First lot of Pongpat's ill-gained goods put up for auction

webfact

First lot of Pongpat's ill-gained goods put up for auction
The Nation

30254235-01_big.jpg?1424131116385
An oil painting worth Bt50 million is among the first lot of about 2,000 items, seized from former crime-buster Pol Lt-General Pongpat Chayaphan and his corrupt officers, which will be sold at two auctions next month, the secretary-general of the Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO) said yesterday.

Seehanart Prayoonrat said the auctions would take place at a military barracks north of Bangkok.

BANGKOK: -- The first auction will be held from March 5 to 8, after a preview session from March 2 to 3 when bidders will be allowed to see the items, and the second auction is scheduled for March 23 to 26, after a preview from March 20 to 21.

The items are the ill-gotten gains of Pongpat, the former commissioner of the Central Investigation Bureau, and other corrupt police who bought, acquired or received them in bribes as part of their nefarious activities, Seehanart said.

More than 20,000 items are sitting in temporary police storage awaiting future auctions.

Seehanart did not give a total estimate of the value of Pongpat's booty, which consist of decorative pieces, genuine artefacts and imitations, tableware and items of furniture. Media reports have suggested that one of the items is a much-sought-after 109-year-old oil painting worth around Bt50 million.

Bidders who acquire items at starting prices under Bt50,000 must pay in cash. For items with a starting price of over Bt50,000, bidders must pay a 10-per cent deposit during the preview, 25 per cent on the day of the auction, and the rest within 15 days of the auction.

All proceeds from the auctions will be handed to the Finance Ministry, and the rightful owners of assets can claim the money plus interest if they have proof of original ownership.

Another batch of 1,000 pieces is not available for auction as they are protected by special laws and must be kept permanently in state custody at various agencies. The items selected for the initial auctions are those that might depreciate while future auctions will feature items that won't depreciate.

The items were seized from the homes of Pongpat and his officers after they were arrested and removed from high-ranking positions in a major takedown. The officers are serving part of their prison terms while awaiting trials on many other cases involving crimes related to Pongpat's racketeering.

AMLO also seized another 152 items worth around Bt350 million belonging to Pongpat and 14 other people.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/First-lot-of-Pongpats-ill-gained-goods-put-up-for--30254235.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-17

"Bidders who acquire items at starting prices under Bt50,000 must pay in cash. For items with a starting price of over Bt50,000, bidders must pay a 10-per cent deposit during the preview, 25 per cent on the day of the auction, and the rest within 15 days of the auction."
How on earth does this type of "Thai Auction" work?

• Like 2

Weren't the sculptures that were recently returned to Cambodian museums from this collection identified as fakes?

If the artwork put up for sale at this auction is also of questionable provenance, then the whole thing will descend into farce.

The blind leading the blind, and the corrupt ripping-off the corrupt.

• Like 1

All proceeds from the auctions will be handed to the Finance Ministry, and the rightful owners of assets can claim the money plus interest if they have proof of original ownership.

why not let the "rightful owners" the right to get back the original items upon showing proof of the original ownership?

• Like 1

Over the years i attended many auctions in the UK.

Purchased many items, paid in full after sale. Never ever asked to pay a percentage before the sale.

Please can somebody explain this nonsense to me, because i am at a loss.

I think things are being done this way to assist people in the know get an advantage!!

Also i allows thought you were innocent until proven guilty, or i am missing something.sad.png

Another batch of 1,000 pieces is not available for auction as they are protected by special laws and must be kept permanently in state custody at various agencies. The items selected for the initial auctions are those that might depreciate while future auctions will feature items that won't depreciate.

See you further first giggle.gif

Hmmmm ... Many things spring to mind, but the first two are -

1: I thought that Pongpat and his crew were yet to face trial on the corruption elements of the charges, so they're not yet 'Guilty', so why are their 'assets' being auctioned before the trial and verdict?

2: Why do I feel that 20,000 new crime opportunities have just been created?

Its like America search and seizure. It then costs you thousands to prove that your not guilty most just walk away as its almost impossible to fight the government. Its a cash cow. It also keeps the grunts in cars, armored trucks, better guns and the odd party. Its a win loose situation.

"The first item is a genuine Cambodian artifact valued at 50,000,000 baht. Starting price is 50,000 baht. Do I hear 50,000? Yes, 50,000 from the man with the 4 gold stars on the shoulders. Do I hear more? No? 50,000 once, twice, sold to the man with stars!"

Should be a Dutch or silent auction.

"All proceeds from the auctions will be handed to the Finance Ministry, and the rightful owners of assets can claim the money plus interest if they have proof of original ownership."

Wouldn't it be better to make a real effort to find the owners before selling their property?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Has he even been found guilty yet?

What happens if he is found not guilty?

Ha, ha, ha, good one.

Very droll.

Wouldn't that be the day. All the ill required and stolen goods and money will be returned to him after which he will be investigated again.

Won't happen.

Has he even been found guilty yet?

What happens if he is found not guilty?

Today, Pol.Lt.Gen. Pongpat was sentenced to 20 years for violating the Anti-Money Laundering Act. The jail term was reduced to 10 years because of his confession. His ex-deputy Pol.Lt.Gen. Kowit and four other defendants were sentenced to five years, and the sixth, a former chief of the Marine Police Division, was sentenced to one year and six months.