..student visa...

hello,

does anybody know what i have to do get a student visa? i think i have to inscribe at a university,

and can i change a tourist visa in that here or do i have to apply for it abroad..

and how long is it valid, how many entries and how much does it cost?

There is no visa called a student visa. There is a non-ed visa based upon attending a school.

You would need to enroll in a university or some other school registered with the Ministry of Education.

Non-ed visas are issued as single or multiple entries. You get a 90 day entry for each entry. A single is 1000 baht and multiple is 5000 baht.

Most people get a single entry visa and then get an extension of stay based upon attending school. For a university it would be a one year extension for a attending a non formal school it would be 90 day extensions up to a total up to 1 year per visa entry. Each extension costs 1900 baht. After getting an extension you would need a re-entry permit if you wanted to leave the country. A single is 1000 baht and a multiple 3800 baht.

• Like 1

There is no visa called a student visa. There is a non-ed visa based upon attending a school.

You would need to enroll in a university or some other school registered with the Ministry of Education.

Non-ed visas are issued as single or multiple entries. You get a 90 day entry for each entry. A single is 1000 baht and multiple is 5000 baht.

Most people get a single entry visa and then get an extension of stay based upon attending school. For a university it would be a one year extension for a attending a non formal school it would be 90 day extensions up to a total up to 1 year per visa entry. Each extension costs 1900 baht. After getting an extension you would need a re-entry permit if you wanted to leave the country. A single is 1000 baht and a multiple 3800 baht.

..ok, and which documents do i need to enroll in a university? do they charge something for that and is it also controlled, if i attend any courses?

..ok, and which documents do i need to enroll in a university? do they charge something for that and is it also controlled, if i attend any courses?

That is a question that can be asked on the Higher education in Thailand forum.

You cannot convert from a tourist visa to an ED-visa.

Is this another recent change Mario?

I changed my single entry tourist visa to an ED visa, then extended the 'o'ED visa to a marriage extension and got all the help to do so on TV.

It might be possible to get a change of visa status to get a visa for University studies now. But it can only be done at Bangkok immigration and 3 designated regional offices.

You got your change to an extension based upon marriage done just before they changed the rules..

My university counselor claims that I can change from TR to ED without leaving the country (in Bangkok).

I was quite puzzled when I heard that because that wasn't the procedure when I changed from TR to ED when I attended a language school (although back in 2008 ).

Edited by Hawkup2000

My university counselor claims that I can change from TR to ED without leaving the country (in Bangkok).

I was quite puzzled when I heard that because that wasn't the procedure when I changed from TR to ED when I attended a language school (although back in 2008 ).

Students at an university or any public school are treated very differently than private (Thai language) students.

"..ok, and which documents do i need to enroll in a university? do they charge something for that and is it also controlled, if i attend any courses?"

You would need to contact the university's admissions office for that information. If you fail to attend classes or meet other requirements you would undoubtedly be suspended or expelled and immigrations would probably be notified that you were AWOL.

For example, Mahidol University has the following requirements to be considered for admissions: http://www.muic.mahidol.ac.th/eng/?page_id=2105

Required Documents

For International Applicants

1. Fill the “Online Application Form
  2. Submit all the required documents as follows:
    1. 3 photos with school uniform or official dress (1 inch)
    2. Certified copy of high school diploma or its equivalent (with English translation)
    3. Official transcript (with English translation)
    4. Official report of TOEFL or IELTS or SAT1 scores (non-native English speakers must submit one of these English tests)
    5. A photocopy of passport
    6. Two letters of recommendation
    7. Application fee
  3. Submit the documents and application fees by:
    1. Going to MUIC in person and paying the fee by cash at the MUIC’s admissions office OR
    2. Mailing all the documents and fee* before the end of application date to:

Admissions Office

Mahidol University International College

999 Bhudhamonthon 4 Road

Salaya Nakornpathom 73170

Thailand