Bomb defused from a hijacked tanker found to be a dud

Lite Beer

Bomb defused from a hijacked tanker found to be a dud

2-16-2015-8-06-15-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Thai Navy’s bomb demolition squad has successfully defused a bomb planted on the bridge of a hijacked Thai oil tanker but the bomb was found to be a dud minus the explosives.

The tanker, Lapin Bangkok, was reported by its captain to have been hijacked by a group of pirates thought to be Indonesia as it was cruising in the Malaysian waters on the night of February 13.

The pirates, said to be armed with guns and knives, managed to offload the tanker’s 2,000 tonnes of bunker oil and another five tonnes of disel into their own smaller tankers.

But before they fled the scene in speed boats, the pirates planted what was suspected to be a bomb on the bridge of Lapin Bangkok. However, a bomb demolition squad from the Songkhla-based Second Fleet which was rushed to the hijacked vessel at the distress call of the captain on Sunday night was unable to defuse the bomb because of darkness which made the task more risky and difficult.

The squad waited until Monday and managed to defuse the bomb which was found to be a dud as there was no explosive inside.

Police in Satun province have interrogated the captain and its nine crews.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bomb-defused-hijacked-tanker-found-dud

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-16

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Even if it was late at night, the bomb detector couldn't iddentify the fact it was a dud? Had to wait till the morning light to realize they were being played??

Why would they need a 'bomb detector' when they knew where the suspected device was?

Even though they apparently couldn't see it because it was dark.......................rolleyes.gif

I know this is Thailand, but merchant marine ships in international waters are supposed to have a gps locater, and captains key it to a one button SOS activator.

Thai helicopters should have been there long before they could have pumped all that crude oil.

I think this hijacking looks suspicious.

• Like 1

I know this is Thailand, but merchant marine ships in international waters are supposed to have a gps locater, and captains key it to a one button SOS activator.

Thai helicopters should have been there long before they could have pumped all that crude oil.

I think this hijacking looks suspicious.

I agree it is highly suspicious! Radio communication difficulties before "hi-jacking" took place - how convenient whistling.gif

What a joke about bomb inspection! Give more time for pirates to get away further from scene of alleged "crime".

unable to defuse the bomb because of darkness which made the task more risky and difficult.

They haven't heard about flash lights yet?

why would you want to photograph it?

Trying to be clever ?? grow up mate..you are just being a wan*er

Sometimes i think these stories have inserted within them poor translations or made up content.

The way this is written it makes it sound like "We could not work on this in the dark." That comes off as pretty stupid.

The reality is, it is wise to wait if possible to work on explosives when ... in the event or an exposion ... the firefighting, evacuations, possible oil spills, etc ... can be managed in the light of day.

It is not "We can not turn a wrench in the dark" ... it is pragmatic thinking of "We do not want to manage a ship on fire with causalities in the dead of night."

These are stange times when you can of load this way, and actually get away with it. This caper required a lot of planing and logistics, up to and including get away tankers ... wow.

Even if it was late at night, the bomb detector couldn't iddentify the fact it was a dud? Had to wait till the morning light to realize they were being played??

I think it's just enough time for the "pirates" to escape these waters or unload their score...

unable to defuse the bomb because of darkness which made the task more risky and difficult.

They haven't heard about flash lights yet?

why would you want to photograph it?

Trying to be clever ?? grow up mate..you are just being a wan*er

maybe so, but flashlight?.