Visa Exemption Stamp Close Call-Don Muang

I went through the Thai line with my Thai girlfriend and was almost denied entry. The man that allowed me to go ahead explained that one was only allowed 6 visa exemptions within a year long period. Looking at my passport that would have to include the two visa exemption 30 day extensions that I received.

Just a heads up for anyone choosing to pass through Don Muang. I was not aware of the 6 visa exempt quota limitation previously. I don't believe it's written anywhere as well.

Btw, non of my visa exempts were out/ins, that last one was a 5 day stint to Cambodia then back to Thailand, most periods of time spent in Thailand were separated by about 3 months.

I'm a G7 USA passport holder and truly work not in the country of Thailand but choose to spend my time off in Thailand. Perhaps I should reconsider my visa strategy and or country for future R&R's. Cambodia gives a 30 day visa online that's very easy and painless, I've been told that you can extend this for one year very easily for instance.

Life's full of choices and I'm willing to take them.

Edited by Roger Lee

It is know that some officers at Don Meuang like to scare and lecture people about non existing regulations. In your case they would not even know how to count, because extensions are clearly not visa exempt entries..

So far, we only have reports of the verbal hassling but none of actual refusal of entry, to do which they would have little legal basis.

• Like 1

"I went through the Thai line with my Thai girlfriend and was almost denied entry" - Why did you go through the Thai line at the airport? You clearly aren't Thai as you said you are a US passport holder.

Nothing wrong with that. at officer's discretion, foreigners can used desks for Thai nationals. This is often used as overflow, or couples travelling together, etc.

"I went through the Thai line with my Thai girlfriend and was almost denied entry" - Why did you go through the Thai line at the airport? You clearly aren't Thai as you said you are a US passport holder.

Nothing wrong with that. at officer's discretion, foreigners can used desks for Thai nationals. This is often used as overflow, or couples travelling together, etc.

It would never be allowed in Western countries but hey, this is Thailand.

Maybe foreigners should start walking through the Thai line at airports to save some time biggrin.png Should try it at Suvarnabhumi next time. Taxi drivers & some other Thai people tell me "khun bpen khon Thai" after I speak to them in Thai so maybe can use it as an excuse if questioned why I went through the Thai line clap2.gif

Edited by bbi1

It is known that the husband – de jure husband – of a Thai national is often allowed to go through the Thai passport channel, but certainly not the foreign boyfriend of a Thai national, unless, of course, a foreigner is directed by an immigration assistant to to use that channel, eg when few Thais are using it and the queues are long on the foreign channels. More likely, though, in such circumstance the foreigner would be directed to use the VIP channel, or whatever it is called, as once happened to me.

Maybe foreigners should start walking through the Thai line at airports to save some time biggrin.png Should try it at Suvarnabhumi next time. Taxi drivers & some other Thai people tell me "khun bpen khon Thai" after I speak to them in Thai so maybe can use it as an excuse if questioned why I went through the Thai line clap2.gif

Actually it IS allowed in the UK - or at least it is at Heathrow, as my Thai wife and I found out in 2009 after we had both waited in the "All Other" queue for nearly an hour, only to be informed by both the immigration assistant we encountered at the front of the queue and the immigration officer with whom we dealt that she could have accompanied me through the EEA section as we were both travelling together.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

The reason I went through the Thai line was that the immigration officer saw me directing my girlfriend away from the Asean line to the Thai line and told me to follow, which was a pleasant surprise. I was standing in the foreign passport line at the time.

I always go through the Thai lines when with the Mrs, never a problem and she being a Thai passport holder comes with me through the Euro lines in Europe, again never a problem.

If there is no one in the Thai queue, I've gone through without a problem. One time went through the queue for diplomats without a problem.

Thais or diplomats have priority in those designated queues, but if no one is being served or waiting to be served, it's not a problem.

Edited by Suradit69

Actually it IS allowed in the UK - or at least it is at Heathrow, as my Thai wife and I found out in 2009 after we had both waited in the "All Other" queue for nearly an hour, only to be informed by both the immigration assistant we encountered at the front of the queue and the immigration officer with whom we dealt that she could have accompanied me through the EEA section as we were both travelling together.

Confirmed.

Thankfully, I had seen advice from the "Old Git" who said that families/traveling groups would not be split up so I took my GF through EEA section.

Rubbish, in fact they want you to use the same line in US. Flash both passports, never told to separate or use foreigners line and that is in 5 major US airports not incl LAS. You have no idea ehat you are talki g sbout, sorry.

I've been hassled by a Thai Immigration once coming in, never out - but he was just in the mood to haasle me. No reason I cant use the line as stated. He asked for proof we were married - as if I would lie to use the line eh? But, I had a copy of the marriage cert. He shut up and processed me, then made hollow excuses to us (wife, in Thai). What was pathetic was he was sitting alone with no intake. Should have just processed us and given us a smile. Done.

Thailand is so much like this anymore and its really ruining the thai-farang relationship. How many times does a tourist need be treated poorly before they go to Malaysia to lay on a beach (90 day free stamp, zer hassles and lots of "Thai" smiles.

Edited by Mencken