Thailand's Obec drops opposition to condom vending machines

webfact

Obec drops opposition to condom vending machines
The Natonn

BANGKOK: -- The Office of Basic Education Commission (Obec) has finally dropped its opposition to plans to install condom-vending machines in secondary schools, but a senior official said it would not encourage such machines being installed in schools under its jurisdiction.

"We won't argue if the machines are installed in schools where relevant parties and local communities believe they are needed," Obec secretary-general Kamol Rodklai said yesterday.

Earlier, Kamol voiced firm opposition against plan, saying condom-vending machines had no place in schools.

The Public Health Ministry, however, insisted that giving young people easy access to condoms would lower the risk of sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancies.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Obec-drops-opposition-to-condom-vending-machines-30254240.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-17

• Like 1

That Mr Kamol should be, at least, 'sent to an inactive post', till kingdom comes, or, better 'retired early'!

Thailand is full of 'chiefs' of his kind, having such a great idea of themselves they imagine every wind coming out of their mouth, no matter how brainless, biased or extreme, should be considered as 'gospel'! Keeping in mind many (most?) of those officials have reached the position they occupy by corrupt or nepotistic means, ...and that they are anyways a perfect example of the Peters principle, having long surpassed their level of incapacity.

This also is a problem which should be addressed in the 'changes and reforms', but seems even more remote than re-building a real police force from scratch, ...or going after corruption in the military forces, by the way!

• Like 2

Actually sex education has no place in school.

Ok your message is clear, but I am not able to construct any reasons as to why this would be so. Now I know I havent experienced everything in the universe ever, so do me a favour and fill me in on why sex wouldn't be a subject to address in school?

As really from what I have been reading it would seem that the audience for such lessons is currently attending school and statistics show they are active sexually. And clearly they haven't been getting the information they need or the values likely to help them enjoy their young lives without entering the adult world of having kids.

Isn't it then say important in the development of adolescent attitudes towards sex to get them the right information, on pregnancy, contraception, rights, wrongs and wierdos :)

Or just leave it up to hersay and spotty parenting and we'll just do it thai style and ignore it until it requires serious mental gymnastics

• Like 1

Actually sex education has no place in school.

Ok your message is clear, but I am not able to construct any reasons as to why this would be so. Now I know I havent experienced everything in the universe ever, so do me a favour and fill me in on why sex wouldn't be a subject to address in school?

As really from what I have been reading it would seem that the audience for such lessons is currently attending school and statistics show they are active sexually. And clearly they haven't been getting the information they need or the values likely to help them enjoy their young lives without entering the adult world of having kids.

Isn't it then say important in the development of adolescent attitudes towards sex to get them the right information, on pregnancy, contraception, rights, wrongs and wierdos :)

Or just leave it up to hersay and spotty parenting and we'll just do it thai style and ignore it until it requires serious mental gymnastics

Yes, such education can be taught by the doctors at the abortion clinic or who prescribe HIV treatment drugs.

• Like 1

Yes, I agree that sex should be explained to students as part of their education programme. But the reality is that all parents should ultimately be responsible for that education. I am the proud father of two lovely boys and I started to educate them about the joys and responsibilities of sexual relationships at a very young age. They have grown into two very responsible young men , one married and now 34yrs old, and the other 28yrs old and living with his partner of 10 yrs. And thank God still no grandchildren .. maybe something I taught them from that young age ...maybe that frightened them off .. what do you think.. w00t.gif

Yes, I agree that sex should be explained to students as part of their education programme. But the reality is that all parents should ultimately be responsible for that education. I am the proud father of two lovely boys and I started to educate them about the joys and responsibilities of sexual relationships at a very young age. They have grown into two very responsible young men , one married and now 34yrs old, and the other 28yrs old and living with his partner of 10 yrs. And thank God still no grandchildren .. maybe something I taught them from that young age ...maybe that frightened them off .. what do you think.. w00t.gif

Perhaps your sons are gay and only married women to please you.

Charming

Perhaps your sons are gay and only married women to please you.

"Actually sex education has no place in school."

Well where should sex education be conducted........at the maternity ward or after they contract an STD. Secondary school is probably the most appropriate place for such education. Thailand has one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in SEA which means that they are having SEX so why not try to make it safe & responsible too. Don't just bury your head in the sand & say it's not happening!!!

"I am actually against the installation of condom- vending machines in schools.

I am -on the other hand- for sex ed in schools.

Without it, condoms are worth pretty much nothing."

Agreed, but if you are 15 or 16 buying condoms at 7 Eleven would be an uncomfortable experience & also you would be seen clearly as underage. Having them available at school they could purchase them more discretely.

I am actually against the installation of condom- vending machines in schools.

I am -on the other hand- for sex ed in schools.

Without it, condoms are worth pretty much nothing.

Hmmm sex education without condoms....shall we just talk about the birds and the bees? Please...we are in the 21st century

Vending machines???/

They should be provided for free.

And discreetly.

The money saved in avoided pregnancies and HIV infections would more than cover the cost.

Not to even mentioned the ruined lives that could be avoided.

The Pope never comes to Thailand ( less than .2% christians here..note the decimal point)

Thank god! 555

Get real!

'The Public Health Ministry, however, insisted that giving young people easy access to condoms would lower the risk of sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancies.' While substantially that of promiscuity and underage experimentation, and pushing children towards adulthood far earlier than should be the case. Noticeably, educating them doesn't enter the equation.