Is the Thai Post Office reliable for sending goods overseas?

Xircal

There's a particular Thai coffee powder I like very much called "Khao Shong Coffee Mix Powder - Smooth & Creamy" which looks like you see it in the screenshot.

When I come to Thailand on vacation, I usually devote my entire baggage allowance of 30Kg solely to taking as many packets as possible with me when I leave, but even so, it still only lasts me about three months.

So I was thinking about sending myself about 5-10Kg by post. I'll send it registered to ensure they do actually dispatch it, but has anybody had any experience of shipping goods to themselves overseas, but which haven't arrived?

I've only ever sent postcards to friends at home, but none of them ever arrived unfortunately.

post-101376-0-83366900-1423948128.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never had an issues sending anything by Registered Post (lon tabien) from Thailand to anywhere, generally takes 14 days, but be warned sending Coffee as that is the standard item of choice for hiding drugs and your shipment may get delayed at Customs.

Edited by CharlieH

I have sent hundreds of packages overseas over many years using Thailand Post, by normal unregistered air mail, economy air mail (SAL), and EMS, and it is VERY reliable. This is from Bangkok - I cannot vouch for other places in Thailand.

I have also received hundreds of packages and again Thailand post cannot be faulted. A couple of problems years ago were caused by USPS in the USA. But it's a very small percentage of all packages received.

I hear that Thailand Post is unreliable in other areas.

Been sending X-mas presents by EMS back home for the past 20 years. Never had any go missing. I often send Thai soup packages and glass noodles. But never something like 10kg which would cost you a small fortune and may attract the eye of customs over seas.

I have sent hundreds of packages overseas over many years using Thailand Post, by normal unregistered air mail, economy air mail (SAL), and EMS, and it is VERY reliable. This is from Bangkok - I cannot vouch for other places in Thailand.

I have also received hundreds of packages and again Thailand post cannot be faulted. A couple of problems years ago were caused by USPS in the USA. But it's a very small percentage of all packages received.

I hear that Thailand Post is unreliable in other areas.

Same here had a package sliced open in the USA and had a gold watch stolen. It was insured. I live in Chiang Mai never had a problem with the post but like post offices world wide you pay top buck for snail mail. Its no wonder they cannot compete with couriers. In this day and age for the price I pay why does it take two weeks for a letter to go to Canada. Its been this way even in Canada to other points since I retired from the Post Office 22 years ago. Its no wonder they are falling by the wayside. It was only around the time that I retired that Canada Post realized that they could make money selling to collectors souvenir sheets first day covers etc. As a collector at that time I tried to tell em about the profit potential but it fell on deaf ears until a light bulb turned on in someone's brain higher up the food chain. Us surfs knew nothing and we are still surfs.

I've sent countless (100s) of parcels overseas, both by registered airmail and surface mail. Not one got missing.

Same for receiving.

The only problem I had was with customs, which is like a Russian roulette. For the very same type of item and for the same cost, customs charged from ZERO to 8k Baht. If I make an average though, it must have cost me around 3K per item.

Anyways, I'm very happy with the Postal service here. Much better than in Italy.

They are very reliable. Never had any problem with Thai Post service.

I've sent and received literally hundreds of things by Thai Post, many of the items purchases or sales from eBay.

Never had anything go missing. Some things sent by regular mail. If I wanted a bit more safety, I've used registered mail and for more valuable things I've used EMS which can be tracked on their website all the way to destination in the US, China, etc.

Often things sent to the US arrive in a few days from being sent and then, especially if the destination is a city other than one of major coastal cities like New York or LA, they can really get bogged down. Same applied to things sent from places like Texas or anywhere in mid-America. They move at a snail's pace to whatever international airport and from there get to me in Thailand quite quickly. The delays seem mostly attributable to the USPS. Never lost anything.

One eBay item I sent to a buyer in Japan at the time of their tsunami was returned to me quite safely. I contacted the buyer and he sent me a new address and it reached him without a problem on the second attempt.

Another possible cause for delay ...

What are the requirements for importing coffee, tea or spicesfor personal use?

There are no restrictions on the importation of coffee, tea or spices for personal use, although they may be subject to Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) and Food and Drug Administration (FDA) inspections if a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer suspects contamination or insect infestation of the product. For more information from FDA call 1-888-723-3366. Contact FDA.
Edited by Suradit69

They are reliable until something goes missing. Sent two letters month ago to UK neither arrived, probably thrown in the bin and the money taken, posted at a post office not an agent. Then again last year a travel card sent from the UK to Bangkok correctly and clearly addressed was sent to Malaysia by Royal Mail!

Been sending X-mas presents by EMS back home for the past 20 years. Never had any go missing. I often send Thai soup packages and glass noodles. But never something like 10kg which would cost you a small fortune and may attract the eye of customs over seas.

So you replaced the coffee by noodles... Very clever thumbsup.gif

Is the Thai Post Office reliable for sending goods overseas?

No.

What make you say that?!

You may live in Nakhon Nowhere where the postman never sees a farang and likes to forage through your valuable (to him) parcels.

I have been (and still do) using Thai post for over 25 years and NEVER lost a package that was sent either from Bangkok or (mostly) from Chiang Mai.

Be aware that post systems are often less reliable in your home country than here. The stated address must be clearly written (for Thai postmen: the country name in capital letters) ...

I've sent items via EMS (usually delivered in 4-5 business days). Registered takes longer, think it's 10 -14 business days. Agree w/ comment break down into several packages.

Maybe, contact the coffee Co. see if they can ship a bulk order of whatever you want, may work out cheaper than Thai post; EMS & Registered can be expensive.

I sent a letter via EMS to the UK last year. Tracked it to BKK and then it turned up in London. From there I have no idea what happened to it but it was not a Thai fault on this occasion. The next one to follow I sent via TNT. It cost twice as much but did arrive at the address to which it was sent and in only 4 days.