What Vegetables Grow Well in the Rainy Season?

EmptyHead

From my experience living in the tropics of Australia - not dissimilar to here in Isaan, vine plants do well - such as watermelon, pumpkin, don't know about zucchini. Ensure, however, they don't get bogged down in the 'mud'. Bit of 'hay' or similar underneath the maturing fruit will help keep the skins blemish free. Time for the likes of tomato, capsicum etc is the dry season - and then recommended in pots. I am still in the early experimental stage with the likes of silverbeet and can advise in time. Hope this helps a little.......

• Like 2

Yes, tomatoes don't like the rainy season much.

I grow some against the house in pots where they are protected from the rain by the roof overhang.

When the toms are exhausted, I change the compost in the pots and put the old stuff in the middle of a hot compost pile, or grow something else.

That something else does not include chilies or eggplants.

On the land, chinese kale does well.

Snake gourd loves the rainy season

Corn on the cob on ridges to keep good drainage if necessary

And of course, a clump of bamboo. The shoots are good to eat and if allowed to grow, the bamboo has a multitude of uses

• Like 2

Some great advice here, thanks!

The GF fancies growing pumpkin, long bean,and corn.

I am interested in snake gourd (never actually heard of it before) and Chinese Kale. I am actually surprised Kale does well. I had wanted to grow lettuce, but was informed that it doesn't do well in rainy season.

We are gonna start tomatoes in the next few days in big concrete pots. She wants to try the big ones. Someone else is growing them here. They look great.

In the rainy season, she seems to think eggplant will do well, We actually have a few eggplants already. They seem to live all year round, but only bearing veg occasionally.

What about carrots and onions? Any success?

Edited by EmptyHead

Some great advice here, thanks!

The GF fancies growing pumpkin, long bean,and corn.

I am interested in snake gourd (never actually heard of it before) and Chinese Kale. I am actually surprised Kale does well. I had wanted to grow lettuce, but was informed that it doesn't do well in rainy season.

We are gonna start tomatoes in the next few days in big concrete pots. She wants to try the big ones. Someone else is growing them here. They look great.

In the rainy season, she seems to think eggplant will do well, We actually have a few eggplants already. They seem to live all year round, but only bearing veg occasionally.

What about carrots and onions? Any success?

Ideally, pumpkin like a lot of organic material in the soil. You can actually grow them out of a compost heap.

It is good to plant the seeds in batches every 2 weeks. The first lot of flowers are always male. When the female flowers appear, you need the male flowers available for fertilisation. Fertilisation can be hit and miss, so it is better to hand fertilise. This can be done by picking a male flower and rubbing its man parts over the female whatever they are called. I can't remember what are stamens etc. It doesn't work well when the pollen is wet after rain, so don't expect fantastic results in the rainy season.

Yard long bean will grow well, but expect the blackfly to arrive, deal with them with soapy water or whatever as soon as you see them. They will destroy your crop. I recently had beans growing up a pea eggplant and they were untouched by blackfly whereas nearby plants were infested. Maybe worth investigating?

By corn, I assume that you mean corn on the cob. I can highly recommend Seedline Super Gold F1 hybrid seeds. I have grown Seedline corn seeds all year round with great results. In well drained high in organic material soil, they will produce 2 cobs. Even in clay water retentive soil they produce a quality single cob.

Snake gourd, I like to harvest as the seeds are just starting to form. When larger they need to be peeled, split and the seed removed.

Chinese kale is not the same as the kale that you are used to. They are actually more like broccoli but without the compact head.Different varieties are grown for the leaves or the stem. Some can be very bitter if grown in full sun.

Carrots, in my opinion, need an organic rich loose soil.Better harvested as baby carrots.

Big Onions, forget about them. Grow bunching onions

• Like 2

Just curious about which kind of corn is not on a cob??

Depends which side of the big pond you come from for me on the uk side ,corn to us is wheat ,barley,oats. maize is corn on the cob( I think most of the uk maize is grown for silage ,for dairy cattle)

On the other side of the big pond, mazie is corn .