides their home country and Thailand.

In the last few years I've traveled to the following countries and all had dual pricing:

China, India, Vietnam, Nepal, Indonesia, Cambodia, Laos, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Croatia, and the US.

The posters who complain the loudest on these double-pricing threads are the ones who travel the least. I wonder if they've ever been anywhere besides their home country and Thailand.

In the last few years I've traveled to the following countries and all had dual pricing:

China, India, Vietnam, Nepal, Indonesia, Cambodia, Laos, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Croatia, and the US.

I work, live, pay taxes in Thailand so your effort to list all these countries doesn't change anything for me...

Isn't that dual pricing?

Yes, westerners working in Thailand generally pay more taxes than do the average Thai. Is a fee to get into a National Park not a tax?

How is it you are being disrespected when asked to pay more?

Also, how is it that "The dual pricing in Thailand is not comparable with reduced pricing for locals in other countries."?

Again, I generally get charged the local rate when I show my driver license or work permit. If I don’t get the discount I would pay the higher rate and go anyway, as I have made plans for the day with my family, and I would rather not give a low paid, uniformed ticked seller the power to ruin my day.

Please join whatever boycott you guys have going. My life is too short to some a-hole that much power over me for a few dollars.

To be honest, the places I visited in the past are not worth the entrance fee. (Not comparable to Yellow Stone)Again You missed the point, I am not discussing the price itself but the principle. The Royal palace is free for locals but 400Thb for non-Thai. What if tomorrow all toll ways follow the same principle and instead of 60thb they will charge you 600thb. Still agree?

To be honest, the places I visited in the past are not worth the entrance fee. (Not comparable to Yellow Stone)Again You missed the point, I am not discussing the price itself but the principle. The Royal palace is free for locals but 400Thb for non-Thai. What if tomorrow all toll ways follow the same principle and instead of 60thb they will charge you 600thb. Still agree?

I'm still not clear how "The dual pricing in Thailand is not comparable with reduced pricing for locals in other countries." Can you explain the differences?

Do you mean cars registered in foreign countries have to pay more?

While it's been 30 years since I visited Yellowstone, I don't remember it being all that. When was the last tme you were there?

So what is the principal anyway?

I'm still not clear how "The dual pricing in Thailand is not comparable with reduced pricing for locals in other countries." Can you explain the differences?

While it's been 30 years since I visited Yellowstone, I don't remember it being all that. When was the last tme you were there?

just answer my last Q re toll way. Thanks

just answer my last Q re toll way. Thanks

Yeah, I'd be okay with it.

The author of that article didn't research the subject very well. Here's an example taken from a simple google search for the Bangkok SeaShell Museum.

The Bangkok sea shell museum. ...gee, how exciting.