Is the Thai Post Office reliable for sending goods overseas?

Xircal

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have sent hundreds of packages overseas over many years using Thailand Post, by normal unregistered air mail, economy air mail (SAL), and EMS, and it is VERY reliable. This is from Bangkok - I cannot vouch for other places in Thailand.

I have also received hundreds of packages and again Thailand post cannot be faulted. A couple of problems years ago were caused by USPS in the USA. But it's a very small percentage of all packages received.

I hear that Thailand Post is unreliable in other areas.

My 9 year old daughter send me a hand ran birthday card in an envelope that never arrived in bangkok and my mother a Christmas card again in am envelope that never arrived.. my post from the thai bank arrives on cue ;-)

You can send up to 20kg with Thai post EMS and cost depends on location.

http://www.thailandpost.com/rate.php

Should arrive in a week or so (if custums does not hold it to check for drugs)

When I used that link to price, just as an example, a 2 Kg. package to the U.S., here's the rate options it delivered:

post-58284-0-54233500-1424003994_thumb.j

The lower priced options appear to be just for documents. By the time you get to the actual packages of contents, it appears to be in the 800 to 1000 baht range on the low end, up to more than 1900 baht for sending that weight via EMS... Not much in the way of bargains there.

Known at my Nakhon Pathom Thai Post Office, I get super service, including selling proper size box, a good idea regardless if your package needs it, and locking my incoming mail between pickups... p.o. box.

I have received and sent hundreds of letters and dozens of packages to and from usa with NO problems, reg air mail, EMS, package rates, etc.

I bet you gave your postcards to your hotel to mail, bad idea.

Many grumpy UK/AU thaivisa typists seem to delight in slagging on anything Thailand, even to the extent of bitching mightily about the issues of staying here. Oh well. I like Thai govt post.

When are you fellows gonna realize how to get things done in Thailand? Thai to front for you; small tasteful gifts periodically, BIG smile and joking, cooperative attitude. clap2.gif

I need to try that coffee. Where do you buy it?

I just recently sent one package to Europe and it arrived after 4 days another was sent to Malaysia and arrived after 30 days. Both using regular air mail.

It's available in Big C, costs 77 Baht for a 500 gram packet of 25 individual packets.

There are other flavours, but the "Smooth & Creamy" is the original. Adding a little milk improves the flavour I find.

I've seen it listed at Amazon, but it's currently unavailable. No price mentioned there either.

Also available via Alibaba, but minimum order is a twenty foot container. I don't know where I could store one of those in my rabbit hut sized apartment. sad.png

How much did the packet you sent to Europe cost and what did it weigh if you don't mind me asking.

Never had an issues sending anything by Registered Post (lon tabien) from Thailand to anywhere, generally takes 14 days, but be warned sending Coffee as that is the standard item of choice for hiding drugs and your shipment may get delayed at Customs.

I got stopped once when I went through the green channel at Amsterdam Schiphol airport, but they didn't show much interest in my 24 x 500 gram packets of coffee after opening my suitcase.

But thanks for the warning.

make sure its registered so you can track it.......

where do you live ? are there any Thai grocery stores nearby ?

maybe they can order for you.......

Good idea! I'll check that out. I live in Amsterdam and there are a few shops listed on Google.

I have sent hundreds of packages overseas over many years using Thailand Post, by normal unregistered air mail, economy air mail (SAL), and EMS, and it is VERY reliable. This is from Bangkok - I cannot vouch for other places in Thailand.

I have also received hundreds of packages and again Thailand post cannot be faulted. A couple of problems years ago were caused by USPS in the USA. But it's a very small percentage of all packages received.

I hear that Thailand Post is unreliable in other areas.

Everything I've sent to Patong has always arrived intact, so I guess that's a good sign.

I just checked the Thailand Post site and overseas charges are around 50% higher than what it costs me to send a package weighing the same amount to Thailand.

I chose Int'l Parcel SAL which works out at 1660 Baht plus insurance for a 5kg package. The latter depends on the value of the package apparently, but there's no indication anywhere as to how they calculate it. See screenshot.

BKKdreaming suggested checking to see whether a local Thai grocery shop could order it for me, so I'll do that tomorrow. Might save a lot of hassle if it isn't too expensive.

Thanks for the tips anyway.

post-101376-0-79294600-1424011303_thumb.

Been sending X-mas presents by EMS back home for the past 20 years. Never had any go missing. I often send Thai soup packages and glass noodles. But never something like 10kg which would cost you a small fortune and may attract the eye of customs over seas.

Well, I've got nothing to hide, so Customs is welcome to rummage around if they want.

But you're right about the cost which would be 1660 Baht for just a 5kg package (uninsured).

But I live in the Netherlands and have tried most brands of Dutch coffee, but just don't like any of it. So it's a case of either pay up or go without.

BKKdreaming suggested looking around for a local Thai grocery shop to see if they have it, or could order it for me, so I'll do that tomorrow.

I've sent packages, no problem if it is registered. You can track it.

Do you happen to know how much it would cost to register 770 Baht which would be the cost of the goods.

According to the Thailand Post site, it depends on the value, but they don't mention how they calculate it. I suppose it'll go something like this:

1. Is the customer a Thai or a farang?
  2. Customer is a farang, so multiply the cost of the insurance by 10.

Sent many packages over the years from Pattaya and always arrived.

Terrific! 20kg only costs 1400 Baht sent EMS while 5kg sent via Int'l Parcel SAL costs 1660 Baht for just 5kg!

So what I'll have to do I think is to buy the maximum size box which measures 30 x 45 x 20 (see screenshot) and then see how much coffee I can cram inside it.

Thanks for the tip.

post-101376-0-27118900-1424013828_thumb.

Per my thread in the Economy section, I wasnt willing to trust EMS with a shipment that I just couldnt afford to mysteriously 'disappear', but a lot of the feedback here seems more positive. I have no complaints re DHL's service - 3 days from Pattaya to Maryland in the US - but 3800 baht for a small box weighing .6kg in total struck me as expensive. DHL's tracking system is exceptionally good - its reassuring to check it every 12 or so hours and see that your little box of wonder is progressing through their system, and my buyer hasnt mentioned anything about excessive customs duties at his end so I'm assuming US Customs didnt slug him too hard.

It maybe opened because it's powder, also many countries do not allow dairy in if it contains powdered milk.

I had a load of 3 in1 taken at Perth.

Damn. I just checked the Dutch Customs site and it seems that you might have a point there. Here's a screenshot of the current regs.

I'll give them a ring tomorrow to clarify the position. Individual packets contain 0.98% skimmed milk in addition to other ingredients.

Odd though because when I got pulled over going through the green channel at Amsterdam Schiphol airport, they didn't say a dicky bird about the coffee even though I had 24 packets of the stuff in my suitcase at the time.

post-101376-0-44424300-1424015435_thumb.

When I used that link to price, just as an example, a 2 Kg. package to the U.S., here's the rate options it delivered:

attachicon.gifPS0035.jpg

The lower priced options appear to be just for documents. By the time you get to the actual packages of contents, it appears to be in the 800 to 1000 baht range on the low end, up to more than 1900 baht for sending that weight via EMS... Not much in the way of bargains there.

EMS is a one priced box it seems. So whether you send 2kg or 20kg, the cost is the same at 1400 Baht (#7 in your image).

The figure of 1900 Baht which you mentioned applies to documents.

I just recently sent one package to Europe and it arrived after 4 days another was sent to Malaysia and arrived after 30 days. Both using regular air mail.

It's available in Big C, costs 77 Baht for a 500 gram packet of 25 individual packets.

There are other flavours, but the "Smooth & Creamy" is the original. Adding a little milk improves the flavour I find.

I've seen it listed at Amazon, but it's currently unavailable. No price mentioned there either.

Also available via Alibaba, but minimum order is a twenty foot container. I don't know where I could store one of those in my rabbit hut sized apartment. sad.png

How much did the packet you sent to Europe cost and what did it weigh if you don't mind me asking.

Prices on Amazon for items originating in Thailand can be outrageous. Recently I saw a bottle of tablets costing 100 baht at a local pharmacy listed at $11.99 and then there's this... over 1000% markup by some sellers over what it sells for at Jusco.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Kirei+Kirei+foam&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AKirei+Kirei+foam

and here's the coffee... free shipping... shame about the price though.

http://www.amazon.com/Khao-Shong-Condensed-Sachets-Thailand/dp/B008QTBLKK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424023688&sr=8-2&keywords=Khao+Shong

Edited by kkerry

It maybe opened because it's powder, also many countries do not allow dairy in if it contains powdered milk.

I had a load of 3 in1 taken at Perth.

Damn. I just checked the Dutch Customs site and it seems that you might have a point there. Here's a screenshot of the current regs.

I'll give them a ring tomorrow to clarify the position. Individual packets contain 0.98% skimmed milk in addition to other ingredients.

Odd though because when I got pulled over going through the green channel at Amsterdam Schiphol airport, they didn't say a dicky bird about the coffee even though I had 24 packets of the stuff in my suitcase at the time.

I think what I'll do here is to describe it as "Instant coffee with non-dairy creamer" on the Customs form. That at least is written on the packet so I'm not lying by describing it that way.

Also, it's listed for sale on Amazon UK and since that's an EU country which allows the product to be imported over there, it should be sufficient proof that it's OK.

Prices on Amazon for items originating in Thailand can be outrageous. Recently I saw a bottle of tablets costing 100 baht at a local pharmacy listed at $11.99 and then there's this... over 1000% markup by some sellers over what it sells for at Jusco.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Kirei+Kirei+foam&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AKirei+Kirei+foam

Yes, that's very true. I suppose we can't very well continue to accuse thais of hiking up the price for foreigners when our fellow countrymen screw us like that.

In my experience about 1/2 of mail sent to me while in Thailand arrived. Two out of three letters I sent to a friend in the States arrived; the other one - with a check - never made it (check was never cashed). Two packages that I sent to the U.S. got there, and one package sent to me in Arizona from Chiang Mai, Thai registered mail arrived. One letter didn't. And one important letter that i sent to Chiang Mai from Arizona did not make it.

we just sent a 1.78 kg package BKK to the UK last Thursday

980 baht and 55b registered mail , this was SAL , small packet

does anyone know about the special fixed price EMS boxes ? cost , sizes and how much weight you can put in them ?

attachicon.gifPS0035.jpg

does anyone know about the special fixed price EMS boxes ? cost , sizes and how much weight you can put in them ?

EMS can be up to 30Kg: http://www.thailandpost.com/service-detail.php?sid=61&service=472

Link to rates on the same page.

Edited by Xircal

Maybe you can find it here

put in 20000 g (20kg) and USA

the last price #10 shows EMS World (One Price Box) 1400 B

but I cannot find size of boxes or a webpage that I can show the postal clerk,

if anyone knows or has a Thai "translator" handy that can search the Thai post website maybe this is a good way to save money and get it sent quicker

more info on One Price Box

http://topicstock.pantip.com/klaibann/topicstock/2012/08/H12579246/H12579246.html

anyone want to translate and if it still works !

EMS can be up to 30Kg: http://www.thailandpost.com/service-detail.php?sid=61&service=472

Link to rates on the same page.

Edited by BKKdreaming

Here is a picture of the one price box EMS sticker

still trying to figure it out ,

somewhere it said you could use up to "D" size box , 22cm x 35cm x 14cm

but another place said there was Small Medium and large boxes but no size measurements.....

I need 24 x 28 and at least 10cm thick

anyway stii GOOGLING