Used vehicle register under Frang name?

sitta

No problem - you need frang residence certificate. you get frang residence certificate from frang immigration office in Udon Thani. Cost - not in excess of 500 Baht for frangs.

Also required, frang passport and copies to be sure.

To buy a car in your name is easy. BUT some dealers will probably tell you that you can't. Sometimes they don't know that a foreigner can buy and sometimes they want you to give the car to your lady.

This is what you need.

1. Non Immigrant Visa.

2. Letter of residence from the local immigration office, your ambassy or the local police station. Ask at DLT what

they prefer.

3. Pay cash.

It happens, because your local DLT doesn't know, that you don't need a Non Immigrant Visa.

Edited by Norlund

To buy a car in your name is easy. BUT some dealers will probably tell you that you can't. Sometimes they don't know that a foreigner can buy and sometimes they want you to give the car to your lady.

This is what you need.

1. Non Immigrant Visa.

2. Letter of residence from the local immigration office, your ambassy or the local police station. Ask at DLT what

they prefer.

3. Pay cash.

It happens, because your local DLT doesn't know, that you don't need a Non Immigrant Visa.

"...sometimes they want you to give the car to your lady. "

Amazing the things the Farang Fantasy Factory is producing these days.

There seems to be a common misconception among the expat community that the dealers control registration, therefore you get statements like "The dealer won't sell to farangs"

Not true, the dealer will sell to anyone, what they might not do is handle the registration for you

So if you encounter a dealer who won't sell to you just inform them that you will register it yourself then I am sure they will be more than willing to take your money

• Like 1

i went myself few years ago in a 'remote' zone in Thailand to a motorbike dealer and he asked me only if my visa was not expired yet (and not which one i had) an for a "sinyaa baan"/rent house contract in my name,

few years before, in PKT, same situation, but they want to show them my WP.

Maybe it depend from area to area tongue.png

have a nice day wai2.gif

This is what you need.

1. Non Immigrant Visa.

they prefer.

3. Pay cash.

+1

I have only ever owned used cars, current one is my third in Thailand, all registered in my name with no problem at all.

Did the registration myself for the first 2 (as bought directly from owner), for the third an agent used by the dealer did it.

Non-Immigrant visa is not required.. visa exempt is also accepted with a residence certificate.

Kurt

Concur. Purchased my first truck on just a 30 day visa exempt and certificate of residence from Chiang Mai which is only need to register the vehicle at DLT NOT to buy it.

Non-Immigrant visa is not required.. visa exempt is also accepted with a residence certificate.

Kurt

Not quite true. As I said before. It happens they don't ask for a Non Immigrant Visa. But it's NOT because you don't need (law). It's because they don't know or they don't care.

To be on the safe side my advice is to have a Non Immigrant Visa.

This two links will give further information.

http://thailand.angloinfo.com/transport/vehicle-ownership/buying-selling-cars/

http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-thailand-car-purchase

Edited by Norlund

Both my truck and car are in my wife's name, which is my last name, but I put my bike that I bought new with cash in my name. They said they couldn't do it. I said yes they could and if they didn't I'd go somewhere that would. They did it.

I have experienced this many times when I have bought a car or a motorbike. They say that a foreigner can't have in his name. My advice is to go to the shop WITHOUT the lady. Because this makes it much easier. Too often it's "Thai together" against the foreigner. The salesman feels he is "obligated" to help your lady everyway he can. And that means the car in her name. Often the lady is playing along and says she doesn't understand or she doesn't know.

When I buy a car/motorbike now I ALLWAYS go alone. And if there are some problems I just give them the blue book for my old car. Then they suddenly say they know that foreigner can buy a car in his name, but it's to much paperwork. It's the same paperwork as it is for a Thai, but with different papers.

Thanks Guys,

Is it easy to get certificate of residence from Udon immigration?

Do I need to put my name in the house blue book where I stay?

The blue book is not for us (Thai only). My advice is to go to your local DLT and ask them what kind of papers you need. If you are lucky they axept a letter of residence from the local polis station.