Good prices for flights currently

WhamBam

I've been looking for a couple of weeks at the prices from UK to BKK. Used Skyscanner (using the whole month options) amongst others like Kayak and Kelkoo to name but two.

Booked @ £464 from Newcastle with Emirates via netflights. Dep. April - Ret. August

London Heathrow was a bit cheaper but getting there + the underground for 1 hour decided me against it. Especially as I can get the train North or South.

Credit card charges seem to have risen as the flight prices have dropped. All the places I checked are over £9 for using a CC. £0 for debit card. After checking, I see Section 75 guarantees the debit card transaction so it seems pointless to use a credit card.

Happy days to see the prices low again - however long they may last.

• Like 1

Etihad and Qatar are battling it out at around 420 pounds, great deals.

British Airways at 520 pounds direct would be my choice though.

If you want to have a nightmare 12 hours in tiny economy seats you go ahead on BA !!

• Like 2

Last 5 flights from Heathrow have averaged £422 for myself

The prices are cheaper from Heathrow for the flights themselves, yes.

I factored in the cost of the tube from Kings cross to Heathrow (return) and the hour it takes on the tube too Often crowded with little room. Plus up and down escalators. Plus the cost of rail travel to KC.

Decided to give Newcastle a try. Easier to reach with better flight times for departure and UK arrival times.

I paid nearer £450 to £500 from Heathrow. Some cheaper flights but not often on the dates I want. More especially the arrival times back to the UK for onward travel.

Still it is good to see lower prices and I hope it continues downward smile.png

I normally use the Newcastle to Bangkok route on Emirates. It seems there has been a change in timetable recently and the amount of flights with what I determine as a decent "stop-over period" in Dubai are fewer than in the past.

(For the record Emirates have also made changes their website booking pages recently too.)

With that said, I do believe Emirates are to review their fuel tax surcharge this coming April so prices many decline a tad then.

Edited by moobie
  • Like 1

I factored in the cost of the tube from Kings cross to Heathrow (return) and the hour it takes on the tube too Often crowded with little room. Plus up and down escalators. Plus the cost of rail travel to KC.

Decided to give Newcastle a try. Easier to reach with better flight times for departure and UK arrival times.

I paid nearer £450 to £500 from Heathrow. Some cheaper flights but not often on the dates I want. More especially the arrival times back to the UK for onward travel.

Think the Departure tax drops another £14 from April which will drop prices further.........feel fee to correct me if that infos wrong !

If you want to have a nightmare 12 hours in tiny economy seats you go ahead on BA !!

Maybe I'm only tiny wink.png

BA or EVA, can't be bothering with all that changing anymore.

With the strength of the GBP would it not be better to take a cheap flight to Amsterdam or Paris and take a flight from there, booking and paying for it in Euro,s ?

I was just curious after reading this topic so I checked sky scanner.

One of the airlines mentioned above was EVA so I set the 1st search settings as being in the UK, wanting the GBP and obviously the language as English

Eva direct from LHR to BKK return leaving mid March and returning mid April was around 650 GBP

I then changed the search settings to being in Holland, paying in Euro,s and again in English.

EVA direct again AMS to BKK return for the same time period was around 570 Euros

Allowing for conversion costs and bank charges that should be around 1.30 Euros per GBP which would be 438 GBP.

The cost of return flights from the UK to AMS was around 50 GBP.

So either 650 GBP direct from LHR or 488 GBP from the UK and changing plane in Amsterdam which is quite a saving.

Maybe its worth you guys investigating or perhaps there is some rule or other that doesn't allow you to do it, cant see why though

Yeah...too long in a horribly cramped seat. I always go JET > Bkk to Mumbai, about 4 hours and then have a 1-2 hour break which gives you time to get the blood back into your legs, then Mumbai - London which is 8-9 hours. And JET is cheap; last flight was 24000 rt.

They aren't that bad....I flew back economy with them a couple of years ago.

Anyway....BA have premium economy seats going for £720 each for travel dates in May.....I might be tempted to step down from biz class at that price!

They aren't that bad....I flew back economy with them a couple of years ago.

Anyway....BA have premium economy seats going for £720 each for travel dates in May.....I might be tempted to step down from biz class at that price!

It certainly looks like a no-brainer step-up from economy at that price.

With the strength of the GBP would it not be better to take a cheap flight to Amsterdam or Paris and take a flight from there, booking and paying for it in Euro,s ?

One of the airlines mentioned above was EVA so I set the 1st search settings as being in the UK, wanting the GBP and obviously the language as English

Eva direct from LHR to BKK return leaving mid March and returning mid April was around 650 GBP

I then changed the search settings to being in Holland, paying in Euro,s and again in English.

EVA direct again AMS to BKK return for the same time period was around 570 Euros

Allowing for conversion costs and bank charges that should be around 1.30 Euros per GBP which would be 438 GBP.

So either 650 GBP direct from LHR or 488 GBP from the UK and changing plane in Amsterdam which is quite a saving.

Maybe its worth you guys investigating or perhaps there is some rule or other that doesn't allow you to do it, cant see why though

I do believe that there is such a rule, it might be a good work-around to have 2 separate tickets, or to spend 24-hours in AMS ?

Prior to using Emirates out of the UK my preferred mention of getting over to Thailand was via Schipol (AMS) on KLM and using China Airlines for onward travel. I used to book through a flight shop in Newcastle and because the UK Government placed a different level of tax depending on distance to travel (& in what class) it was often a far better price than other since out of the UK to Schipol was determined as a "short haul flight". (Supposedly we in the UK have some of the highest flight prices in the World and there are a few online campaigns trying to get these lowered.)

One thing I try to do is to ask a flight shop about the cost of my desired flight and then compare it to that stated online. Some times it pays to do this.

Edited by moobie

I booked with UIA in November for April departure from LGW to BKK for £369 return.

Bottom of the pile quality wise, and I was prepared to pay for directs with EVA or such but when I saw the price I just couldn't miss it. I'm not the sort of person who worries about travel conditions, I wouldn't like the journey whatever I was in. Plus now I get £300 extra spending money.

• Like 1

yes can be done but flights have to be booked as 2 separate tickets, not both flights on 1 ticket, i once priced BA from AMS to BKK via LHR so 2 flights and it was £150 less than LHR/BKK go figure

• Like 2

Good suggestion, and I'm currently looking at this option myself for flights from BKK to Dublin and return in April. However, the main drawback, as far as I can see, of doing it this way (i.e. booking two separate flights) is that you would have to pick up your luggage (assuming you are travelling with checked baggage) in AMS/Paris/whatever airport, then queue up again at the check-in counter for the final leg of the journey and check-in your bag(s) for the next flight (i.e. AMS to England or Ireland, etc.) and then go through Security and Passport control again. Time consuming, not to mention stressful, especially if you haven't allowed enough time for the connecting flight.

Good suggestion, and I'm currently looking at this option myself for flights from BKK to Dublin and return in April. However, the main drawback, as far as I can see, of doing it this way (i.e. booking two separate flights) is that you would have to pick up your luggage (assuming you are travelling with checked baggage) in AMS/Paris/whatever airport, then queue up again at the check-in counter for the final leg of the journey and check-in your bag(s) for the next flight (i.e. AMS to England or Ireland, etc.) and then go through Security and Passport control again. Time consuming, not to mention stressful, especially if you haven't allowed enough time for the connecting flight.

most short hop flights would require this, so leave enough time, can even do AMS and Paris by train, ferry or coach from UK

Maybe I'm only tiny wink.png

BA or EVA, can't be bothering with all that changing anymore.

Fine if you live near Heathrow, but for me and the Geordie, still only 1 change if using Emirates/ Etihad/ Qatar etc.

Changing in Heathrow can be a poor option.

lucky you only 12 hours.......try 21 hours to Atlanta

lucky you only 12 hours.......try 21 hours to Atlanta

How do you do 21 hours Atlanta? Do you go over Europe and the Atlantic, or over the US and the Pacific? I'm on the US W. Coast and I never beat 21 hours over the Pacific. It's a drain and then the jet lag...

It really bugs me that return flights from Thailand to London are so much more expensive than going the other way.

A couple of years back, I had to go back to the UK in a hurry and did not know how long I would have to stay. I got a one-way to London from Thailand.

When I knew when I would be able to return to Thailand. The cheapest option that I could find was with China Airways. Obviously only a one-way flight again, changing in Amsterdam.

The first leg to Amsterdam was with BA and yes, I had to collect my baggage and check in again. It really wasn't much of a hardship and I wasn't restricted to the airport. It was really nice to be able to wander outside and have a smoke and/or a coffee.

I haven't visited Amsterdam properly for 15 years and unfortunately have lost contact with the people that I knew there. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind having a long stopover there.

Booked a flight recently departure date 23//03 London - Bangkok EVA direct £530 Bargain

Booked a flight recently departure date 23//03 London - Bangkok EVA direct £530 Bargain

Thai have had London Bangkok at £508 for introduction of the A380 for some time........Even in early childrens summer holiday they were only £533

Travelbag had the deals no idea if still available though

All the major players will interline your luggage even if they cannot issue a boarding card for your connecting flight, subject to local restrictions such as transit time.. Your flights don't need to be in the same reservation but you do need to show a confirmed booking for your connecting flight at check-in and you need to ask for your luggage to be tagged to your final destination..