Alcohol sales banned on roads, pedestrian areas and bus terminals

Lite Beer

Alcohol sales banned on roads, pedestrian areas and bus terminals

BANGKOK, 15 February 2015 (NNT) - The Prime Minister’s Office has issued a ban on alcoholic beverage sales on the roads and pedestrian areas. The ban also covers sales and consumption of alcoholic beverages at bus terminals.

Director-General of the Department of land Transport Thiraphong Rodprasert said the ban was imposed since drunk-driving was the main cause of road accidents. Those who violated the ban were subject to imprisonment of up to six months and/or 10,000 baht fine, he said.

Safety of public bus passengers was always a priority of the department, said the director-general. The department makes sure that drivers of all types of public buses have zero alcohol in their blood. Those who are found to have more than zero milligram percent while on duty will be immediately replaced and face up to three-month imprisonment and/or fine of 2,000-10,000 baht. Their employers will also face fine of not over 40,000 baht.

The department will send officers to inspect alcohol sales and consumption at bus terminals and set up check points on the roads. The general public are urged to take part in promoting road safety by alerting officers if they see alcohol sales at bus terminals or public bus drivers drinking on the bus or while driving.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-02-15 footer_n.gif

If folk want a beer they will find a beer................rolleyes.gif

Indeed. I think the ban on alcohol sales along roads has been in force for quite some time but I have never had a problem finding a beer (traveling in a car with a driver, of course).

Indeed. I think the ban on alcohol sales along roads has been in force for quite some time but I have never had a problem finding a beer (traveling in a car with a driver, of course).

Wasn't it made illegal for anyone travelling in a vehicle to drink alcohol ?

• Like 1

Friday night saw a school bus ( 40 10 years olds on board) on highway 12 out side of Roi Et stop and the driver got out and bought 2 large Chang's from a local Thai restaurant start to drink a beer as he got back onboard. UN FORKING BELIEVABLE.w00t.gif

But a guy like that will always have a beer, he buys it NOW where he knows he can, he will STILL have a beer from somewhere, or buy before his job route.

• Like 1

This Government should win the first price in a contest for the most childish government ever......

If the want to ban alcohol, they have to ban totally, do they really think this gonna change any attitude of the bus drivers ?

• Like 1

Wasn't it made illegal for anyone travelling in a vehicle to drink alcohol ?

Yes, but nobody ever bothered me.

Friday night saw a school bus ( 40 10 years olds on board) on highway 12 out side of Roi Et stop and the driver got out and bought 2 large Chang's from a local Thai restaurant start to drink a beer as he got back onboard. UN FORKING BELIEVABLE.w00t.gif

so... did you do anything about it?

Rrrrright, to make buses in Thailand safer, punish anyone else who want to buy some booze to later enjoy in front of the telly at home, and especially punish the mini market vendors who are surviving on peantuts anyway and now lose the possibility to make some extra money by selling beer and whisky? Typical Thai overreaction, aimless activism without brain activation... Discover Thainess! sick.gif

Edited by catweazle

Rrrrright, to make buses in Thailand safer, punish anyone else who want to buy some booze to later enjoy in front of the telly at home, and especially punish the mini market vendors who are surviving on peantuts anyway and now lose the possibility to make some extra money by selling beer and whisky? Typical Thai overreaction, aimless activism without brain activation... Discover Thainess! sick.gif

I believe alcohol sales is banned along highways in quite a few European countries.

Wrong on so many levels. Firstly 'drunk driving' is not the major cause of road accidents. Statistics over the Christmas/New Year period showed that 37 per cent of accidents involved at least one person over the legal limit. It is logical to assume, then, that a proportionl of this 37 per cent - let's say 63 per cent - would have happened whether or not alcohol was involved. Thierefore the number of accidents directly attributable to alcohol consumption is probably in the region of 14 per cent. The other 86 per cent are down to poor driving. Since the majority involve motorcycles, the way to reduce accidents is to ensure that riders of these vehicles obey the rules of the road along with everyone else, which means not riding down the wrong side of the road, not going through red lights, not traveling the wrong way down one-way streets etc.

Whilst it makes sense to ban alcohol sales in areas dedicated to serving drivers (such as Motorway Services in the UK), these do not exist as such in Thailand. Banning alcohol in bus stations purely to prevent bus drivers from buying drinks is just insane. And 'pedestrian areas'. Does that mean the rest of the country? The mind boggles......

• Like 1

I heard Prayut needs to ban alcohol before legalizing cannabis so that he can become an Obama class leader with his plan to make Bangkok the new Amsterdam of the East, he found put that Thong lo police were damaging tourism by interfering with cannabis traffic between Asoke and Ekamoi and he soon learnt no weed no peace as the weedsters are heavy on social media and that it is not so evil like the pink pills that burma bombards Thailand with, basically the closing of street bars is the beginning of weed revolution, there are already 24 hour coffeeshops where you can sit and vape your dabs peacefully without wasting money and without getting a hangover. The beer companies apparently were pushing Thong Lo thinking that if they instigated some anti weed sentiment the expats would double the drinking and they could double profits

I say Boomshanka to Prayut