Whom of you expats live the longest time in Thailand by now?

Mcffee

I arrived in 1996 but gone since 3 years, but will be back soon. Three years ago my American dentist in San Sai passed away, he still worked at the age of 91 and lived in Chiang Mai for over 50 years, well that is a respectable time and he had seen much more (changes) then almost any of us.

From the expats active on ThaiVisa or people you know who arrived the longest time ago, and how was the Thailand you can remember?

1985 and still love evry minute of it, 69 years old next month and still fully employed earning enough money that would make many people green with envy.

Not really something to boast about - most would want to be doing nothing by that age, well golf etc.

Anyone that age I know working have greedy Thai wives.

I've seen a lot of changes in my 2 decades here.

• Like 2

I've been here - with frequent trips back to Farangland - since 1978.

Long enough to see two generations of Thais come of age, and also to know the "before" and 'after" of Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pattaya, and Phuket.

With the exception of Bangkok, I much preferred the way those places were before.

I'm still happy to be in Chiang Mai... in the same sense that I still love my wife, even though she isn't the laughing girl that I married 32 years ago.

I arrived late 1996 (just after the Baht crash) and I believe only a few years later a lot changed FAST (talking about Chiang Mai), overall mentality. Great bar areas around Night Bazar were closed. Thaksin came in power which destroyed the last bits of peace in the minds, more xenofobia, more stress, half switched from yellow to red shirt, many stupid rules were implemented (bar closing times from 24/7 to 23:00) tourist drop of 70% etc. and now ChiangMai is degradated to a stressful toxic outskirt of Bangkok where cars dominate. Really missing those sweet first years...

1086 AUGUST10TH and counting.

Yermanee wai.gif

You may be overripe, yermanee, but you're not that old!

I came to Thailand in 1991, so can hardly challenge the real old-timers. But I first visited Thailand in 1957.

Oops ! 1986 but at least the month and the date were correcttongue.png

Yermanee wai.gif .

Edited by yermanee

Back in 1455 came here with some Portuguese.. We were on our way to Malacca but I decided to stay here. It's change a lot.

Is this the "i have been here longer then you" thread?

Sent from my c64

Edited by wow64
  • Like 1

1985 and still love evry minute of it, 69 years old next month and still fully employed earning enough money that would make many people green with envy.

Not really something to boast about - most would want to be doing nothing by that age, well golf etc.

Anyone that age I know working have greedy Thai wives.

I've seen a lot of changes in my 2 decades here.

I let my "greedy Thai wife" do all the work, i am too busy doing nothing, working the whole day through ,trying to find lots of things not to do !! now all sing along .hi ho, hi ho.thumbsup.gif