Why I will never buy another Ford vehicle.

maderaroja

I own a Ford Wildtrack pick up, 3.5 yrs old no issues at all with it. The Ford dealership in Krabi fleeced me by charging more for the "free" service than I would have paid for the same without the free service voucher. Like the truck, hate the dealership.

My friend, it should not be the Ford in question but the mileage the actual vehicle has travel in Thailand conditions. Any vehicle which has covered 140000 km here will be costing you money on a regular basis. Road Conditions, driving style and climate is only to mention a few of the causes.

If you want to buy a used car which is quite reliable and fair on maintenance cost in Thailand, buy a Toyota.

I've been overcharged by a Toyota dealership, so Fords are not unique. Your best bet is to find a trustworthy mechanic ( yes, I know it's difficult in Thailand ) and maintain the vehicle regularly as road conditions can be a lot harsher. Most falangs go by word-of-mouth advertising. The major dealerships are only interested in extracting as much profit as possible.

Most vehicle makers do not make much profit on the initial vehicle sale, the real cream comes with vehicle parts and servicing. If you built a Ford entirely out of spare parts, it would probably cost you 5-10 times as much. Many non-genuine replacement parts are just as good in terms of fitness for purpose as the branded item.

Many non-genuine replacement parts are just as good in terms of fitness for purpose as the branded item.

I would go so far as to say most are the exact same part.

Ford, Toyota, etc make very few parts. They place orders for parts.

Lets say a water pump. On Monday they go in a box with Toyota on it.

On Tuesday in a box with Napa on it ... and On and On ...

Only difference is the price.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So, the concensus, of those responding, seems to be that 148,000 km on a Ford and it is ready for the scrap heap. That is good to consider.
You all seem to prefer Toyotas, and new ones, at that.
I could not consider new car as the dealers do not carry stock, as is done in the U.S. I would not trust someone to "hold" my money for a year while a car is being assembled. And, why does it take a year to assemble a car, anyway?
So, I will take your suggestions under consideration. Thank you.

Don't know how you came to that conclusion like your first post, it's incorrect, I'm reading a lot of positive testimonials for Ford.

You will do because they're a mass produced cheap car for the masses - but to suggest Ford could hold its own in a car QUALITY debate is just ridiculous - why do you think they depreciate by 50% as soon as you drive them off the forecourt ? In the UK a 12 month old Ford is half the list price. Does that happen to BMW ? Mercedes ? Nissan ? Toyota ? Nope

Ford and Vauxhall crash in value from new ...........Because they're poor cars ! No-one with half a brain would buy a Ford because they WANTED one, they buy them because they're cheap!
You win the nonsense post of the day award.

Can you back that up ?

You're not going to be able to say Ford is a quality product because its not and I can easily prove I can buy a 1 year old Ford for half the list price - which bit do you want to discuss further ?

2015 Ford Focus Titanium X... list price on the Ford website £13,995

Can we see a few links to 2014 model cars selling for £6,995 no wrecks or rental cars please.

• Like 2

Are American market fords better built ? Do you still just get the big American market ones where we just get the small UK market ones aimed really at the cheaper end of the market. They have been many good handling cars , some known good for tuning, but in the main traditionally they have been expected to only do half the miles of a Japanese, Swedish, German car.

They may have improved in recent years but are traditionally known for failing electrics, rust and also some weak engines like the CVH (Mine threw a con rod through the sump) but also some strong ones.

Americans seem to have a higher opinion of ford than Brits.

Are American market fords better built ? Do you still just get the big American market ones where we just get the small UK market ones aimed really at the cheaper end of the market. They have been many good handling cars , some known good for tuning, but in the main traditionally they have been expected to only do half the miles of a Japanese, Swedish, German car.

They may have improved in recent years but are traditionally known for failing electrics, rust and also some weak engines like the CVH (Mine threw a con rod through the sump) but also some strong ones.

Yet by most accounts, the #1 and #2 best selling cars in the UK are... Ford Fiesta... and Ford Focus...

• Like 1

About to put a deposit on a Mazda or Ford Focus,

but i'm leading towards the Mazda, seems better

than the Ford,, what about Hyundai or Kia?

Take them for a test drive if you haven't already. Also compare specs if you're interested in which safety options each model has, how much horsepower and stuff like that.

To me the Mazda looks better on the outside but inside it's a bit spartan/bland. The Focus got a facelift end of last year which should be rolling out in Thailand too at some point, you may want to check this and see if it's worth the wait if you decide to go with the Focus.

I owned a Mazda 2 in the past and it was great. I own a Focus 2.0L now and it feels very solid and well built, got almost every gizmo you can think of and its 2 liter engine has good power. Some people have issues with the transmission, it's a dual clutch type, not an auto so it behaves differently. Personally I feel it's fine and actually prefer it to normal planetary auto.

As for resale value, which may or may not be important for you, maybe the Mazda will depreciate a bit less? If you're not planning on changing cars every couple of years I doubt it matters that much. I would choose based on which one I think looks better, feels better, drives better (not necessarily in this order).

Yet by most accounts, the #1 and #2 best selling cars in the UK are... Ford Fiesta... and Ford Focus...

Good grief - AGAIN that is because they are cheap in comparison and they are cheap because they are thrown together for not a lot of outlay. Its also why Vauxhall will always be snapping at their heels. Other manufacturers of cheap cars can not compete on scale so by default the ford cheapos will be the highest sellers !

Do you think if BMW, Audi etc etc sold their cars at the same price Ford would still be the top sellers ?

You are comparing apples with oranges

This is funny. Asking if Ford would be top sellers if BMW and Audi priced their cars differently and then in the next sentence accusing someone of comparing apples and oranges.

These manufacturers aren't competing for the same market segment, people don't walk out from the BMW dealership saying alright now let's go check out Ford/Toyota/Honda/Kia/Hyundai and compare their offering. In the "mass produced cheap" segment as you call it there's fierce competition, and those 2 Fords aren't cheaper than similar cars from other manufacturers targeting the same buyers and market who also happens to be the largest.

You were right to challenge the nonsense award given to your earlier post today, the day was still young and you definitely outdid it now :-)

P.S. I owned both a BMW and a Ford, in addition to other brands. I have no special loyalty to either, I prefer my Alfa to both actually.

• Like 1

2015 Ford Focus Titanium X... list price on the Ford website £13,995

Can we see a few links to 2014 model cars selling for £6,995 no wrecks or rental cars please.

I'm a bit confused you mean this one ? As its listed at £22,000 and not even new !!! Seriously anyone parting with £22k for a used ford need locking up for their own protection

You say you can buy a 1 year old Ford for half list price, so here's a standard Focus off the Ford UK website today £13,995

I'm simply curious to see a few examples of these half priced year old (2014) Fords, for example from car sale websites that you can easily find...

post-118699-0-49318700-1424190381_thumb.

• Like 1

Good grief - AGAIN that is because they are cheap in comparison and they are cheap because they are thrown together for not a lot of outlay. Its also why Vauxhall will always be snapping at their heels. Other manufacturers of cheap cars can not compete on scale so by default the ford cheapos will be the highest sellers !

Do you think if BMW, Audi etc etc sold their cars at the same price Ford would still be the top sellers ?

You are comparing apples with oranges

This is funny. Asking if Ford would be top sellers if BMW and Audi priced their cars differently and then in the next sentence accusing someone of comparing apples and oranges.

These manufacturers aren't competing for the same market segment, people don't walk out from the BMW dealership saying alright now let's go check out Ford/Toyota/Honda/Kia/Hyundai and compare their offering. In the "mass produced cheap" segment as you call it there's fierce competition, and those 2 Fords aren't cheaper than similar cars from other manufacturers targeting the same buyers and market who also happens to be the largest.

You were right to challenge the nonsense award given to your earlier post today, the day was still young and you definitely outdid it now :-)

P.S. I owned both a BMW and a Ford, in addition to other brands. I have no special loyalty to either, I prefer my Alfa to both actually.

Well stated, his argument began going down hill fast and it continues and I'm not even bothering with it anymore it is so senseless.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/full-results/1206903

73rd and 81st out of 116. Many satisfied customers. coffee1.gif

I wonder how many of those best selling cars are company or hire cars.

haha really ? You didn't drop out when I educated you on the Ford balance sheet then after extolling the virtues of a 'prosperous' company that is infact anything but ? Not at that point no ?

However if you had another brain cell you would be able to work out that rambling was saying exactly what I said ! Still you've found a friend - thats a positive!

Should there not be a minimum IQ requirement on here ?

Now then fess up - what Ford you driving ?

You educated me??.. Um right... rolleyes.gif Because one does not respond to nonsense does not mean they've been "educated" by the poster in question coffee1.gif..

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/full-results/1206903

73rd and 81st out of 116. Many satisfied customers. coffee1.gif

I wonder how many of those best selling cars are company or hire cars.

Erm but according to some here JD power is not a credible source because they're biased? coffee1.gif Which is it? It can't be both ways..

Someone much smarter than me said before: "Lies, damned lies, and statistics".

According to this JD Power survey (a source I quoted earlier but is now much more legitimate all of a sudden) the industry average is: 77.6%

Ford Focus came at: 76.8%, Ford Fiesta at 77.3%, Ford Kuga at 78.1%, Ford C-Max at 80.9%, Ford Fusion at 79.3%, Ford Galaxy at 79.3%.

I'll leave the calculations to someone else but strikes me that Ford as a brand scored pretty much in line with the rest of the industry. No much better and not worse either. Just like for example BMW 3 series which came in at 78.9%, scoring worse than Ford C-Max but better than Ford Fiesta.

In fact the top scoring Ford is at 16th place, vs top scoring BMW at 25th place. So what does that tell you? And I'm just using BMW as an example.

And btw, this 2013 survey is a satisfaction survey, unlike the previous JD Power survey I quoted which was a Dependability survey.

So, are we done yet? Don't want to buy a Ford again/ever whatever? Buy something else, Skodas top this particular list, a very sensible purchase, have fun ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

My experience is exact the opposite. 400,000 kms on 1st Ford pick up no issues. 250,000 KMS on present 4 x 4 with only problems being when my mate drove it on blacktop several hundred kms in 4 x 4 so the universal joints needed replaced.

Most of the components like air bags and ac compressors come from 3th party suppliers and they ALL use the same ones. Mazdas and Ford come from the same plant.

I would say after some, not all, but some Thais have driven 134,000 kms thats high kms since its a pretty new car.

Now I have a few Toyota tales when I worked for a company about 15 years ago in Asia.......175,000 kms the top end was worn out and we had more than 10 pick ups. All the same. The lower end was good, the top end not so good.

Edited by rotary

• 3 weeks later...

Yes i know all about Fords, the actual motor is fine its all the other bits around it...... Back in 2001 i bought a new Ford Ute within in the first 3 years, radiator, air con and steering box needed to be replaced...the Ford ute i have now ( work car) ive spent more on it ( in the last 2 years) keeping it on the road than i did on 3 japanese work cars and my BMW over the last 20 ys.

The Ford 4 litre six cylinder motor has been bullet-proof. However, that particular motor seemed to consume radiators like a junkie consumes heroin. Possibly the radiator was under-designed for that motor.

Ford as a company is highly profitable. The automotive part of Ford is only 30% of Ford's business. The other 70% is finance, based on the vast capital built up when Ford dominated the mass market with Model T's and A's. When you've built up enough capital, the process of growing that capital becomes self-sustaining.