Flying CNX to BKK no passport

binjalin

You are aware that your passport must be available at all times if not a Thai national? You can leave it at home, carry a copy, but you could be spending time at a police station until it is presented. I would not advise flying to another area of Thailand without a passport.

Thats has been confirmed by top police that it is not the case.. Carrying a copy is valid as long as if an issue comes up, then it can be provided within a reasonable period.

Given that there are many possible instances when you cannot have your passport to hand (applying for a visa for a country that doesnt have a consulate here for example) its obvious that there have to be exceptions.

• Like 2

i too am needing to travel this weekend and do not have my passport with my, it is currently with another countries embassy getting stamped for a visa. my thai license is out of validity so not sure if that would work, but do have a second passport that I could use, but there is no immigration stamp in it as i entered using the one that has been sent away, does anyone know if this second passport would suffice?

You are aware that your passport must be available at all times if not a Thai national? You can leave it at home, carry a copy, but you could be spending time at a police station until it is presented. I would not advise flying to another area of Thailand without a passport.

Thats has been confirmed by top police that it is not the case.. Carrying a copy is valid as long as if an issue comes up, then it can be provided within a reasonable period.

Given that there are many possible instances when you cannot have your passport to hand (applying for a visa for a country that doesnt have a consulate here for example) its obvious that there have to be exceptions.

You are right in general circumstances, but under aviation rules a passport can be demanded before being allowed to board an aircraft. They are under no obligation to accept a photocopy no matter who says it's OK.

• Like 1

I always carry a copy or have a photo on my phone of my passport and current entry stamp. My understanding is that as long as you have a copy of both you are covered, Now that being said, I have never tried to fly without my passport so don't have any first hand experience. whistling.gif

You are right in general circumstances, but under aviation rules a passport can be demanded before being allowed to board an aircraft. They are under no obligation to accept a photocopy no matter who says it's OK.

When you leave Chiang Mai you enter Thailand and Thailand is under martial law. The military calls the shots not a top cop. There is no way I would travel anywhere in Thailand without my passport.

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 1

You can be detained until original is shown so it is not a good idea to travel outside of the local area. Showing in a reasonable time is subject to the officers mood - and it can mean taking him to it. If anyone has any legal document showing otherwise please post as an official change would be most welcome - but as far as I know there has not been such such change - only clarification that you would be safe for local travel with a copy if you can then provide the original if asked.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

When you leave Chiang Mai you enter Thailand and Thailand is under marshall law. The military calls the shots not a top cop. There is no way I would travel anywhere in Thailand without my passport.

I have personally witnessed (twice) individuals detained by the military at highway check points. Both times they were in the crossbar hotel for two days and nights until their passport were produced.

• Like 1

You are aware that your passport must be available at all times if not

a Thai national? You can leave it at home, carry a copy, but you could be spending time at a police station until it is presented. I would not advise flying to another area of Thailand without a passport.

When you leave Chiang Mai you enter Thailand and Thailand is under martial law. The military calls the shots not a top cop. There is no way I would travel anywhere in Thailand without my passport.

I thought Chiangmai was already in Thailand?

• Like 1

The airline has the right of refusal anyway.. Passport or no passport..

However for domestic flights a passport is not a requirement.. ID is.. As is evidenced by the many Thais flying on every flight, without a passport.

I have flown with only a Thai DL a few times, it did have a small bit of conversation as the expectation is a farang will have one.. But it was easily understood and accepted after checking the DL.

The airline has the right of refusal anyway.. Passport or no passport..

However for domestic flights a passport is not a requirement.. ID is.. As is evidenced by the many Thais flying on every flight, without a passport.

I have flown with only a Thai DL a few times, it did have a small bit of conversation as the expectation is a farang will have one.. But it was easily understood and accepted after checking the DL.

Most Thai's don't have a passport, their ID if the 'gold standard' of identification.

I think you're missing the point, which is that they can demand to see a passport before allowing you on board.

If there's concerns or something has happened at the time this is very likely and it's their right to refuse you.

I usually fly domestic with my driving licence, but I've got my passport with me anyway.

In the OP's case I doubt he will have a problem, but it's not 100% guaranteed.

I've used my Thai DL, my US DL, and my US passport card for domestic flights. These have always been accepted. All you need is a government-issued ID.

Having said that, I always have my passport with me if I leave Chiang Mai.

I don't believe there is any law that says you have to show your passport to a 25 year old Nok Air counter girl.

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 1

I've used my Thai DL, my US DL, my US passport card. All you need is a government-issued ID.

I don't believe there is any law that says you have to show your passport to a 25 year old Nok Air counter girl.

Every airline has the right to refuse a boarding card. Just read through any airline's terms & conditions of ticket purchase.

I've used my Thai DL, my US DL, my US passport card. All you need is a government-issued ID.

Every airline has the right to refuse a boarding card. Just read through any airline's terms & conditions of ticket purchase.

I've never heard of anyone being refused boarding a domestic flight by using a government-issued ID that was not a passport.

Yes, and they have that right even if you have your passport in hand.

I have never heard of anyone being refused boarding on a domestic flight with a Thai issued ID / DL etc.. Tho I can believe a fronline desk person may think it unusual.

Actually we were almost denied boarding of a Nok Air flight in Chiang Mai due to original birth certificate name not exactly matching ticket (this was for a Thai child). Only when we presented an official government name amendment paper were we allowed to board (was presented but behind the original and not seen). Also boarding any flight is subject to the approval of the Captain.

Each time I have travelled by in-land flights in Thailand, I have always without fail been asked to show my passport.

My advice to the OP is; make inquiries with the airline, explain why he is unable to produce his passport and see if they can come up with some solution to the problem.

I've used my driver's license a number of times when my passport was held up somewhere. The check-in staff at CNX see this kind of thing all the time. In my experience they are not looking for excuses to keep passengers from boarding.

• Like 1

I've used my driver's license a number of times when my passport was held up somewhere. The check-in staff at CNX see this kind of thing all the time. In my experience they are not looking for excuses to keep passengers from boarding.

Yes we all have.

Yes they see it all the time.

No they are not looking for excuses to keep passengers from boarding.

BUT if there's ever an incident, they may be told to check all passports no exception, it could be someone's unlucky day.

Each time I have travelled by in-land flights in Thailand, I have always without fail been asked to show my passport.

My advice to the OP is; make inquiries with the airline, explain why he is unable to produce his passport and see if they can come up with some solution to the problem.

I also have always been asked to show my passport. But that does not mean they would not except a Thai drivers license for in country flights. They just assumed that you will have a passport and are rite probably about 95% of the time. the ones who have other types of ID apparently have no problem with it.

I do have a question to travelers. some have a place to stay with friends or relatives and need no ID. But for those staying in a hotel or guest house are they not required to show their passport?