Dos and don’ts guide for Chinese tourists in Chiang Mai

Lite Beer

So 600-700million Baht with 100,000 visitors to CM, that's 6000-7000Baht of revenue per person, hardly what you would call big spenders especially if that includes hotel costs!

You are so right !

I have said it before the face of Thailand will change forever. Thais may rue the day that they started to bring such huge numbers of these people into Thailand. Thailand has already changed enormously in the last 20 years. Their culture, temples etc. are now under threat and only some can see it, TAT does not give a damn. Big numbers of Chinese tourists means that the TAT sycophants will be "rewarded" with higher salaries by their bosses, at the expense of Thailand.

Since the debate of increasing the numbers of mainland Chinese came up more and more Thai are realizing its a mistake. Particularly in Chiang Mai, this is where the trouble started first a couple of years ago. These people a loud, rude, dirty (in their spitting), and trample over Thai culture, which is being felt now in Chang Mai. They have had the hide to walk into lectures at the CNX University, disrupting them. And look at the trouble they also caused in the Temple of the Emerald Buddha recently.

They are ignorant of Thai culture and certainly couldn't care less. These people who coming from China are the first generation of international tourism travelers, their parents are still on the farm, in the noodle shop or on the factory floor. The access to money for this Generation Z has done this, and given that they are spending money (and on average per head, its not much), they think can do whatever they want. The Chinese Z generation has a definite sense of entitlement and narcissism.

Another Question: Why does the Thai administration now discouraged Western tourists and want-to-be expats from staying or coming to Thailand. This has been occuring now for years before the average Chinese even left the farm or the noodle shop. I cannot figure out why Thailand is offering free visas to the mainland Chinese. They only stay for a few days then leave. Per capita they spend a pittance, it is only because they are invading the country in huge numbers that they are worthwhile to the economy. On the other hand Europeans, Australians, the English, Americans etc, spend larger amounts and stay longer, and were once the powerhouse of tourism in Thailand, sadly not anymore. They have been discouraged in so many ways over the last 20 years. And if you think about it a lot of the falang money goes directly into the hands of Thais in the lower income brackets, not the wealthy as does the Chinese money through five star hotels and big travel agencies. As in all countries, governments look after themselves, numerus unus prior.

I am very skeptical of a promotion campaign that specifically targets one population. It is skewed too much to be politically correct, as most other nation's tourist bureaus would see it (I will temper my words here).

If the Chinese are so rude, than why is it that farangs are still the primary target of beatings, assaults, and outright murder. If Chinese are 'trampling over Thai culture', you'd think the average, easily-engaged-to-the-point-of-violence Thais would be kicking Chinese butt left and right -- but I don't hear that in the news. Maybe it's just not being reported? Or maybe they give their fellow asians the benefit of the doubt. Honestly, I don't know.

Chinese men, as yet, are not going to bars. Yes they do go to Walking Street but generally with their wives. Some have been assaulted when trying to take inopportune photos. The damage they are starting to cause is on the record, in the public domain, at Wat Phra Keow, CNX University (lectures disrupted, gardens trampled), and more recently at the White Temple outside Korat that led the benefactor to ban Chinese tour groups for a period. He has put a covenant on tour companies that what happened there, if repeated, he will ban them altogether.

You guys actually don't know how lucky we are. We are getting the UPPER class of PRC tourists in CM. Relatively trendy looking young couples on Nimmanhemin, etc. Good English, many want to know directions to Mango Tango.

The huge shopping groups that are descending on Japan by the busload are unbelievable. I had a short layover at NGO (Centrair) on Feb 3 and this young man interrupted a woman who was ringing me up at the convenience store shouting "I'm First" in broken Japanese. I think the Japanese are so polite they don't know how to deal with them. She put my stuff down and started helping him. I too was speechless.

Then I went to breakfast and this evil Harpy elbowed her way into a buffet line and already irritated without thinking I shouted "HEY"! Ended up with a soy stain on my uniform for the day. My favorite Yakitori restaurant banned them completely.

Honestly though what is up with the surging crowds at Boots and Peera? Are there no OTC drugs and supplements in China?

Edited by arunsakda

Good luck getting them to read it, much less follow it. Chinese tourists are like a horde of overgrown drunk bi-polar down syndrome toddlers (no offense to those with actual disabilities). Chinese tourists are loud but can't communicate (in English or Thai), oblivious, rude, expect everything handed to them, to them they are the center of the universe and the world revolves around them, and they throw temper tantrums when they don't get exactly every little thing they want.

Edited by dwcrist

I'm wondering if the one child policy adopted by the Chinese authorities for all those years might not have something to do with it? One child with no competition from siblings, being fawned over by their relatives may give them a sort of superiority complex, it's me, me,me, all the time. No wish to upset single children on this forum of which there are probably many, but when you get millions of people used to getting their own way with no competition it can't be very healthy. Just sayin'

• Like 2

Good luck getting them to read it, much less follow it. Chinese tourists are like a horde of overgrown drunk bi-polar down syndrome toddlers (no offense to those with actual disabilities). Chinese tourists are loud but can't communicate (in English or Thai), oblivious, rude, expect everything handed to them, to them they are the center of the universe and the world revolves around them, and they throw temper tantrums when they don't get exactly every little thing they want.

Apart from the being loud part it sounds like a description of the natives.

no from witnessing myself, daily reports on tv, the newspapers, and the internet. never had any of these issues. Never left my common sense at the airport.

Every white foreigner should have one glued to their head on arrival . Problem is most are not smart enough to read. maybe that is one of the numerous reasons they tend to get themselves in non stop problems. Rule # 232. Do not walk around Pattaya at 2 am drunk covered in gold . Rule # 555 Do not leave your common sense at the airport. Rule # 666 Do not marry a bar girl.

I assume your words of wisdom are from years of experience in all three areas?

Pride comes before a fall - 'The System' can and does chew up and spit out even the worldly wise like yourself. I would be cautious at who you turn your nose up at...

jesus talk about racial slurs

I'm judging that at your end of the political correctness spectum, saying "Farang" should be a racial slur. But I bet you don't think it is?

Obnoxious Farangs.

Sex-crazed Farangs.

Loud Farangs.

Drunk Farangs.

Impolite Farangs.

All racial slurs? I'm a Farang. Personally I could care less what people call me. I've been called worse in my home country simply based on my skin color. You learn to develop a thick skin and let the stupid comment roll off your back. Racism abounds everywhere; it's only an issue with those who attempt to control the social narrative.

crack on pal maybe u could write an essay about it

Chiang Mai tourist police inspector Pol Lt-Col Asavatorn Wongsawat said complaints came from local people very often of Chinese tourists breaking traffic laws, thus causing frequent road accidents.

I never thought that I would say it, but compared to the Chinese, Thais are driving geniuses.

• Like 1

jesus talk about racial slurs

Where did you see Jesus talk about racial slurs ?

very true and if the truth is racial slurs then call it racial slurs - Who cares if you get offended like some certain people do all the time ....

just pondering what the 4 dots r for at the end ( dont take offence )

>Do you know the cultural background of Chinese and their colloquail sentence structure?

Yes I do.

And I know disrespect, arrogance and rudeness when I see it.

Kindness is translatable to any language.

I think what we're talking about here is 'New Money'.

The inability of the newly rich to behave well, and their habit of behaving badly, being rude and demanding. You see it in a few New Rich from other countries.

Old Money tends - ironically - be more polite and respectful to those serving them.

Perhaps if they hadn't killed 45 million of their fellow citizens (often the more cultured) they would know better how to behave.

Thanks for the reply. I learned something new, or at least a different perspective.

Anyway, I live here so I guess I'll just have to incorporate rude Chinese into the overall 'Chiang Mai Experience'. To be honest, they really don't bother me any more than rude Thais, or for that matter rude farangs. Although, it's also my experience that farangs generally display the best manners. Well, imho.

• Like 1

So 600-700million Baht with 100,000 visitors to CM, that's 6000-7000Baht of revenue per person, hardly what you would call big spenders especially if that includes hotel costs!

You are so right !

I have said it before the face of Thailand will change forever. Thais may rue the day that they started to bring such huge numbers of these people into Thailand. Thailand has already changed enormously in the last 20 years. Their culture, temples etc. are now under threat and only some can see it, TAT does not give a damn. Big numbers of Chinese tourists means that the TAT sycophants will be "rewarded" with higher salaries by their bosses, at the expense of Thailand.

Since the debate of increasing the numbers of mainland Chinese came up more and more Thai are realizing its a mistake. Particularly in Chiang Mai, this is where the trouble started first a couple of years ago. These people a loud, rude, dirty (in their spitting), and trample over Thai culture, which is being felt now in Chang Mai. They have had the hide to walk into lectures at the CNX University, disrupting them. And look at the trouble they also caused in the Temple of the Emerald Buddha recently.

They are ignorant of Thai culture and certainly couldn't care less. These people who coming from China are the first generation of international tourism travelers, their parents are still on the farm, in the noodle shop or on the factory floor. The access to money for this Generation Z has done this, and given that they are spending money (and on average per head, its not much), they think can do whatever they want. The Chinese Z generation has a definite sense of entitlement and narcissism.

Another Question: Why does the Thai administration now discouraged Western tourists and want-to-be expats from staying or coming to Thailand. This has been occuring now for years before the average Chinese even left the farm or the noodle shop. I cannot figure out why Thailand is offering free visas to the mainland Chinese. They only stay for a few days then leave. Per capita they spend a pittance, it is only because they are invading the country in huge numbers that they are worthwhile to the economy. On the other hand Europeans, Australians, the English, Americans etc, spend larger amounts and stay longer, and were once the powerhouse of tourism in Thailand, sadly not anymore. They have been discouraged in so many ways over the last 20 years. And if you think about it a lot of the falang money goes directly into the hands of Thais in the lower income brackets, not the wealthy as does the Chinese money through five star hotels and big travel agencies. As in all countries, governments look after themselves, numerus unus prior.

I am very skeptical of a promotion campaign that specifically targets one population. It is skewed too much to be politically correct, as most other nation's tourist bureaus would see it (I will temper my words here).

always concerns me when i see ppl here spending 3 hours + typing things like that

This is a subject that is very dear to my heart. I have lived and worked in the Kingdom for 34 years. Since retiring I mainly live in the Buriram panhandle, Bangkok or Pattaya, sometimes Chumpon. I have an extended family that I look after, putting children thru school for 15 years now. I have a financial and emotional investment in Thailand. I have personally seen what the mainland Chinese tourist is doing. Many Thai are now reluctant that TAT is doing the right thing by them, or are just lining their own pockets.

I didn't take 3 hours to write my posting, that is an exaggeration. Maybe 30 minutes. The longest I have written on TV.

I don't know what is concerning you, I thought we were all given the opportunity to express our feelings, and beliefs, inside the TV rules, that is what I have done. Rather than criticize my posting with less than one line, may I ask if you could contribute, and give a logical view on how you see the issue, and how it affects your stake in Thailand.

Interesting thread. I just asked my Thai wife how she feels about the Chinese influx. Her first comment was that they contribute to the economy and she likes that; but then came the comments about them being disrespectful of the places they visit, trashing parks and tourist attractions, and the worst, defecating in a temple in Chiang Rai and throwing their butt-wipe tissue into an Buddhist offering plate (this must have been on Thai news...first I heard of it). But she acknowledged that this is probably the future of the Thai tourist economy. So there's a Thai perspective.

Personally I find them to be a bit of an odd curiousity. They just seem so....disconnected and unaware of what is around them. Which is why they probably don't bother me that much. It's like navigating an obsticle course where the 'obsticles' have no self-awareness, but I do, so I can work my way around them - sort of like walking through a grove of trees; the trees won't move, so I do, and I understand that the trees are unawared, so I feel no anger. Then when they stand in the middle of the street in a pack, sort of completely oblivious to traffic -- Maybe the Darwin Principle will kick in, and the genetic line of the one's who get run over by Thai traffic simply don't pass on their genes to the next generation. Over time, Chinese develop a genetic propesity to stay closer to the sidewalks in Chiang Mai. rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

You guys actually don't know how lucky we are. We are getting the UPPER class of PRC tourists in CM. Relatively trendy looking young couples on Nimmanhemin, etc. Good English, many want to know directions to Mango Tango.

The huge shopping groups that are descending on Japan by the busload are unbelievable. I had a short layover at NGO (Centrair) on Feb 3 and this young man interrupted a woman who was ringing me up at the convenience store shouting "I'm First" in broken Japanese. I think the Japanese are so polite they don't know how to deal with them. She put my stuff down and started helping him. I too was speechless.

Then I went to breakfast and this evil Harpy elbowed her way into a buffet line and already irritated without thinking I shouted "HEY"! Ended up with a soy stain on my uniform for the day. My favorite Yakitori restaurant banned them completely.

Honestly though what is up with the surging crowds at Boots and Peera? Are there no OTC drugs and supplements in China?

The Chinese don't trust OTC drugs in China because they are likely to fake. Same with children's formula. Food quality in China is also poor compared to Thailand.

• Like 2

Should have figured that out. I am aware of the baby food situation and limits on personal purchases and export from Hong Kong.

I was in China in 2006-2007 working in the Tianjin Research and Development quarter, when the baby formula (deliberate) contamination tragedy occurred. Just so many kids died from that. The local English language newspapers were scathing about the food and pharma industry. Look what happened with GSK being caught bribing doctors recently. No wonder the Chinese buy up big in BKK.

I myself always get some of my doctor's prescription meds in BKK. No papers required, and I always buy in either a hospital pharmacy or Boots. Boots can be trusted not to have counterfeits. The little back-ally phx's can't, I have been given counterfeit antibiotics, analgesics etc, over the years.

It's not just in Thailand that Chinese tourists have been misbehaving. According to an article in ABC News reports have been coming in from around the World, prompting the Chinese Government to issue a warning they will be sternly dealt with on their return to China. See....http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-18/chinas-obnoxious-boganaires-embarrassing-middle-kingdom/6143432

Edited by Toknarok
  • Like 1