Surapong hits back at Thavorn over Ms Yingluck’s alleged escape plan

Lite Beer

The army are there to serve the people, not the other way around ?

And they are riding the country of Corrupt, Deceitful & Incompetent politicians who have brought this country to it's knees, and they are trying to rebuild a foolproof political system.

Will you guys not give the general a chance, remember Rome was not built in a day...

As for Yingluck wanting to leave the country, let her, but this time do not let her back in.

Do you honestly believe the army itself was free from corruption ? I'm all for checks and balances but who exactly does the Army answer to if they are for the people ?

Seriously you believe that all these high ranking officers got their huge fortunes by saving like good little boys ??

These guys have had fingers in many pies, and sit on many commercial and state owned enterprises boards, that should NEVER have been allowed to happen.

They are soldiers, not businessmen it's a massive conflict of interest. You need to open up your eyes, it's naive to think the military don't have corruption and graft within their ranks.

• Like 1

The Junta want her to flee. The US has by and large stayed out of Thai affairs, hoping things would right themselves without giving China too much of an opening, however, events have taken a darker turn - the all out assault on the Red leadership, which has never been done by either side before, has the US worried that if something does happen to Yingluck they will look terrible - the US have let democracy be overthrown and elected politicians be persecuted without so much as a whimper. Not a good look for Obamas' legacy. The ultra right wing nationalist faction of the coup has backed the US into a corner - it is a fight the Junta cannot win (with or without China's backing)

Which way do you people want it.? here you claim the U S has let Democracy be over thrown, but as soon as remarks are made by U S politicians about the current government restoring domocracy everyone is up in arms as the U S is medeling in Thai politics

The US should have been more vocal from the start and made their position clear, no elections = no friendship and no trade. Instead the US gently scolded the Generals and hoped democracy would return by itself, this course of action emboldened the Generals and the ultra right to go after Yingluck and co. in a way they've never done before and now the US has belatedly realised it must make its position explicit, thus the dispatching of Russell and his carefully worded public statements. The displeasure from the Junta at Americas' recent outspokenness is because they know it signifies a change in position from the US and they will no longer be given a free hand to suppress and persecute their own citizens - the tone has changed and the US would have made sure the Japanese gave the same message to the good General on his recent trip which is probably why the general felt the need to publicly state there will be elections within 12 months. The US couldn't have prevented the coup - but they sure as hell could of and should of put a lot more pressure on the Thai elites behind the machine to do the right thing in upholding democracy - they didn't ,but now appear to be correcting that mistake which is a good thing.

utter rubbish. but I ssuppose typical of ignorant red shirt supporters

why do you think red shirt supporters are ignorant ? ... just because they have a different point of view to yours ... you are showing that you are incredibly ignorant

The Junta want her to flee. The US has by and large stayed out of Thai affairs, hoping things would right themselves without giving China too much of an opening, however, events have taken a darker turn - the all out assault on the Red leadership, which has never been done by either side before, has the US worried that if something does happen to Yingluck they will look terrible - the US have let democracy be overthrown and elected politicians be persecuted without so much as a whimper. Not a good look for Obamas' legacy. The ultra right wing nationalist faction of the coup has backed the US into a corner - it is a fight the Junta cannot win (with or without China's backing)

The ruling PM and former general already arranged many deals with China, with North Korea coming next...wai2.gifwai2.gif

The ruling PM and former general already arranged many deals with China, with North Korea coming next...wai2.gifwai2.gif

Like Thaksin's many visits to Beijing weren't also business-trips ? The dodgy tablet-computers, rice-deals or freight-railway to reach Thai ports/markets or the Dawei project ? You think perhaps he was just there for the fresh air, or to take the waters ?

But I hadn't heard about North Korea, do you perhaps have details or a link, to your source ?

• Like 2

or was the ex Democrat MP just trying to stir the political @#$%, which, I believe, is illegal under the new regime? I expect a summons for re-education any moment for the former democrat (in name only).

I don't think a 7 day re-education period will be anywhere enough time to get results. Seriously, you this guy can be reformed.

If Ms. Yingluck was to escape Thailand, would the government be able to get all the properties that

her and her brother own? Would the government also be able to get the rest of the assets

that her and her brother own as well, like stocks and bonds, and safety deposit box contents,

as well as the houses and cars etc. If so, go ahead Ms. Yingluck, run away, run away!

Just wondering.

Perhaps she was only heading to the US to further her studies. Politics, Democracy and Economics would be good subjects as she has little knowledge in those fields.

Don't forget basic English 101.
Just out of interest, how is your Thai? Edited by JAG

If Ms. Yingluck was to escape Thailand, would the government be able to get all the properties that

her and her brother own? Would the government also be able to get the rest of the assets

that her and her brother own as well, like stocks and bonds, and safety deposit box contents,

as well as the houses and cars etc. If so, go ahead Ms. Yingluck, run away, run away!

Just wondering.

In a word, no.

The Shin clan keep the vast majority of the proceeds of their criminal activity overseas. Previous hoardes of Shin money have been tracked down in the BVI, Caymans and some dodgy small southern European countries.

They could seize houses, cars and onshore cash but that would likely amount to less than 1% of the amount the clan has stolen from the Thai peoples.

• Like 1

Which way do you people want it.? here you claim the U S has let Democracy be over thrown, but as soon as remarks are made by U S politicians about the current government restoring domocracy everyone is up in arms as the U S is medeling in Thai politics

The US should have been more vocal from the start and made their position clear, no elections = no friendship and no trade. Instead the US gently scolded the Generals and hoped democracy would return by itself, this course of action emboldened the Generals and the ultra right to go after Yingluck and co. in a way they've never done before and now the US has belatedly realised it must make its position explicit, thus the dispatching of Russell and his carefully worded public statements. The displeasure from the Junta at Americas' recent outspokenness is because they know it signifies a change in position from the US and they will no longer be given a free hand to suppress and persecute their own citizens - the tone has changed and the US would have made sure the Japanese gave the same message to the good General on his recent trip which is probably why the general felt the need to publicly state there will be elections within 12 months. The US couldn't have prevented the coup - but they sure as hell could of and should of put a lot more pressure on the Thai elites behind the machine to do the right thing in upholding democracy - they didn't ,but now appear to be correcting that mistake which is a good thing.

utter rubbish. but I ssuppose typical of ignorant red shirt supporters

why do you think red shirt supporters are ignorant ? ... just because they have a different point of view to yours ... you are showing that you are incredibly ignorant

You ask a question and following you give the answer. Next you assume the answer correct and condemn another poster based on an answer you gave and consider correct.

Next we'll discuss why answers and questions are completely unnecessary when one wants to condemn someone without proper justification.

Interesting to see the previously banned member fab4 posting again under the name TheDiva.

Same old rhetoric, same old cut and paste same attacks on the same people same topics..

• Like 2

Yes he is and AFAIK he has STILL not responded to the Ombudsman as to why it was returned.

The whole passport issue is a huge red herring as the powers that be can cancel at any time if they so wish, maybe you should be asking why it hasn't been cancelled?

Well, do you think the current MoFA should order his officilas to withdraw the passport for lack of better things to do? Or should he do it so the 'other' can shout about the 'right' of a convict to have a nice, shiny passport?

BTW nothing was reported, but although Thaksin still has his passport is it still valid?

More to the topic, does Ms. Yingluck still have a passport and if yes what type?

I DO think that Thaksins Thai passport which was ilegally issued by Sueapong should be revoked ASAP. Thaksin does NOT need a passport to return to Thailand as any Thai Embassy or Consulate worldwide can issue hin a travel document to return to Thailand should HE wish to return.

As for Yingluck I have no idea what passport she currently holds, presumeably a diplomatic one but she should be allowed to keep it until the outcome of the court case. Whatever the result the court can decide on the passport.

So, if she does not run she can sue for defamation, right? I, forgot, those defamation suits are only for the right-wing nuts!

thumbsup.gif

Can you explain how many defamation suits Thaksin has file in his time?

Probably more than 25 but of course according to your theory that makes him a right wing nut.

So either he isn't a right wing nut or you are talking rubbish again.

Try looking here

https://cpj.org/2006/06/thailand-acting-prime-minister-files-more-criminal.php

quote New York, June 15, 2006—The Committee to Protect Journalists condemns Thailand’s caretaker prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s continuing use of criminal defamation charges to silence critical media outlets. The most recent charges, filed on Wednesday, targeted three Thai-language dailies, Matichon, Khao Sod and Daily News.

or perhaps here

http://www.international.ucla.edu/cisa/article/42112

THAILAND: Thaksin, Plodprasop file lese majeste suits against Sondhi

More libel and lese majeste suits erupt against publisher Sondhi, newspaper

Bangkok Post

Wednesday, April 5, 2006

More libel and lese majeste suits resulting from the anti-Thaksin protests were directed at publisher Sondhi Limthongkul yesterday, notably one from Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra himself. The prime minister felt the need to defend his name after Mr Sondhi allegedly slandered him during the anti-Thaksin rallies organised by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), said his lawyer Chatri Tharipapassaro.

Mr Sondhi, a core leader of PAD, was also targeted for a lese majeste charge filed by Plodprasop Suraswadi, assistant to the caretaker natural resources minister.

Mr Sondhi, in the meantime, fought back against the government by suing caretaker Prime Minister's Office Minister Newin Chidchob, who accused him in a television interview of committing lese majeste in his speech.

I am sure you can find some on your own by now.

• Like 2

The whole passport issue is a huge red herring as the powers that be can cancel at any time if they so wish, maybe you should be asking why it hasn't been cancelled?

It definitely smells. It is also a fine example of a government acting illegally and in the interest of the man paying their recurrent bribes, while refusing to acknowledge the check and balances of democracy. That it was one of the top priorities of this government carried out in a time of national crisis, and using a sycophantic relative, inserted into a position he had no logical claim to except nepotism, to hand deliver the document, is even more damning.

But of course, they were elected, so that's alright then.

You missed Fat Haggis' point altogether, or maybe you were playing the monkey chased the weasel.

His question was: "the junta has supreme power and could have revoked Thaksin's passport at any time. Why have they not revoked it?"

It definitely smells. It is also a fine example of a government acting illegally and in the interest of the man paying their recurrent bribes, while refusing to acknowledge the check and balances of democracy. That it was one of the top priorities of this government carried out in a time of national crisis, and using a sycophantic relative, inserted into a position he had no logical claim to except nepotism, to hand deliver the document, is even more damning.

You missed Fat Haggis' point altogether, or maybe you were playing the monkey chased the weasel.

His question was: "the junta has supreme power and could have revoked Thaksin's passport at any time. Why have they not revoked it?"

How do you know they didn't. Furthermore why should they spent time on this criminal fugitive? Dont you think there are more important things to do? Get the economy which suffers from unattention of the Thaksin pre-occcupied Yingluck government. The 700 billion Baht RPPS loss which needs financing, etc., etc.

BTW I'm sure the moment the MoFA or MoJ revokes the passport we have a good dozen posters here to cecry that obvious lack of democracy and justice.

• Like 1

Perhaps she was only heading to the US to further her studies. Politics, Democracy and Economics would be good subjects as she has little knowledge in those fields.

Don't forget basic English 101.
Just out of interest, how is your Thai?

Well it could be better and it could be worse. I can carry on a decent conversation in Thai. When I came here in 1995 I purchased a set of twenty tapes from Asia Book Store in Bangkok. I started out learning the tones, then the words. It took about three months before I was able to put a simple sentence together. The hardest part was constructing the sentence backwards from English to mean the same thing. I was working for Motorola and they provided me with a car and driver. The driver helped me a lot and I returned the favor by teaching him better English.

But I'll say this, if I was going to represent this country here and abroad with the expectation of speaking Thai language, which of course I never will, and be in the public's eye, I would certainly try to learn to speak fluent Thai. If that didn't work they would have to get someone else for the job or agree to provide an interpreter.

• Like 2

Neither you nor I know whether the passport has been cancelled. But the claim that the issue is a "red herring" is worthy of discussion, except to those that find discussion of such blatantly undemocratic and corrupt actions uncomfortable because they wish to pretend the former government was neither. I'll leaving playing the monkey to you.

• Like 1