udon thani expensive?

Datebayo

I have noticed that udon thani is not cheaper than bkk or cm. I thought isan is cheaper than the rest of thailand. Or is is because udon thank has the highest farang population in isan? And its not just in the city center that is expensive, even on the outskirts of the city. Can anyone explain?

Edited by ubonjoe
corrected spelling

Udon no cheaper than bangkok ??

Dude.. What you smoking ??

Dude.. I don't smoke. Are u here in udon? If yes, then u would know what I mean. Markets and supermarkets like tesco and big c has same prices as bkk. Foodstalls and food courts as well. Its 2015 February. Are we still talking same year?.. Dude.

I think you will find Tesco and Big C are the same price all over Thailand. The things that are probably cheaper are comparable hotel rooms and apartments, perhaps beers at local Thai bars, things like that. I have never been to Udon, but in my area of Isaan I can get a decent Thai meal at a nice restaurant, for under ฿100, and a large Beer Leo at the Karaoke Bar, for ฿80. Maybe the same price as Bangkok, I don't know. I think what makes Isaan cheaper, especially outside of the big cities, is the lack of things to spend money on, and housing.

Dude.. I don't smoke. Are u here in udon? If yes, then u would know what I mean. Markets and supermarkets like tesco and big c has same prices as bkk. Foodstalls and food courts as well. Its 2015 February. Are we still talking same year?.. Dude.

Dude, If you check any country, large supermarkets are the same price everywhere. You need to move your mind from your big city experience and start enjoying the local experience. Yes Udon is cheaper. If you cheaper yet just move east a bit more from Udon. It just gets cheaper. Just don't do your big city attitude.

I visited Udon Thani in September.I was there only A minute so Indidn't check the prices,But 5 years ago the price was a lot

Cheaper than Bangkok.I imagine it still is with many things.The population don't make as much as the average person in Bangkok does.So with that the case the stores have to sell it lower or the item won't get sold.

Maybe you just saw A few things that are the same.But all in all I would say it's 20-40% cheaper to live in Udon Thani than it is

In Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

Fantastic choice of cheap accommodation, food and drink in UT, Especially in Pricha, Centre Point, and Udi Town (e.g: good large pizza 119/139bt) night markets, also amazingly cheap but good Chinese Thai restaurant and a 75bt Thai Buffet opposite each other in Phosi Rd. Good English breakfast at 'Seaside' Soi Sampan: 95bt. Good luck to the people of Bangkok if they can find same same! Supermarkets and their food courts are, of course, the same everywhere. Avoid the chain restaurants especially the very popular but expensive Japanese buffets, which again are the same price nationally, the exception being Jeffers.

If you want my opinion Udorn is a boring town with no great attractions .

There today having taken the train up from Khon Kaen and for me the most exciting bit is the station!

Central Plaza in the town is empty with half the units boarded up and a sad shadow of KK down the tracks.

Yes it has a large Farang population but frankly I cannot see why.

Maybe I am missing something but passing the big empty Global store on the left as I left to headed south by road was the most exciting part of my trip to Udorn today.

Bangkok can have a similar cost of living as what Udon does, since there are a lot of reasonably priced apartments and food etc in Bangkok. But there's also so much temptation to buy the more expensive things, and so it can be a lot more expensive. Also Bangkok has a lot more traffic, so getting around can be more expensive, as it's not as easy to just "pop down the road", due to the traffic and lack of parking, which forces a lot of people to spend money using public transportation/taxis etc, instead of just driving themselves.

But in general, Udon is quite a big city, Bangkok is a massive city, and Udon is a little cheaper than Bangkok. If you went out to the towns or villages in Udon province, you'd find that the cost of living significantly decreases once you get out of the city. Since generally, the more urban an area, the more expensive it's going to be.

Last year I was in udon every few weeks.. Probably 10 times over a few months period for 3 - 5 days a trip.. You really expect national supermarket chains to have different prices in different store ?? Why doesnt 7/11 sell cigarettes cheaper in udon.. You really think that ??

Rent accomodation in bangkok then rent some in Udon.. Tell me its like for like.. Go eat at the Thai (or most farang) restaurant.. Look at the beer prices.. Look around UD plaza.. Look at hotel rooms.. Look at 90% of everything..

Sure go into the central mall and I bet an ipad costs the same as an ipad in bangkok.. But do you really think it would be different ??

Isaan in general is considerably cheaper than Bangkok. OK I concede that supermarket prices are similar, but tell me where in Bangkok can you get gents haircut for 40 baht?

Not my part of isaan, its 60 baht for a clip.w00t.gif and fuel price are about 50 satang per liter cheeper in Bangkok.

Edited by khwaibah

Isaan in general is considerably cheaper than Bangkok. OK I concede that supermarket prices are similar, but tell me where in Bangkok can you get gents haircut for 40 baht?

Not my part of isaan, its 60 baht for a clip.w00t.gif and fuel price are about 50 satang per liter cheeper in Bangkok.

My part of Isaan, ฿60, but that includes; cutting the ear and nostril hairs, a mustache trim, a shave, and an arm and neck massage.

In Patgtaya the lowest haircut price I have seen = 100 Baht.

So color this Cheap Charlie impressed.

Was the cut competent?

If you want my opinion Udorn is a boring town with no great attractions .

There today having taken the train up from Khon Kaen and for me the most exciting bit is the station!

Central Plaza in the town is empty with half the units boarded up and a sad shadow of KK down the tracks.

Yes it has a large Farang population but frankly I cannot see why.

Maybe I am missing something but passing the big empty Global store on the left as I left to headed south by road was the most exciting part of my trip to Udorn today.

Sorry but I need to be clear about which part of Udon is the MOST exciting for my next visit. Is it the railway station or passing Global?

Not that I care about shopping, if u only passed by, how do u know that Global was empty?

As for half the units being boarded up in Central, u must be hallucinating! I never like shopping malls but when I go there it is usually thriving....And I was last there in January.

My part of Isaan, ฿60, but that includes; cutting the ear and nostril hairs, a mustache trim, a shave, and an arm and neck massage.

Happy Endingwhistling.gif

Happy Endingwhistling.gif

Not that type of massage.

I have not found udon cheaper than the rest of Thailand. so what

So the statement that the northeast Thailand is so much cheaper is invalid as of 2015 and must be brought to the history books.

Edited by Datebayo

I just sat in a dentist chair at an Isaan district hospital for two hours having work done. ฿770, don't know if you could get the same work done in Bangkok, at a government hospital, but some how doubt it. I had the piece of glass fall out of my side view mirror, took it to an auto place in the district town, they replaced a couple of screws, popped the glass back in and straightened out a bent bumper for ฿100, doubt if you could get it done for that price in Bangkok.

Edited by Issangeorge

getting more expensive in town, maybe 5 or 10 baht more for buying " local" things out of town eg the barber is 50 baht now, a increase of 10 baht in the 9 years i have been married.

riding your bike through endless backroads = priceless

almost no english sub titles at the movies = annoying

i love bkk, exciting, heaps to do, but give me home amongst the rice fields, with a snake or two or some pla too

not a perm farang yet, its getting close

• 3 weeks later...

Great topic.. For me.. So what about rent? For example a 45+ one bedroom condo.. How much would that cost.. Or a two bedroom house just outside the city? Chiang Mai is too crazy for me.. I am looking at towns in Isaan that are more relaxed yet still have culture, coffee shops and some farang.

getting more expensive in town, maybe 5 or 10 baht more for buying " local" things out of town eg the barber is 50 baht now, a increase of 10 baht in the 9 years i have been married.

riding your bike through endless backroads = priceless

almost no english sub titles at the movies = annoying

i love bkk, exciting, heaps to do, but give me home amongst the rice fields, with a snake or two or some pla too

not a perm farang yet, its getting close

If you look at the movie boards on the ground floor and at the cinema you will find "soundtrack" next to some movies. This indicates the movie is in English.

I understand many of the movies do not have English subs which is annoying.

dation

wai2.gif

I think you will find Tesco and Big C are the same price all over Thailand. The things that are probably cheaper are comparable hotel rooms and apartments, perhaps beers at local Thai bars, things like that. I have never been to Udon, but in my area of Isaan I can get a decent Thai meal at a nice restaurant, for under ฿100, and a large Beer Leo at the Karaoke Bar, for ฿80. Maybe the same price as Bangkok, I don't know. I think what makes Isaan cheaper, especially outside of the big cities, is the lack of things to spend money on, and housing.

I Have never been to Udon,, really ??

Maybe you should be a poster, on either of the the two senile, Udon forums, both forums have so many ill informed posters. kap.wai2.gif

Yes , Udon has become pang , I do not refer to Big C , Tesco etc ,, whose prices are the same , every where in LOS.

Regarding places to stay , Udon , is saturated with empty apartments , Hotels , etc

Condo constructions are being cancelled in Udon at a pace . The writing is on the wall , the bubble will burst soon , two years .

If one is looking for a sweet lady, maybe for a wife ?. Udon has a vast choice, of ex. Pattaya these ,err ladies , tend to be multi lingual.

Ideal for the stupid/ sincere foreigner , who chooses, to bag a lady from the jungle, in poor Issan .

Good luck , kap,wai2.gif

P.S . in soi sampan last night , a small Leo 70 bht .

Edited by elliss

• 2 weeks later...

dation

wai2.gif

I Have never been to Udon,, really ??

Maybe you should be a poster, on either of the the two senile, Udon forums, both forums have so many ill informed posters. kap.wai2.gif

Yes , Udon has become pang , I do not refer to Big C , Tesco etc ,, whose prices are the same , every where in LOS.

Regarding places to stay , Udon , is saturated with empty apartments , Hotels , etc

Condo constructions are being cancelled in Udon at a pace . The writing is on the wall , the bubble will burst soon , two years .

If one is looking for a sweet lady, maybe for a wife ?. Udon has a vast choice, of ex. Pattaya these ,err ladies , tend to be multi lingual.

Ideal for the stupid/ sincere foreigner , who chooses, to bag a lady from the jungle, in poor Issan .

Good luck , kap,wai2.gif

P.S . in soi sampan last night , a small Leo 70 bht .

I spend a lot of time in Udon, I have a house 30k out side.

But the daytime entertainment is just about zero.

There is a little at night, Nutty park, Day & Night Plaza.

But after a few weeks I long to get back to my home at Pattaya.

I'm not night time person, I like afternoons in a closed in bar with aircon & some fun entertainment.

I have had a house up here for more than 26 years so i'm not a newbe to Udon.

Edited by edd