Dowry / sinsod - how do I legally bring the money to Thailand?

landrews33

I have agreed to a dowry of TB 500,000 and our wedding is in about 2 weeks. How is it best to bring the money from the US? I am thinking of part cash (US $5,000 or so) and the balance in a cashiers check payable to the mother. I am worried about carrying too much cash and the chance it will be pilfered by guests, custom agents, etc. Suggestions?

Thanks

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't you take it out of your account from a Thai bank?

Get a MasterCard or visa debit card first before you leave home, and any Thai bank will help you.

These days travel agents have the cards.

I have agreed to a dowry of TB 500,000

I hope you get a written guarantee for that kind of money laugh.png

Yes - I worry about it all. You know, if I am being scammed etc.

I paid US 10,000 for my first Thai wife's family. They used it to build mom a new house and feed her and never asked me for more. I brought some cash and the rest in AmEx Travel checks - good thing since one of the guests had sticky fingers.

This time my fiancée's family will pay all the wedding costs, and they seem like good hearted people. I just fret over how to do the money transaction.

Why can't you take it out of your account from a Thai bank?

Get a MasterCard or visa debit card first before you leave home, and any Thai bank will help you.

These days travel agents have the cards.

Thanks I do that for travel expenses. However I think the limit is about US $500 per day. And we are talking $15,000 so I am not sure if that will work. But I will definitely talk to my bank (Wells Fargo) to see what they can do.

Transfer it to your fiancée's Thai account and then withdraw it after you arrive.

Thanks, that's an excellent idea. I also have her mom's account number. The problem is that when I talked to my bank they told me that Siam Commercial Bank has 3 different SWIFT numbers and I have to know the right one. I can't seem to communicate that to my gf because of language differences. But I will work on that approach. I would also rather hand over the money at the wedding, not before for practical and symbolic reasons.

"Suggestions?"

RUN!

Family rural farmers, newbie signed up today dropping 500k on woman, etc. I smell a troll.

However, at the slim chance you ain't and for the benefit of others... if you do go down that road, make sure you get most of it back, which IS the Thai way. Cashier's cheque wouldn't work as the whole point is to show off to everyone what their daughter is 'worth'. Also ask yourself, would a Thai man put up that kind of money for this lady.

"Suggestions?"

RUN!

Family rural farmers, newbie signed up today dropping 500k on woman, etc. I smell a troll.

However, at the slim chance you ain't and for the benefit of others... if you do go down that road, make sure you get most of it back, which IS the Thai way. Cashier's cheque wouldn't work as the whole point is to show off to everyone what their daughter is 'worth'. Also ask yourself, would a Thai man put up that kind of money for this lady.

Thanks for that. And I do worry. However, they did not ask for the money and neither my gf nor her family have ever asked for money. It came up at meeting with all of her village and they asked what I would pay. I made the offer, based on the fact I had paid $10k to my first wife's family 12 years ago. They built a new home and never asked for more. I think you are probably right about the check - although they could waive it around at everybody to see lol.

I keep reminding myself that $15k in the US will only get you a used pickup truck - maybe the same in Thailand. And she is worth so much more to me than a truck (well, depending on the model - just kidding,)

Anyway - my concern is about safety and not having trouble with the bank or immigration people.

Transfer it to your fiancée's Thai account and then withdraw it after you arrive.

Thanks, that's an excellent idea. I also have her mom's account number. The problem is that when I talked to my bank they told me that Siam Commercial Bank has 3 different SWIFT numbers and I have to know the right one. I can't seem to communicate that to my gf because of language differences. But I will work on that approach. I would also rather hand over the money at the wedding, not before for practical and symbolic reasons.

There are no numbers in the SWIFT code, all letters. You need her account number and name exactly as shown on account in addition to the SWIFT code

(From the SCB website)

2. ชื่อธนาคาร: Siam Commercial Bank PCL

3. รหัสธนาคาร (SWIFT CODE): SICOTHBK.

"Suggestions?"

RUN!

Thanks for that. And I do worry. However, they did not ask for the money and neither my gf nor her family have ever asked for money. It came up at meeting with all of her village and they asked what I would pay. I made the offer, based on the fact I had paid $10k to my first wife's family 12 years ago. They built a new home and never asked for more. I think you are probably right about the check - although they could waive it around at everybody to see lol.

I keep reminding myself that $15k in the US will only get you a used pickup truck - maybe the same in Thailand. And she is worth so much more to me than a truck (well, depending on the model - just kidding,)

Anyway - my concern is about safety and not having trouble with the bank or immigration people.

HUH? A village said you must pay and future family doesnt decide? Only thing I can say is you deserve all the crazy things that will happen to you in this bought and paid for marriage.

But on a serious note, you can bring 19,999 US dollars into Thailand without declaring it.

I really hope this is a troll post.

"Suggestions?"

RUN!

Sinsot has nothing to do with the village or anyone else except the girls family. You do not offer, they say what they think is right and then you negotiate. If she has been previously married, has children or ever worked in a bar you should not pay a dime anyway, that;s the Thai way. 500k is ONLY appropriate for a virgin with a degree. Anything else and i'm afraid you are being taken for a ride.

"Suggestions?"

RUN!

HUH? A village said you must pay and future family doesnt decide? Only thing I can say is you deserve all the crazy things that will happen to you in this bought and paid for marriage.

But on a serious note, you can bring 19,999 US dollars into Thailand without declaring it.

I really hope this is a troll post.

I think you can only bring under $10,000, not 20.

You can bring 10K as cash without any declaration to thai Customs.

S why dont you say transfer 7500 to ur GF's account or carry it on some debit card or other plastic form and carry the remaining 7.5K as cash with you. Just an advice thats all.

"Suggestions?"

RUN!

Sinsot has nothing to do with the village or anyone else except the girls family. You do not offer, they say what they think is right and then you negotiate. If she has been previously married, has children or ever worked in a bar you should not pay a dime anyway, that;s the Thai way. 500k is ONLY appropriate for a virgin with a degree. Anything else and i'm afraid you are being taken for a ride.