My Gf Is From Bkk And Only Has A Few Hobbies

austallia_1980

Try to explain the sense to climb a mountain to a Thai......

I mean walking, not with the car....

About 16 years ago I lived in Chiang Mai for a few months. Decided to take a walk up the mountain. Nobody had any idea how/if it could be done, nor knew of any reasons why anyone would do that. I eventually found a path that led about 2/3 of the way up, and then finished the hike on the road. Whether or not there was a path all the way to the top I never found out. We shouldn't be too hard on the Thais about that attitude. The Swiss didn't climb their mountains until the English took an interest, and with the heat the Thais have even better reason not to.

Qualtrough - I believe the Swiss were living on theor mountains long before English were English - Zermatt, Zinal, Forel etc . . .(except for the matterhorn, of course - didn't four out of 7 Brits die during the ascent or descent?)

I'm a mountain geek - love to climb the things . . . best I could do in SEAsia was Kinabalu . . .

my wife told me that the mountains are veeeerry dangerous, there are communists, strange people, original people which are not thai. And they all want to kill me.

I told her that I just take 2 bottles wiskey with me and if some dangerous communists want to kill me I simple share one bottle with them and explain that I am good comrad and communist as well...

But that did not work for my wife.....

I than asked her, if she was ever in the mountains, if she know anyone who was: Answer no

If there are things reported in the news: no

Where she take the knowlege that it is dangerous: because everone knows that..... :o

You better not forget to share a packet of cigarettes as well!

I can tell you that your life worth as much as a cigarette when dealing with them! :D

About 16 years ago I lived in Chiang Mai for a few months. Decided to take a walk up the mountain. Nobody had any idea how/if it could be done, nor knew of any reasons why anyone would do that. I eventually found a path that led about 2/3 of the way up, and then finished the hike on the road. Whether or not there was a path all the way to the top I never found out. We shouldn't be too hard on the Thais about that attitude. The Swiss didn't climb their mountains until the English took an interest[b], and with the heat the Thais have even better reason not to.

Is this what they taught you in an english school ?

About 16 years ago I lived in Chiang Mai for a few months. Decided to take a walk up the mountain. Nobody had any idea how/if it could be done, nor knew of any reasons why anyone would do that. I eventually found a path that led about 2/3 of the way up, and then finished the hike on the road. Whether or not there was a path all the way to the top I never found out. We shouldn't be too hard on the Thais about that attitude. The Swiss didn't climb their mountains until the English took an interest[b], and with the heat the Thais have even better reason not to.

I think so. But the words were smaller.

I once suggested that we go to a park. She gave me a long look and asked "Why?".

I never imagined when going to the third world that id spend so much time in shopping malls - Really, what else is there to do in BKK?

If you like the outdoor life I strongly recommend you look for a new girlfriend, I know several strapping country girls\ women who spend their days herding cattle whilst digging up the turf for various insects, apart from checking out fishtraps and crab holes.

There can be few more boring pastimes than following someone around a shopping mall; does she also own a poodle which she carries when outside? I'm convinced within one generation the poodles of Bangkok will lose the ability to walk.

Go north-east young man, and if you're stuck in Bangkok, well look for a girl from the rice fields of Ayuttaya or Angtong.

Well , my wife isn´t that different. OK,we have kids so she hasn´t much time for herself, her favorite things to do in freetime are cooking,shopping and TV. Sometimes chatting with friends while cooking,shopping and watching TV. Art,Culture and Literature isn´t my thing either.Perfect match :o

Divezone - go easy on qualtrough - I'm sure he didn't mean to offend anyone - - -talk about shouting - -whew!

Now, who knew how to suck eggs first?

I think so. But the words were smaller.

:o Nice one, Meemiathai

Thedivesone - take it easy on qualtrough, I'm sure he didn;t mean to offend anyone . . . and the fact that he is English can be seen as a birth defect, not his fault! (apologies to all Englishmen here).

Edited by Sing_Sling