Car insurance in Thailand

Guest siamjourney

Guest siamjourney

When you renew your car registration each year you need to buy inexpensive basic insurance. Does anyone know what this covers or doesn't cover? I assume it doesn't cover that much.

K-Bank and BKK Bank sell additional insurance but the information is written in Thai. I would like to get some additional insurance but I'm not sure how much it should cost or what is a reasonable plan.

Any thoughts from anyone on this are greatly appreciated.

The basic insurance, called government compulsory insurance, does not cover any mechanical damage (either side). Only limited hospital insurance for the vehicle occupants in your car. Best get additional insurance, especially the 200K bail cover, will save you spending time in the police cell after any serious accident.

• Like 1

I believe one of the biggest payoffs of this P.R.B or Pa Ra Ba is it pays a fairly large sum to any beneficiary if the driver is killed. This is where it is super important in Thailand that if you say you are married then you really need to be married officially at the Ampere or as the wife or husband of a deceased person you will not be the beneficiary of the pay off. It could go to the ex-husband or ex-wife if they WERE married and never divorced.

Im not doubting the accuracy of onthedarkside's comment at all. But years ago an insurance broker told me that the bail bond included in private insurance is for the car, not the driver. Apparently if there is a dispute following an accident the police impound both vehicles until the issue of blame is resolved. My understanding of the bail bond in the insurance was that it prevented the need for a car to be impounded.

I may well be wrong though, the information from the broker was a long time ago.

I suggest you talk to Peter Smith of A A insurance one of Thai Visa sponsors.

Don't agree with your AA Insurance recommendation. Always found them to be expensive and very slow to respond to emails, if at all. bah.gif

Edited by merlin2002

Apologies if we missed an email from you Merlin as we try and respond to all emails within 24hrs - but please feel free to call if you need something urgent : 081 782 2196

For the Compulsory (Government) insurance the benefits have been increased (a little) see below, but the voluntary 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Class cover is always recommended and yes, all 3 do include a Bail Bond (min. needed 200k Baht).

Preliminary is initial amount paid without any proof of fault (claim within 7 days of the accident)

Medical service expenses

not more than 30,000 Baht

Loss of Life
Loss of organs
Permanent disability

35,000 Baht for person

Maximum coverage
(including preliminary coverage)

Bodily injury

Not more than 65,000 Baht

Loss of Life
Permanent disability

200,000 Baht

Medical Service Compensation

200 Baht per day but not more than 20 days

The highlighted amounts are the benefits that were increased.

i cant see the point in knowing what the basic government vehicle insurance covers; the problem is that even the top up, I have comprehensive on a 3 litre turbo truck, which costs under 20,000 baht also is insufficient.

I think my cover is 500,000 baht per person subject to this and that. I asked my broker how i can cover myself against a lawsuit with a rich foreign 3rd party and was told I cannot. It seems having an accident with anyone wealthy could lead to personal liability leading to insolvency and poverty...

Apologies if we missed an email from you Merlin as we try and respond to all emails within 24hrs - but please feel free to call if you need something urgent : 081 782 2196

For the Compulsory (Government) insurance the benefits have been increased (a little) see below, but the voluntary 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Class cover is always recommended and yes, all 3 do include a Bail Bond (min. needed 200k Baht).

Preliminary is initial amount paid without any proof of fault (claim within 7 days of the accident)

Medical service expenses

not more than 30,000 Baht

Loss of Life

Loss of organs

Permanent disability

35,000 Baht for person

Maximum coverage

(including preliminary coverage)

Bodily injury

Not more than 65,000 Baht

Loss of Life

Permanent disability

200,000 Baht

Medical Service Compensation

200 Baht per day but not more than 20 days

The highlighted amounts are the benefits that were increased.

Why is it that I can never understand these lists?

"Loss of Life" appears twice , Im obviously missing something

The basic insurance, called government compulsory insurance, does not cover any mechanical damage (either side). Only limited hospital insurance for the vehicle occupants in your car. Best get additional insurance, especially the 200K bail cover, will save you spending time in the police cell after any serious accident.

Is it really correct, that it not cover damage to the other persons car/motorbike?.

I have an old car and only the compulsory insurance. It's no problem with damage to my car; but for sure, if I have to pay for damage to other car. Assuming it's my fault; which is very unlikely!, but possible.

-siamjourney-

A so called 1st class insurance for a 800.000.- Baht car = about 30.000.- Baht, so a 400.000.- Baht car about 15.000.- Baht p. year = full comprehensive insurance.

What is included, sure more than with your basic plan, look at an insurer, look in the net.

Is it really correct, that it not cover damage to the other persons car/motorbike?.

I have an old car and only the compulsory insurance. It's no problem with damage to my car; but for sure, if I have to pay for damage to other car. Assuming it's my fault; which is very unlikely!, but possible.

Well, look at the AAInsuranceBroker's list. I see nothing about damage to vehicles. Only people damage.

Well, look at the AAInsuranceBroker's list. I see nothing about damage to vehicles. Only people damage.

I like to say "Thank You" for the "Wake Up Call".

I have today made an Insurance that, most importantly, covers damage to 3. persons car/property up to 1 million.

The price was only 5,200 Baht.