Tourist Visa to Non 'O' to Retirement Extension

Firstly,I'm British citizen over 50 years old. I have funds at a Thai bank wellover the prescribed 800,000. I currently have a tourist visa with 45 days remaining. I need to convert my tourist visa to a non 'o' and then to a 1 year extension based on retirement. What is the current procedure for this and what documents are currently required? On contacting immigration at CW the information i was given wasn't clear and i was told i needed a letter from my embassy confirming my identity (passport) and address in Thailand. I've checked old threads on this subject and can't find any reference to this document. What exactly is the title of this document? Which embassy department do i obtain it from? and how much does it cost?

One further question .... I currently have my funds in a GBP savings account at a Thai bank. Can i use this or do i need to convert into Thai baht?

I have never heard of a requirement to have your identity or your address confirmed by your embassy. Certainly no report of it being needed. Perhaps just a misunderstanding. Or they meant a income letter from your embassy that you don't need since you are using the money in the bank option.

CW immigration will accept a foreign currency account with more than 800k baht in the account. You will need a letter from your bank confirming the amount in baht based upon the exchange rate for the date the letter is written. A letter will also be needed to confirm the funds came from abroad. You will also need your updated bank book or statement also and copies of them.

You can apply for the change of visa status from a tourist visa entry to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry. You will need at least 15 days remaining on your entry when you apply. It will require 2 trips to immigration 15 days apart to get the visa/entry stamp done.

You will need a completed TM86 form with an attached photo. Download load and print 2 sided. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm86.pdf

Copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry/permit to stay stamp and TM86 departure card.

The fee is 2000 baht.

Thanks Ubonjoe. Clear now. Regarding the confirmation of identity and address i was also asked for this document by 2 branches of the Bangkok Bank when i tried to open an account with them a couple of weeks back, though this wasn't asked for at another bank where i eventually opened an account. B Bank showed me a sample letter from an embassy which just said ... this is to confirm Mr ... passport and address.... .