Dress respectfully if attending the Phuket Immigration Office

I personally have no desire to see those muscle shirts or wife-beater T-shirts that some people wear that show people's armpits. But I would think a decent pair of shorts and a polo shirt with a collar should be allowed. Gosh it is the tropics and it is hot and humid on Phuket.

I guesss its the same climate for the officer and the tourist !

So please look how the officers are dressed !!

The article quoted no 'short' shorts... no vests...

Some are taking a simple request for appropriate behaviour a little far in their attempt to ridicle or disagree.

I'm sure knee lengths and a polo shirt are fine.... The article suggests dressing in a respectful nature, it doesn't indicate that immigration are demanding we turn up in suits.

Ok. The dress code has nothing to do with normal people its the idiots the signs are for. Signs been up for a while now its nothing new. Come in for business in normal street clothes there is NO problem. T shirt shorts flip flops its ok. The dress code is for people who think its appropriate to wear bikinis and no shirts. During my visit last last month, I watched the volunteer tell a woman in a bikini and a guy who came in with no shoes and no shirt to leave. It was great.

No conspiracy here, just good old common sense.

"No shirt, no shoes, no service". I am fine with that. I would think people visiting a country would want to make a reasonable impression on the government officials. I live in Florida. I see nothing wrong with a decent looking pair of shirts, a polo type shirt with a collar, and a pari of topsiders or some sort of sport or boat shoe. Flip flops don't impress

• Like 1

They don't really deserve any more respect than anyone else as far as I'm concerned. The fact that they use their "power" to "demand" more than usual amount of respect is telling of their weak and cowardly natures. Pathetic ... the lot of them.

You are quite right... They don't deserve any 'more' respect than anyone else, However, they as with anyone else deserve respect until proven otherwise...... people ought to be more aware and respectful of their surroundings and accommodate the social norms as observed by others...

This means dressing appropriately in any situation, shops, restaurants, flights, offices, etc.....

I'm not saying we should be characterless robots, I'm saying we should make efforts not to look like slobs.

In this case I feel immigration have got it right.

Just like immigration have got it right making people report every 90 days. Having to show proof of this and that, list goes on.

Apples - Oranges.... The two issues are completely different....I'm not an immigration apologist, the 90 day rule is daft...

"In this case"... It seems immigration have got it right... In other cases their policies are daft, but that doesn't bias my opinion of this suggestion to dress appropriately.

Ok. The dress code has nothing to do with normal people its the idiots the signs are for. Signs been up for a while now its nothing new. Come in for business in normal street clothes there is NO problem. T shirt shorts flip flops its ok. The dress code is for people who think its appropriate to wear bikinis and no shirts. During my visit last last month, I watched the volunteer tell a woman in a bikini and a guy who came in with no shoes and no shirt to leave. It was great.

"No shirt, no shoes, no service". I am fine with that. I would think people visiting a country would want to make a reasonable impression on the government officials. I live in Florida. I see nothing wrong with a decent looking pair of shirts, a polo type shirt with a collar, and a pari of topsiders or some sort of sport or boat shoe. Flip flops don't impress

Flip flops are the main shoes in Thailand.

This is a case of "much to do about nothing."

Sans not wearing a shirt or a bikini, nobody in immigration cares what people wear to this office. There is nobody to impress there. Its more like a cattle auction than anything

I personally have no desire to see those muscle shirts or wife-beater T-shirts that some people wear that show people's armpits. But I would think a decent pair of shorts and a polo shirt with a collar should be allowed. Gosh it is the tropics and it is hot and humid on Phuket.

Not shorts, they are revolting looking on a grown man. You would not wear shorts to a job interview, so why to an Immigration office?
Yes, because it's the same isn't, obviously.

So, if interview dresscode it has to be, we have to wear suit, tie, etc.

Sorry, IMHO it is ridiculous

The last time I was in Phuket Immi the Thai staff were wearing polo shirts (supplied) and many in trakky daks and flip flops/sandals.

The new Colonel is batsh*t crazy and the office runs at less than 50% of the efficiency of recent years. The "dress code" is nothing new.

Edited by Evilbaz

flip flops are high fashion for your common foreign alcoholic -sex tourist.

\\\\Dress respectfully\\\

..and don't forget to bow down and kiss the hand of the officer,,bah.gif

Ah, the almighty foreigner speaks. Why shouldn't their clients dress appropriately and show respect. What would you say if they dressed like slobs when serving you? I can just imagine. How much effort does it take to show a little pride in the way one presents oneself?

The way someone dresses when conducting business highlights their attitude toward others that they are dealing with, or weren't you taught how to show regard for the feelings, wishes, or rights of others. But then, if one does not have respect for oneself, then how would one know how to be respectful toward others. Think about it?

Is that after they've finished on their phones on Facebook or candy crush.

please dont blame always officers,

been last time CW - 4 hrs for reentry permit,

I could not see any officer there chatting or bla bla,

they worked continously very hard !!

Same in the local gvt of Chock chai district,

we were 6 hrs there,

but everyone were working more than correctly , ( at least 10 officers which i had in my view !!

Thanks to all this officers to do the correct work;

Ah, the almighty foreigner speaks. Why shouldn't their clients dress appropriately and show respect. What would you say if they dressed like slobs when serving you? I can just imagine. How much effort does it take to show a little pride in the way one presents oneself?

The way someone dresses when conducting business highlights their attitude toward others that they are dealing with, or weren't you taught how to show regard for the feelings, wishes, or rights of others. But then, if one does not have respect for oneself, then how would one know how to be respectful toward others. Think about it?

Never experienced any of this at Udon Thani. Five staff on computers re visas, one officer for 90 days and this is now computerised, no filling out forms and one officer at entrance for inquiries. The longest I ever spent at immigration for 90 days reporting was five minutes or when obtaining an extension of stay, 1.5 hours.. Why is it that so many TVF posters allege they have experienced 4 or 6 hours wait or even have to return the next day.

Not saying it hasn't happened, just saying I have never experienced this in the ten years that I have had to seek my extension of stay. On one occasion, I did not bring enough photos so the officer used his camera, took the required number and no charge was applied.

In an office the only thing that has to impress is the printer.

I wish they'd extend the vest ban to all public places.

I agree as when I came up behind a Bhat bus recently a ferang jumped on board wearing the smallest of swim wear and nothing else and leaving nothing to the imagination if you see what I mean. Not in this case admittedly but don't you find it is the big fat bellied who want to display themselves ( not a pretty sight )

Never experienced any of this at Udon Thani. Five staff on computers re visas, one officer for 90 days and this is now computerised, no filling out forms and one officer at entrance for inquiries. The longest I ever spent at immigration for 90 days reporting was five minutes or when obtaining an extension of stay, 1.5 hours.. Why is it that so many TVF posters allege they have experienced 4 or 6 hours wait or even have to return the next day.

Not saying it hasn't happened, just saying I have never experienced this in the ten years that I have had to seek my extension of stay. On one occasion, I did not bring enough photos so the officer used his camera, took the required number and no charge was applied.

You surprise me re the free photo, in Pattaya immigration they required 2 copies of one of my documents and despite there being a printer/copier behind the person serving me I was sent outside to get the copies I needed, all of BT 10

Mathias67

It surprised me also, especially the no charge but, to date, I have never experienced any of the problems other posters say they have. Hope this doesn't change, as I have to apply for an extension of stay on the 27th of this month. Have everything prepared already but will wait until that date to update my passbook and obtain the Bank letter.

As with all governments, government's offices and law-enforcement officers..........wherever in the World: 50% is frustrated and thinking on how to make people's lives as miserable as possible and the other 50% is enforcing the weird ideas of the first 50%.

We think that those kind of actions is strictly against foreigners (d_amn.....immigration is for foreigners)........anyway.......also Thai suffer under the regime of locally made up rules and regulations.

Well that number is in the ball park. Thailand has the highest number of foreign alcoholics in the world. be proud of it.

Several million pairs of flip flops sold in Thailand every year. That's an awful lot of common foreign alcoholic sex tourists!

Sadly you sound like another foreigner that does,nt get it. If its so bad why stay here ? Booze is likely cheaper in your homeland.

About time.

When they cease with the corruption and sheer incompetence I promise to buy a suit and tie for the sole purpose of wearing it when I extend my tourist visa a couple of times per year. Until then I honestly think a dirty Chang tank top and flip flops are equally as smart and professional as the immigration process in Thailand.

Several million pairs of flip flops sold in Thailand every year. That's an awful lot of common foreign alcoholic sex tourists!

Strange. In my experience I see more flip-flops being worn by Thais.

That would suggest that there are more common alcoholic Thais than there are common foreign alcoholic sex tourists.

I guess we knew that already.

• Like 1

Any views on heavily tattooed bits of body? Disgusting, especially on a female.

Sorry to learn these are so disturbing to you, certainly they did not bother officers at the immigration that I've visited today.