Defibrillators being placed at key locations

Lite Beer

Defibrillators being placed at key locations
THE SUNDAY NATION

30254112-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- IN A BID to save more lives in emergencies, the National Institute for Emergency Medicine (NIEM) and the Public Health Ministry have joined forces in a campaign to install automated external defibrillators (AED) nationwide.

This life-saving device will provide the essential first aid to people suffering cardiac arrest.

Deputy Public Health Minister Somsak Chunharat said at the campaign's launch last week at Bangkok's Hua Lamphong Train Station that during the first phase the aim was to set up AED devices at 3,000 places as well as provide people with proper training in three years.

At the launch there was a demonstration on how to use the device and an on-stage discussion that aimed to provide the general public and the authorities with a good understanding of it.

NIEM chief Anucha Setthasathien said the device - one electrode is placed on the upper chest and another electrode goes on the lower chest - analysed the heart rate and sent an electric shock to it to hopefully restore a normal rhythm until advanced medical care arrives.

Anucha said the devices should be located in busy areas such as train stations, fitness centres and supermarkets and there should be a map at each location showing people where it was so it could be accessed quickly.

During the launch, the NIEM showed off 30 AED devices that will be installed at public places such as the Mor Chit Bus Terminal, the Ekkamai Bus Station, the Klong Toei Port, National Stadium, Lumpini Park, Government House and at Parliament.

The devices were sponsored by the Chin Sophonpanich Foundation, Philips Electronics (Thailand) Ltd and Saint Medical (Critical Care) Co Ltd.

Anucha urged staff at the AED locations to learn how to use the device and take good care of them.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Defibrillators-being-placed-at-key-locations-30254112.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-15

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Instead of fitting the actual first responder vehicles with them, they will place them in various locations so that if you are lucky enough to drop over near one, a passing Somchai can pick it up and basically finish you off if he doesn't kill himself accidentally first, while waiting on the actual first responders to arrive.

I suppose it is better than nothing.

Countdown until it is used as a weapon.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Instead of fitting the actual first responder vehicles with them, they will place them in various locations so that if you are lucky enough to drop over near one, a passing Somchai can pick it up and basically finish you off if he doesn't kill himself accidentally first, while waiting on the actual first responders to arrive.

Excellent! before they get in to any practical use, they will disappear and be resold on the black market if they are actually functional.

a passing Somchai can pick it up and basically finish you off if he doesn't kill himself accidentally first

You should familiarize yourself with the equipment first before unknowingly assigning it characteristics that don't exist. wink.png

Both of your assertions are wrong.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Excellent! before they get in to any practical use, they will disappear and be resold on the black market if they are actually functional.

Another wrong guesser.

See above.

Too soon and too much, Thailand is not ready for such advanced medical assistant, equipment will

go missing or inoperable, man with the keys for where the unit is will be around, keys will be

misplaced, improper use of the equipment, blame shifting around, I envision not even one person

will be saved by this useless idea, this in not for Thailand... not yet anyway...

The placing of defibrillators in key places such as shopping centres, airports , bus stations etc are great so long as personal or people who have to use them are First Aid qualified, to do so , I know how to use one and you can get a nasty electric shock if you don't follow the instructions which are voice activated and pretty straight forward , you don't have to be Einstein to work one , however my main cause for worry is maintenance and reliability and how long will it be before they turn up at the night market.coffee1.gif

I can tell you it has been a ton of work getting to this point. This is a huge step forward in the right direction for Public Access Defibs. I also have the same negative reservations at times, but just the same, I see it as benefit for Thailand. At the very least, maybe a foreigner will save another foreigner or even a Thai with one and it will prove that someone can use one effectively and no one is going to jail. Zoll AEDs like the pictured, has visual CPR feedback,visual directions for use, as well as giving commands in Thai.

Edited by FireMedic

this useless idea, this in not for Thailand... not yet anyway...

So...

People, of all nationalities, don't deserve a chance at having their life saved in Thailand... not yet anyway.

For Thai's it will be free but for foreigner's they will have to insert a credit card into the slot provided and get someone to key in their password! whistling.gif

Enjoyed this post as it provoded a bit of comic relief. I agree with everyone in that this is way too 21st century for Thailand. The idea is sound but will almost surely not prove to be too helful because of theft, non maintiainnance, or Somchai's general unwillingness to get involved helping anyone outisde his immediate family.

Let me take this opportunity, however, to suggest a bit of out of the box thinking. I will assume that many expats like myself are of an age where heart problems and a sudden cardiac arrest are a real cocern. In the US and much of the West we have the luxury of being able to call 911 and have a paramedic on site quickly to shock our heart back to life. Have any of you even considered buying your own defibrillator. I have had one for years. The best brand for home use is made by Philips.

Hmmm. Previous post get sent prematurely. Don't quite know how. Allow me to continue.

They can be had for as little as $600 USD. And, no, you do not need to be a health care provider to buy one. I would encourage anyone with a potential heart risk to look into this. I think you will agree that the cost is trivial given the high probability it may save your life or that of someone close to you.

I think the AEDs are a good idea as long as they are placed in locations where workers in that area are given a little bit of training on it's use. In the later part of my career I was issued an AED to carry with me in my work vehicle, I had only a few hours of training on the day they issued them to us. I did use it on two occasions in the following years and I am sure that the life of two people were saved because of it because in both cases rescue and ambulances took ten or more minutes to respond. These are simple machines to use and have step by step instructions on them, some models even have voice instructions that guide you through the process. Anyone could use them and if they have a couple of hours training all the better. Even if a person messes up in using an AED it is better than doing nothing at all, at the very least it increases the chance of survival of the victim.

This is a step in the right direction for first response and emergency care, any step in this direction is a good thing as it is emergency medical response which is painfully lacking in Thailand.

I do wonder whether or not personal liability comes into this. It is not uncommon for people to be too scared to render help first aid to accident victims through fear or blame and legal repercussion.

To use this equipment without liability in the instance of 'intention' to render life saving first aid a well publicised good Samaritan law would need to be recognised.

This is a step in the right direction for first response and emergency care, any step in this direction is a good thing as it is emergency medical response which is painfully lacking in Thailand.

I do wonder whether or not personal liability comes into this. It is not uncommon for people to be too scared to render help first aid to accident victims through fear or blame and legal repercussion.

To use this equipment without liability in the instance of 'intention' to render life saving first aid a well publicised good Samaritan law would need to be recognised

I also agree Good Samaritan laws are necessary, however here they don't feel the same. I've been dealing with this group for 2 years and we are at this point now. So far, our AEDs have been used several times here in Thailand and there have been no attempts to collect money from anyone. Remember Public Access Defibs are designed for "Public use". They only way someone could successfully get money from another person granted by the court is if you used the AED (as a striking weapon) to kill the person first.

How about they just teach basic CPR in schools first. I don´t think I want some idiot second guessing and using a defib machine on me without some medical and instrument training. You will end up having heart burn being treated with them and it will end up stopping your heart.

This is out of their comprehension, I had a GF that didn´t even know we had been to the moon, her concept of the moon was it showed you when to plant the rice !!

Not their fault, just a complete lack of education. Hold him down I will get the defibrillator....

Why all the negative posts? In a land with traffic congestion like Thailand you would be thankful if you survive a heart attack after being saved by an AED.

I guess most of you don't have a clue how good these AED's are and also that you do NOT need to have been trained to use one.

I think you might change your mind when you are suffering a heart attack and are waiting for an ambulance to show up!

This is a very positive step to help people to get the necessary first survival aid!

Edited by Cheops

How about they just teach basic CPR in schools first. I don´t think I want some idiot second guessing and using a defib machine on me without some medical and instrument training. You will end up having heart burn being treated with them and it will end up stopping your heart.

This is out of their comprehension, I had a GF that didn´t even know we had been to the moon, her concept of the moon was it showed you when to plant the rice !!

Not their fault, just a complete lack of education. Hold him down I will get the defibrillator....

I have done this dozens and dozens and dozens of times all around Thailand. This was a school in Chumpon. 1000 kids did CPR with AED in 2 days. We are working very hard to get this message out. post-158329-0-27728400-1423981640_thumb.

In most cases I would take this as a positive but not here. I really hope they provide adequate training.

Last year I was on a call and was standing on the forth level parking garage at Aloft hotel on soi 11. I was looking down to the parking area of the Angel City diner and saw a man collapse and could tell he was having an epileptic seizure.

A group of motorcycle taxi guys rushed to his aid (which was nice) but then to my horror one of them started pounding on his chest to give him chest compressions, even though he was clearly breathing and had a pulse. Anyone who knows CPR knows that this can stop a persons heart.

I yelled down to them to stop then an older farang lady intervened but they did not listen to her at first. She finally got them to stop and then she took over supporting his head. He eventually came out of it and was ok.

Another wrong guesser.

See above.

OK. 'Don't keep us in suspense. Why is that wrong?

I have done this dozens and dozens and dozens of times all around Thailand. This was a school in Chumpon. 1000 kids did CPR with AED in 2 days. We are working very hard to get this message out. attachicon.gifChumpon CPR1.jpg

I´ts a worry, I was driving past an accident where a (Thai) guy ran up the back of a scooter with a side car going over a hill. There was a cop standing next to the accident directing traffic around it, waiting for an ¨Ambulance¨. I checked the one guy who was pretty stufed up, he was breathing OK so I put him in the recovery position, before he choked on his own body fluids. Then I noticed another guy lying off the road in the bushes. I checked him and managed to get him on the road and put him in the recovery position. Meanwhile, the cop directed traffic !! I left as son as the ambulance arrived, they were still both breathing.....

It is good to see someone is making an effort with the CPR training !! But 1000 kids in 2 days ? It takes us 5 days on an oil rig with a crew of 100 or so !!! But something positive is better than nothing, I guess, but sometimes a little knowledge can be more dangerous.

In most cases I would take this as a positive but not here. I really hope they provide adequate training.

Last year I was on a call and was standing on the forth level parking garage at Aloft hotel on soi 11. I was looking down to the parking area of the Angel City diner and saw a man collapse and could tell he was having an epileptic seizure.

A group of motorcycle taxi guys rushed to his aid (which was nice) but then to my horror one of them started pounding on his chest to give him chest compressions, even though he was clearly breathing and had a pulse. Anyone who knows CPR knows that this can stop a persons heart.

I yelled down to them to stop then an older farang lady intervened but they did not listen to her at first. She finally got them to stop and then she took over supporting his head. He eventually came out of it and was ok.

TING TONG Farang, Thai know because they see on Thai TV. Don´t you know Thai are different, special, not same Farang...

SCARY huh?

So now we know they ALL are competent in using life saving (or ending) Defib machines..... whistling.gif