Good prices for flights currently

WhamBam

Prices in THB or Sterling havnt really changed much over the past 10 years except for the added departure tax from UK. Still possible now with B.A. to fly for THB 31,000 same as 2004

BA was a lot more than 31K 6 months ago, I was 38K on EVA and If I remember right BA was 44K.

Agree with the 31K now, just booked a couple of weeks ago. With the reduction in oil, prices should have come down.

With the strength of the GBP would it not be better to take a cheap flight to Amsterdam or Paris and take a flight from there, booking and paying for it in Euro,s ?

I was just curious after reading this topic so I checked sky scanner.

One of the airlines mentioned above was EVA so I set the 1st search settings as being in the UK, wanting the GBP and obviously the language as English

Eva direct from LHR to BKK return leaving mid March and returning mid April was around 650 GBP

I then changed the search settings to being in Holland, paying in Euro,s and again in English.

EVA direct again AMS to BKK return for the same time period was around 570 Euros

Allowing for conversion costs and bank charges that should be around 1.30 Euros per GBP which would be 438 GBP.

The cost of return flights from the UK to AMS was around 50 GBP.

So either 650 GBP direct from LHR or 488 GBP from the UK and changing plane in Amsterdam which is quite a saving.

Maybe its worth you guys investigating or perhaps there is some rule or other that doesn't allow you to do it, cant see why though

The very first time I came to Thailand was to a friends wedding in 1999. As it happens I had already agreed to go to Amsterdam for the weekend with another couple of friends so I bought my first ticket from a travel agent in Amsterdam. For several years after I always bought my ticket from the same travel agent until China Airlines pushed their prices up. Getting the ticket from the Dutch travel agent was always about 20 percent cheaper than in the UK so I am not convinced that the difference in price has anything to do with the rate of exchange, just cheaper in Holland.

If you time it right you can get to Amsterdam very cheap, I have done it for as little as £8 from Liverpool with Easyjet.

With the strength of the GBP would it not be better to take a cheap flight to Amsterdam or Paris and take a flight from there, booking and paying for it in Euro,s ?

One of the airlines mentioned above was EVA so I set the 1st search settings as being in the UK, wanting the GBP and obviously the language as English

Eva direct from LHR to BKK return leaving mid March and returning mid April was around 650 GBP

I then changed the search settings to being in Holland, paying in Euro,s and again in English.

EVA direct again AMS to BKK return for the same time period was around 570 Euros

Allowing for conversion costs and bank charges that should be around 1.30 Euros per GBP which would be 438 GBP.

So either 650 GBP direct from LHR or 488 GBP from the UK and changing plane in Amsterdam which is quite a saving.

Maybe its worth you guys investigating or perhaps there is some rule or other that doesn't allow you to do it, cant see why though

Good suggestion, and I'm currently looking at this option myself for flights from BKK to Dublin and return in April. However, the main drawback, as far as I can see, of doing it this way (i.e. booking two separate flights) is that you would have to pick up your luggage (assuming you are travelling with checked baggage) in AMS/Paris/whatever airport, then queue up again at the check-in counter for the final leg of the journey and check-in your bag(s) for the next flight (i.e. AMS to England or Ireland, etc.) and then go through Security and Passport control again. Time consuming, not to mention stressful, especially if you haven't allowed enough time for the connecting flight.

All the major players will interline your luggage even if they cannot issue a boarding card for your connecting flight, subject to local restrictions such as transit time.. Your flights don't need to be in the same reservation but you do need to show a confirmed booking for your connecting flight at check-in and you need to ask for your luggage to be tagged to your final destination..

Are you serious?!?! That is the best news I've had in a long time... That is very interesting and good to know. Thanks a million for that one!

Good suggestion, and I'm currently looking at this option myself for flights from BKK to Dublin and return in April. However, the main drawback, as far as I can see, of doing it this way (i.e. booking two separate flights) is that you would have to pick up your luggage (assuming you are travelling with checked baggage) in AMS/Paris/whatever airport, then queue up again at the check-in counter for the final leg of the journey and check-in your bag(s) for the next flight (i.e. AMS to England or Ireland, etc.) and then go through Security and Passport control again. Time consuming, not to mention stressful, especially if you haven't allowed enough time for the connecting flight.

All the major players will interline your luggage even if they cannot issue a boarding card for your connecting flight, subject to local restrictions such as transit time.. Your flights don't need to be in the same reservation but you do need to show a confirmed booking for your connecting flight at check-in and you need to ask for your luggage to be tagged to your final destination..

Are you serious?!?! That is the best news I've had in a long time... That is very interesting and good to know. Thanks a million for that one!

You definitely need to have the flight number at check in.

Prior to using Emirates out of the UK my preferred mention of getting over to Thailand was via Schipol (AMS) on KLM and using China Airlines for onward travel. I used to book through a flight shop in Newcastle and because the UK Government placed a different level of tax depending on distance to travel (& in what class) it was often a far better price than other since out of the UK to Schipol was determined as a "short haul flight". (Supposedly we in the UK have some of the highest flight prices in the World and there are a few online campaigns trying to get these lowered.)

One thing I try to do is to ask a flight shop about the cost of my desired flight and then compare it to that stated online. Some times it pays to do this.

The UK has one of the highest flight taxes in the the world which is why the flights are expensive, so booking a short haul flight and then the long haul will avoid some of these taxes. I sometimes book my EU flights on EU websites as they're often cheaper than the UK websites.

I've booked MAN to BKK via Dubai on Emirates for the end of June @ £454 with a 2 hr stopover each way and its on the A380 all legs. I prefer Emirates as they give you 30Kg baggage. This was their sale price a few weeks ago.

Edited by Jaggg88

Prior to using Emirates out of the UK my preferred mention of getting over to Thailand was via Schipol (AMS) on KLM and using China Airlines for onward travel. I used to book through a flight shop in Newcastle and because the UK Government placed a different level of tax depending on distance to travel (& in what class) it was often a far better price than other since out of the UK to Schipol was determined as a "short haul flight". (Supposedly we in the UK have some of the highest flight prices in the World and there are a few online campaigns trying to get these lowered.)

One thing I try to do is to ask a flight shop about the cost of my desired flight and then compare it to that stated online. Some times it pays to do this.

The UK has one of the highest flight taxes in the the world which is why the flights are expensive, so booking a short haul flight and then the long haul will avoid some of these taxes. I sometimes book my EU flights on EU websites as they're often cheaper than the UK websites.

I've booked MAN to BKK via Dubai on Emirates for the end of June @ £454 with a 2 hr stopover each way and its on the A380 all legs. I prefer Emirates as they give you 30Kg baggage. This was their sale price a few weeks ago.

The 30kg does help, especially when asked for so many tea bags and other produce by friends. Space is the problem though laugh.png

Oddly enough, I noticed more expensive flights with 20+ hours flight times when I booked my flight. It was the same today when I checked out of curiosity.

2 hours stopover is fine by me too. Chance to stretch the legs.

From last year, supposed to start April but you never know what this years budget will bring.

"Roll on 2015. Flights to far-flung places should be a little cheaper.

In his budget today, the Chancellor George Osborne reformed Air Passenger Duty (APD). Instead of the four bands we have now (A, the short-haul routes, B, C and D, the long-haul routes) there will be two bands. Band A will remain; it’s currently £13 per flight. Band B will stay too, but Bands C and D will be abolished. All long-haul flights will carry the same tax rate – £71.

This takes APD back to a two-band system just as it was in 1994 when it was a fiver on short-haul routes and £10 for long haul."

http://www.cheapflights.co.uk/news/air-passenger-duty-reformed-budget-cheaper-flights-way/

The 30kg does help, especially when asked for so many tea bags and other produce by friends. Space is the problem though laugh.png

Oddly enough, I noticed more expensive flights with 20+ hours flight times when I booked my flight. It was the same today when I checked out of curiosity.

2 hours stopover is fine by me too. Chance to stretch the legs.

Great if it goes to plan, I have been off loaded a few times which make me prefer the directs.

One time I was offloaded by Qater, re-routed to Paris and on to Manchester by BMI. There was about a dozen of us and some got quite upset when they were asked to pay for coffee on the last leg. We ended up back in Manchester about 8 hours late and no luggage.

One guy had been travelling with his Thai GF, her first time, when we were called forward they would not allow any discussion and she was left on the original flight, had to wait at Manchester airport for the 8 hours.

I know it was probably unusual but makes me nervous every time I fly via the ME.

I think if you book direct with Emirates there is no credit card charge.Also if i was you i wouls stick with them and join their skyward plan.If you go to Thailand a good few times over the next few years you could get a free upgrade to business plus you get to use the lounge and if it is on the last leg of your journey you get a free pick up home in a mercs.(within a 50 mile radius)As for flights Expedia have some great deals i think around the same as what you paid including a night in bangkok at a 5star hotel.