Turkish tourist killing on Samui takes new twist

Thaivisa News

Mass tourism during the last few years is destroying Thailand very quickly.

Lots of money is too be made. It will attract low lifer scum both ways.

As far as the bar manager, put him in jail and throw away the keys.

Thailand used to be very nice and that is what attracted me.

If I wouldn't have invested so much I would have been gone.

Maybe Thailand would have been better to go the way of Bhutan. Charge all tourists $250 a day to enter, make entering on a tour mandatory and then impose a quota on annual foreign tourist arrivals, perhaps 10,000 a year.

It didn't take long for the apologists to stick their heads up.

It may come as a surprise to you that many tourists don't find an endless round of similar looking temples and buffaloes or watching water fall over a cliff or rice growing to be their idea of a holiday.

Actually your attitude really sucks.

Tourist should be safe wherever they go the same as any other person and more so when patronising an establishment that caters predominantly to tourists.

Obviously to confusing for hanno

The story clearly says the gun was planted on the Turk.

Quality Hosts. wai2.gifwai.gif

"The clip showed the man crawling out and Kabin walking to him and shooting him at close range."

All those islands are ruled by thugs.

Yep... They are... But maybe if the quality of the tourist was better, the quality of the host would be better too...

If the tourists went to somewhere off the beaten track instead of the 'party islands', Phuket or Pattaya... They would see good quality and welcoming Thai hospitality...

Want to go to a place crawling with overweight perverts and act the thug? Expect the locals to act the thug back...

Som nam nah

Probably been to nakon si nowhere a couple of times and think all the stupid inane grinning is because they like him.

Nope, spent a year teaching in Nong Khai; was invited on school trips to plenty of places around the country and it opened my eyes a lot more than go-go bars and brothels on an overpriced island ever would.

While I was in Nong Khai, I was treated like an equal and was never once jumped on for my money. Unlike the party islands, Pattaya and Phuket where money, greed and the printing of the letters ATM on a foreigners forehead is pretty much mandatory.

Been in Thailand quite a long time and never had a gun pulled on me... Been to the island in question where this Turkish fellow was killed and never been attacked...

But then again, I treat the place and the people with respect and not like one big brothel where I can turn up, jump into bed with a teenage bar girl and then bugger off home again...

• 4 weeks later...

I've been in Thailand and coming here since '85. I quit Phuket in '94, Koh Samui in '05 and now my wife and children have been enjoying Sapporo on Hokkaido in Japan in winter 4-5 days (for the snow and sashimi & it is surprisingly affordable now that Japan has been in a deep depression for 10+ years) ...and Langkawi in Malaysia for beach fun. There is less booze, fewer hookers, almost no drugs, and almost no one gets shot dead in an angry mafia hit as happens on an almost nightly basis in Thailand's tourist meccas. The lack of military juntas and coups are also quite refreshing.

• Like 1

There are far more lovely local expats than lowlifes on Samui. Most are eccentrics for sure, but the vast majority are nice enough.

But like anywhere with money to be made and a fast turnover of potential targets, lowlifes will always show up, and inevitably step in local toes, some more or most far far less.

Most not so much, but some have no off button on their greed, arrogance and cultural insensitivity. This seems to be the case here, on face value.

There is a local power block, but it still kow tows to Bangkok power, both white hats and black hats. This location is at relatively the nexus of the two powers on Samui. Maybe this front man and his minion truly thought they are backed by more power than they really are. This was far more brazen a show than Koh Taos hide n seek game.

This is not about 'islands corruption' as if this were different somehow than any other Thailand protection fiefdom. It is about littler fish in the bigger scheme overstepping their instructions, from either; stupidity, arrogance , amorality or borderline insanity.

Have you perchance been taking illegal substances?

Funny I almost posted on the original report that it's likely the gun was planted on him.

Once again the world gets the true meaning of Thainess; where life is cheap and where Thais feel so superior than any other race they can take a life without consequence and over the most trivial of matters.

Seriously you could offer me $10 million tax free to visit Thailand and I would turn it down without blinking an eye-lid. Why anyone would want to visit or live in the cesspit of humanity ( or lack of humanity ) is beyond my comprehension.

With that attitude, I hope that you would turn down any visit to Thailand, although I might suspect that greed would trump any other concerns!

** "Cesspit of humanity....Lack of humanity"!! Which is it? Lack or cesspit? You can't have it both ways! In either case, just where do you live? What credentials do you bring to the table in order to pass such judgement?

As far as having visited or lived in any really bad areas, I guess you haven't tried Seapoint or Salt River,, Capetown, South Africa, Caracas, Venezuela, Rio de Janiero, Brazil...or hey, what about Kinshasa, in Democratic Republic of the Congo? Try ANY of those places out and then come back and tell us that Thailand is the "cesspit of humanity"! In fact, compare walking about Jarvis and Queen, Toronto in the middle of the night with doing a walkabout in most parts of Thailand! Personally, I would far rather be walkiing about here in Thailand then any of those areas! Of course that's predicated on one behaving like a respectful decent person. You want to walk about in Bangkok, Chang Mai, Pattaya, or Phuket as a drunken, abusive falang at 2 in the morning (any time for that matter), telling various and sundry to "f%^k off" or give the middle finger to someone, you are sure going to have problems! But never mind Kinshasa, try that sort of behaviour in "little San Juan" in St.Thomas, USVI and see if you fare any better!!

** "Thais feel superior to any other race"? Where are you getting this stuff?? You basing that on a couple of low-lifes on Koh Samui doing what is common place in many of those places which I mentioned above?!!!

I have been and lived in many, many places in my lifetime! I have only been three years here in Thailand, but that time has been spent in various parts of country, both rural and urban.. My experience has been that the majority of Thai people, just as elsewhere in the world, will treat you with the same respect (or disrespect, perhaps in your case) as you treat them. Every country, every city has areas which are better avoided.

Suffinator........with all due respect, I think that you might benefit from reading the following advisory http://www.propertyshowrooms.com/thailand/guide/crime-and-police-in-thailand.asp Get on a computer also, and do a bit of googling. You just might get that mind of yours to open its currently locked prejudiced doors and give "Fair Judgement" entry!