Tiger Temple back in business after reversal by Thai wildlife officials

webfact

Tiger Temple back in business after reversal by wildlife officials
By Coconuts Bangkok

tigertemple2.jpg
Photo: Xiquinho Silva

BANGKOK: -- In a complete about-face from earlier this month, wildlife officials have said everything is wonderful at the Tiger Temple in Kanchanaburi.

Less than two weeks after raiding the infamous temple and seizing many of its animals, inspectors said they “found nothing unusual,” according to a Bangkok Post report.

Inspectors seemed to have concluded that because there were almost 50 more tigers than the last time the visited, they must not be trafficking the animals. They have also been reportedly “impressed” by conditions said to be “even better than those at some state zoos.”

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/02/18/tiger-temple-back-business-after-reversal-wildlife-officials

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-02-18

"Inspectors seemed to have concluded that because there were almost 50 more tigers than the last time the visited, they must not be trafficking the animals."

Oh...that makes everything alright, of course! coffee1.gif

• Like 2

So, bank transfers completed successfully, then. Oh wait, no, bank transactions can be traced. So big fat brown envelopes distributed it is.

Really gotta love Thailand. The Land of no Morals or Ethics. No wonder the Russians like it here.

• Like 1

I fail to see how stating they are in better conditions than some zoos in any way mitigates the operations of the temple.

it is in fact obfuscation - they are completely avoiding the issues for which the temple has been criticised.

misleading the public on their conservation aims/merits

Unregulated, undocumented and uncontrolled breeding of tigers

Inappropriate diet and housing that does not comply to international standards. etc etc.

• Like 2

Somebody has shelled out a nice big fat brown envelope. When it comes to inhumane and despicable acts in the name of money Thailand is without question the HUB.

I wonder how the owners and officials would feel about being chained up and drugged 24/7 just to please a few tourists - tourist who should know better to avoid such places.

Another day goes by that I am delighted in the decision to get out and no longer support such a vile country.

and this surely shows that nothing in Thailand has changed only that the envelopes gets redistributed to a different political affiliation.

Monks are monks and should never ever make money out of animals but then again in Thailand the monks even eat animals.

For one scary moment there i thought Thailand had gone crazier than usual. Nice to see that the Head Phra's got some serious ammo stored away.......... GET SOME !!!!!!!!!!!!! Business as usual.......... Probably get a Nobel prize this year for his valiant conservation work, and marksmanship in hitting the right pocket with the right envelope.......... phew ........... close..........Saaaatuuuuuuuuuu..........

Edited by SupermarineS6B

"... they “found nothing unusual...”

There is nothing unusual about capturing and chaining beautiful wild animals and making them into a tourist attraction? That should tell you all you need to know about Thailand and Thai Buddhism wai2.gif wai2.gif wai2.gif

Most of the cats are orphaned and not captured but rescued.

A few people saying the tigers are doped and "I've never seen a drowsy tiger in a zoo" I'm wondering if these people have actually visited the place? The reason you don't see a drowsy tiger in a zoo is because in the afternoon heat they go to sleep and they are in a cage and you are not - so you don't see them. All cats, including domestic cats sleep when it's hot. If you're at the tiger temple at 5pm when they start to wake up and play, people might say different. Just saying.

• Like 1

A few people saying the tigers are doped and "I've never seen a drowsy tiger in a zoo" I'm wondering if these people have actually visited the place? The reason you don't see a drowsy tiger in a zoo is because in the afternoon heat they go to sleep and they are in a cage and you are not - so you don't see them. All cats, including domestic cats sleep when it's hot. If you're at the tiger temple at 5pm when they start to wake up and play, people might say different. Just saying.

I see one thing common with all of these posts. Complete ignorance. I used to go to this temple a lot. Abbot Chan is a very decent man and loves these animals as he says they are all friends who have reincarnated as Tigers to be with him. Regardless, the animals all stem from Tigers rescued years ago and are treated very well indeed. They are not drugged, they are simply not feral. There are less than 10,000 tigers left on planet earth and this is perhaps the most successful tiger conservation spot in the world now. Rather than post cynical comments on something you know nothing about, instead go to Kanchanaburi and support this wonderful venture with your cash.

Edited by AjarnDara

AjarnDara, your so right, the temple is adored by those who visit it. The monks work so hard looking after the tigers and showing tourists around. This place is a credit to Thai tourism and a saviour for the tiger. Less than 10,000 wild tigers left. Some must be captive in case numbers of tiger continue to fall.

Thankyou, Tiger Temple, your hardwork and love of tigers inspires all of us

"... they “found nothing unusual...”

There is nothing unusual about capturing and chaining beautiful wild animals and making them into a tourist attraction? That should tell you all you need to know about Thailand and Thai Buddhism wai2.gif wai2.gif wai2.gif

Most of the cats are orphaned and not captured but rescued.

not true - the original were bought off poachers, and the rest WERE BRED AT THE ZOO.

• Like 2

AjarnDara, your so right, the temple is adored by those who visit it. The monks work so hard looking after the tigers and showing tourists around. This place is a credit to Thai tourism and a saviour for the tiger. Less than 10,000 wild tigers left. Some must be captive in case numbers of tiger continue to fall.

Thankyou, Tiger Temple, your hardwork and love of tigers inspires all of us

" Less than 10,000 wild tigers left. Some must be captive in case numbers of tiger continue to fall." - this has to be the most ill-informed post on the whole thread!

• Like 1