Public health ministry concerned over smog in 9 northern provinces

Lite Beer

Public health ministry concerned over smog in 9 northern provinces

PNEVN580215001000401_15022015_015032.jpg

BANGKOK, 15 February 2015 (NNT) - The Ministry of Public Health has instructed provincial public health offices in nine provinces to closely monitor effects of smog caused by forest fires on health.

Public Health Minister MD Ratchata Ratchatanawin said the nine provinces were in the upper northern region, including Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Lampang, Lamphun, Mae Hong Son, Phayao, Phrae, Nan and Tak. All hospitals in the provinces were told to prepared medical equipment and medicine for people affected by smog.

The hospitals would dispatch rapid response teams to the areas with smog patients in order to assist them and reduce hazardous air pollutants, said the minister.

The local people are urged to not burn forests, grass, weeds or garbage in order to help decrease pollution in the air. 150,000 face masks have been handed out to people in the nine provinces.

The minister also warned that children, pregnant women, senior people and patients of respiratory and heart diseases should exercise extra caution during this period. They should keep abreast of air quality information and avoid inhaling smog. A face mask is highly recommended when dust pollution is over 120 micrograms/cubic meters.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-02-15 footer_n.gif

"...to closely monitor effects of smog caused by forest fires on health."

How about actually banning forest burning and even rice field stubble burns, if that is the cause of the smog.

Coupled with seriously heavy fines for the lawbreakers. One farmer burning his field might be a minor irritation. Hundreds doing the same is a catastrophe.

It doesn't take an Einstein to figure out inhaling that smoke continuously is hazardous to the health of local residents.

This happens every year as sure as drought and floods. Same old same old. Wake up you northerners.

• Like 3

Every year the same . The local people are urged not to burn....... Do they take even the slightest bit of notice hmmm they do not. It must be something spiritual. , no flames , just leaves and grass smouldering away. The roads around C/Rai from now until the rains come have fires burning on the roadside verges. Nothing at all to do with farming , not ciggie butts as every year the same places. While on the subject I did notice a night or two in BKK last week where the air was poor but that is ok as no fires lit. A little sarcasm goes a long way. Oh ,oh " No smoking " in pubs in C/Rai , outside is ok as that is where the smoke is anyway. Bit of irony there somewhere.

While in no way disagreeing with the harmful effects of breathing atmospheric particulate matter produced by burn-offs, there is another potentially serious open air pollutant which seems to go unmentioned and for which face-masks are useless. This is ground level ozone, a gas which is generated when pollutants emitted, for example, by motor vehicles, power stations, and various industrial plants react with sunlight. In other parts of the world, vehicle exhausts are seen as a major source of the chemicals from which ozone is produced by sunlight, and ground-level ozone is therefore particular problem in urban areas. Breathing ozone is very far from harmless, especially in children and those already suffering from respiratory conditions such as asthma. The gas also appears to cause long-term lung damage even in those who have no immediate symptoms of its effects.

For further information, see: http://www.epa.gov/groundlevelozone/resources.html

• Like 1

maybe they should talk to someone from California where this problem was solved thirty years ago.

They could find out all they need to know in about two hours.

this is Thailand and your idea is just to simple and easy for them and has nothing to do with how thais do farming etc

1. Every rice field was burned in Nov/Dec. Why is it that farang only complain in Feb-April when the weather is different and the pollution more noticeable?

2. People need to be given a better option. Most rural villages have no garbage pickup. I never thought about that until a farang friend of mine who lives in a small village near Mae Taeng told me he burns his garbage too. His choice is to dump it somewhere or burn it. All of you posting here have your garbage picked up by someone. What would you do if you were responsible for it?

• Like 1

"The Ministry of Public Health has instructed provincial public health offices in nine provinces to closely monitor effects of smog caused by forest fires on health."

"Smoke bad for health".

"What do we do?"

"Same as last year"

"Good Idea. That worked out very well".

"Let's go out for a cigarette. This thinking work is very stressful.".wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Why are they wasting column space on something that they know will never be addressed? The key term is "monitor"...not "Will take effective action."

Edited by jaltsc

1. Every rice field was burned in Nov/Dec. Why is it that farang only complain in Feb-April when the weather is different and the pollution more noticeable?

2. People need to be given a better option. Most rural villages have no garbage pickup. I never thought about that until a farang friend of mine who lives in a small village near Mae Taeng told me he burns his garbage too. His choice is to dump it somewhere or burn it. All of you posting here have your garbage picked up by someone. What would you do if you were responsible for it?

No I don't have a rubbish collection. So I use collections in other places. All towns have vacant bins where rubbish can be placed. I put my rubbish in the back of my pickup in neat bin bags, and then drop it off bit by bit where I find a large wheelybin on a collection route, there are many places where they can be found. Near parks, at gas stations, and especially at or near schools [students create a lot of litter]. I put only a small amount in each bin in case someone complains, but no one ever has.The rubbish then ends up where it should, at recycling or at a land fill. The road side rubbish in Thailand [about a ton per kilometer] is a disgrace. And it's all down to laziness.

Ten years ago I was told that burning rice straw was illegal ,but then so is prostitution. Hand out masks and condoms LOL nothing will happen to stop anything positively. The masks do not fit for purpose , In any case millions of masks need to be issued if they were effective. Just take away the cause..Ha Ha smoke gets in their eyes.

While in no way disagreeing with the harmful effects of breathing atmospheric particulate matter produced by burn-offs, there is another potentially serious open air pollutant which seems to go unmentioned and for which face-masks are useless. This is ground level ozone, a gas which is generated when pollutants emitted, for example, by motor vehicles, power stations, and various industrial plants react with sunlight. In other parts of the world, vehicle exhausts are seen as a major source of the chemicals from which ozone is produced by sunlight, and ground-level ozone is therefore particular problem in urban areas. Breathing ozone is very far from harmless, especially in children and those already suffering from respiratory conditions such as asthma. The gas also appears to cause long-term lung damage even in those who have no immediate symptoms of its effects.

For further information, see: http://www.epa.gov/groundlevelozone/resources.html

You have identified yet another health problem that the government will do little or nothing about except talk and wring their hands. When the government begins a campaign similar to its ant-tobacco campaign, then I will know they have serious intentions. The health care cost savings alone would more than pay for the education campaign. What is your solution to using motor vehicles as transport?

I fear headlines like this. Other provinces with sickening air are neglected for not being in the top 9 despite having air that is often less healthy than Bangkok itself. I mean this is the wide open countryside so why shouldn't people be able to enjoy great air quality? I am in Phetchabun province. Air has been hazy with limited visibility since October when the rains stopped. The atmosphere progressively worsens until a rain comes. Trouble is the last couple years it has hardly rained at all in the dry season. Thai's just really enjoy burning everything they can get their hands on and as far as I have seen it is all unnecessary. I never burn anything.

I too live in an area with no garbage collection. I asked what to do and was told by an official to dump in the national forests or burn it. Not liking that answer I asked another official and received a similar response. I have come to understand there is no garbage collection because the people rally against it! So I do exactly like another here--bring my garbage to big roadside dumpsters in cities. I recycle what I can, compost what I can, but it's sickening the wasteful excess plastic packaging I am forced to buy with everything. The locals don't care, they just happily burn all that into the smoggy atmosphere. For them problem solved. Air quality is not something they care about at all.

Just another of many ways that selfish Thai use to kill each other. This is a 'me first' society that is unfettered by legal constraints. Sure other societies are equally selfish but the lawmakers understand this and take steps to protect the citizens. Not so here in Thailand. Lawmakers are powerless and law enforcement is lazy, corrupt and ineffective. A dangerous combination to say the least.

Charles Darwin's theory is being played out in the north. Why are still so many farang retiring there?

"...to closely monitor effects of smog caused by forest fires on health."

How about actually banning forest burning and even rice field stubble burns, if that is the cause of the smog.

Coupled with seriously heavy fines for the lawbreakers. One farmer burning his field might be a minor irritation. Hundreds doing the same is a catastrophe.

It doesn't take an Einstein to figure out inhaling that smoke continuously is hazardous to the health of local residents.

This happens every year as sure as drought and floods. Same old same old. Wake up you northerners.

And the extremely expensive monitoring is funded by the many "2000 baht donations" from tourist dumping cigarette buds in Bangkok.

• Like 1

Just another of many ways that selfish Thai use to kill each other. This is a 'me first' society that is unfettered by legal constraints. Sure other societies are equally selfish but the lawmakers understand this and take steps to protect the citizens. Not so here in Thailand. Lawmakers are powerless and law enforcement is lazy, corrupt and ineffective. A dangerous combination to say the least.

Charles Darwin's theory is being played out in the north. Why are still so many farang retiring there?

Don't worry they learned from Bill Clinton: they don't inhale.

Actually the Thai gov should look at how CA handled agricultural burning practices in the 1960s-70s...

It was a 10 year master roll out plan with everyone involved...

Case studies and best practices are the most effective way to go...

Complete BS to the posters who say its not relevant and a cop out to say Thai is a different culture. Burning is burning and comparable solutions could and should be adapted to fit cultural changes...it's an universal process that is most important...

CB

I have garbage collection and my friend who doesnt brings it into town and puts it the many bins here in town. Burning is selfish and lazy. Especaily plastic. I know some here have collections but still burn it as that is what they have always done. The police here now give fines to anyone making charcoal. One person here who did it has small children. I have never come on here and said anything negative about Thais or Thailand but this is one aspect of living here I dont understand. Forget me im a guest. There killing each other with this nonesence. Edited by bim
  • Like 1

No I don't have a rubbish collection. So I use collections in other places. All towns have vacant bins where rubbish can be placed. I put my rubbish in the back of my pickup in neat bin bags, and then drop it off bit by bit where I find a large wheelybin on a collection route, there are many places where they can be found. Near parks, at gas stations, and especially at or near schools [students create a lot of litter]. I put only a small amount in each bin in case someone complains, but no one ever has.The rubbish then ends up where it should, at recycling or at a land fill. The road side rubbish in Thailand [about a ton per kilometer] is a disgrace. And it's all down to laziness.

My friend has a family of 4. Besides the normal household rubbish, he has over 2 hectares of land. That's a lot of leaf litter.

Your solution is impractical and you know it. Why are you only bringing a little at a time? if dumping it at a school or park was the right thing to do, why not bring all of your rubbish? And if everyone brought all their rubbish to the nearest school or park, then what??

My friend segregates the toxic trash and only burns the organic matter. it's not a perfect solution but this is not a perfect world. Govt solutions are costly and need to be prioritized.

I may have a solution. Where I live there is a rumour going around that this female spirit is after young boys. You can avoid this if you hang a red shirt outside your home stating no young boys live here. Part of the rumour is two young boys died in there sleep. There are red shirts hung everywhere. Now start a rumour that anyone who burns trash a spirit will visit your home and take the first male in the household. The only way to avoid this is by putting trash in bins. The rumour will spread and bingo you can breath again.

• Like 1

Not only the farang complain El Jefe, loads of intelligent Thais are also fed up with this yearly attack on their health.

A small village near Chiang Rai I know of has indeed no garbage pick up and the villagers burn their garbage including plastics

When some of them tried to arrange a garbage pick up the price per household was set at 30 baht per month. Only about 10% of the households agreed to pay this, the others couldn't care less. There is hope though, some of the locals refuse to burn their trash and drive to town to get it disposed properly.

Your excuses about responsibility hold no ground, it's a very weak excuse. Everyone is responsible for his own actions.

• Like 1