Yamaha MT-07 Coming In 2015

BKKBike09

Just came across this Thai language post on the Yamaha web site which says that the MT07 will be sold here this year. No info on when or pricing. Apparently it was 'launched' here at the CentralWorld bike event end of January.

If they can price it at or less than 350K would be a good addition to the ever expanding list of decent bikes now available in Thailand (cue long stream of posts about pricing, how it's not as good as some other Jap brands etc etc whistling.gif )

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/ridersclub/News.aspx?Id=2725

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an import, hard to be 350K, maybe 360k, and think will be hard to compete with the ER6n.

They both offer very similar performance and specs, but the Yamaha looks better and has decent tires, instead of the crappy Dunlops on the ER6.

http://www.motorcycle-talk.net/forum/yamaha-mt-07-fz-07-versus-the-competition/111-mr07-vs-er6n.html

Edited by brfsa2

The MT-07 performs much better than the 650 competition due to it having noticeably more torque. It's also 22kg lighter. I think the MT-07 is a better bike hands down.

But due to the import pricing and dealer network I would say it's still not a clear winner. If Yamaha would produce these bikes locally and build a proper dealership network....

2014-middleweight-entry-level-comparison

The MT-07 performs much better than the 650 competition due to it having noticeably more torque. It's also 22kg lighter. I think the MT-07 is a better bike hands down.

But due to the import pricing and dealer network I would say it's still not a clear winner. If Yamaha would produce these bikes locally and build a proper dealership network....

yep it has good level of low down torque but loses its steam fast too.

it is not the better bike hands down i believe. it is a budget bike and most budget bike of this list and buying it for 13 k USD in Thailand is crazy.

and comparing an inline four with a twin is anyway comparing apples and oranges.

still Mt 07 is a good bike. i am sure a great nimble and easy ride in the city.

tank is plastic though.

it should be great as you said if Yamaha makes them in Thailand and sells them like 200 k thb though. that it is a great city bike with a great value.

At 3600 RPM the MT-07 has 7 ft*lbs more torque than the CBR650, 4 more than the SFV650 and 5 more than the Ninja. That is 13-20% more than the Thai produced bikes. This advantage continues out to 7400 RPM, but doesn't remain consistent in the amount that it exceeds the other bikes(for instance at the MT-07's peak torque it falls to 10-15% more). I'd assume that the 3200-4400 RPM range is a cruising range for these bikes due to most of them having a torque hump in that range.

It probably is the best city bike in the group, but for touring or any place you'd want power over 8000 RPM there are more cost effect options out there with a Kingdom-wide support option that doesn't have to import repair parts.

Of course these are all budget bikes and I don't think any of them is born to do touring. For that or the track the Honda would be on the top of my list (from the bikes in this group).

Not sure why you need steam over 8k RPM for touring though, haven't felt the need for that on my trips.

BTW I was surprised when you mentioned the tank being plastic LL2, but seems only the tank cover is made out of that. Not so nice but at least the fuel wont eat it :D

And of course because of the pricing like I mentioned it's not really the winner anymore. At 360k you are getting close to the 400k mark around which you can find the next level of bikes.

I think Yamaha is missing out here being one of the last big Motorcycle producers to not make big bikes in Thailand.

At 3600 RPM the MT-07 has 7 ft*lbs more torque than the CBR650, 4 more than the SFV650 and 5 more than the Ninja. That is 13-20% more than the Thai produced bikes. This advantage continues out to 7400 RPM, but doesn't remain consistent in the amount that it exceeds the other bikes(for instance at the MT-07's peak torque it falls to 10-15% more). I'd assume that the 3200-4400 RPM range is a cruising range for these bikes due to most of them having a torque hump in that range.

It probably is the best city bike in the group, but for touring or any place you'd want power over 8000 RPM there are more cost effect options out there with a Kingdom-wide support option that doesn't have to import repair parts.

honda gives its power a lot smoother than the others as well according to the dyno no bumps or ups and downs like others and in a nice linear fashion.

Of course these are all budget bikes and I don't think any of them is born to do touring. For that or the track the Honda would be on the top of my list (from the bikes in this group).

Not sure why you need steam over 8k RPM for touring though, haven't felt the need for that on my trips.

BTW I was surprised when you mentioned the tank being plastic LL2, but seems only the tank cover is made out of that. Not so nice but at least the fuel wont eat it biggrin.png

And of course because of the pricing like I mentioned it's not really the winner anymore. At 360k you are getting close to the 400k mark around which you can find the next level of bikes.

I think Yamaha is missing out here being one of the last big Motorcycle producers to not make big bikes in Thailand.

Never had to pass anyone? Can think of a couple of reasons to have steam over 8k. Getting out of trouble, the aforementioned passing, actually getting up and moving when loaded down...etc.

BTW I was surprised when you mentioned the tank being plastic LL2, but seems only the tank cover is made out of that. Not so nice but at least the fuel wont eat it biggrin.png

Never had to pass anyone? Can think of a couple of reasons to have steam over 8k. Getting out of trouble, the aforementioned passing, actually getting up and moving when loaded down...etc.

With enough torque in the low and midrange passing should be just as easy. What matters is the amount of torque and that it's over a wide enough rpm range. You can always adjust the gear before passing to be in the right range. But I guess with top end power you just have to switch gears less.

Depends on what RPM you cruise at and how much room you have left. Oh and the gearing can also make a big difference.

The MT-07 has more torque than the others from 2k to 7.5k RPM which is a wide enough band for overtaking someone.

This is just my theory and I'm a beginner so I could be wrong. Someone correct me if so.

• 1 month later...

Was at Yamaha Ratchada today. I asked about the FZ/MT07 and was told that they've brought in (or are in the process of bringing in) a first shipment of 100 bikes, which will be sold for THB 299,000. Apparently bookings at the Motor Show have been very good (of course they're not going to say otherwise).

That strikes me as a pretty good price for an imported bike, and one that's had very good reviews. US retail is 7,000 so this is 'only' 35% more. To put it into perspective, its Big Brother, the FZ/MT09, sells here for 435,000, or a whopping 70% more than the US price.

The 07 sold here (US spec) doesn't have ABS which I know will be a deal killer for some people, as will the poor Yamaha service network outside BKK, but 299,000 is a much better LOS price than I imagined for this bike.

Yup totally agree with basically everything you said. 299k THB is a fair price considering that the 650cc competition from Kawa and Honda who produce them locally is pricing theirs nearly the same.

And you are absolutely right that missing ABS will be a deal breaker for some or dare I say many? Can't understand the decision for that. They already have an uphill battle in LoS.

The price for the MT-09 really annoys me because I am eyeing the MT-09 Tracer as a touring bike but at 500k (or so I read somewhere) it would just feel like I'd get a really crappy deal. That's 150k THB more than in Europe. I wonder what the reason for the big increase is apart from import tax. Wonder also what you pay for it at an importer instead of Yamaha dealer.

Does Yamaha have no plans to produce bikes locally?

Missing abs is not acceptable for me on a 2015 bike and would be a deal breaker if I was on the marked for a 650cc naked bike.

Also the lack of Yamaha big bike dealers is not helping at all.

The Tracer is a lovely bike, would love to have one, will the ones coming here have abs? The MT09 haven't got it as far as I know.

Don't understand they are even allowed to produce and sell non abs bikes now.

The reason the Thai Yamaha dealer have chosen a non abs model can only be because of more competitive sales price, how much more for an abs model? 30-50.000 baht I think.

The reason the Thai Yamaha dealer have chosen a non abs model can only be because of more competitive sales price, how much more for an abs model? 30-50.000 baht I think.

Actually I think the reason is because they import the US spec bikes, which also don't get ABS, whereas the Euro spec ones do.

Was at Yamaha Ratchada today. I asked about the FZ/MT07 and was told that they've brought in (or are in the process of bringing in) a first shipment of 100 bikes, which will be sold for THB 299,000. Apparently bookings at the Motor Show have been very good (of course they're not going to say otherwise).

That strikes me as a pretty good price for an imported bike, and one that's had very good reviews. US retail is 7,000 so this is 'only' 35% more. To put it into perspective, its Big Brother, the FZ/MT09, sells here for 435,000, or a whopping 70% more than the US price.

The 07 sold here (US spec) doesn't have ABS which I know will be a deal killer for some people, as will the poor Yamaha service network outside BKK, but 299,000 is a much better LOS price than I imagined for this bike.

Did the sales people in Yamaha Ratchada say no ABS?

The 07 on display at the motorshow is the European MT-07 and does have ABS.

If that's true it's no ABS then that is bad news, I was looking forward to this bike selling here.

If that's true it's no ABS then that is bad news, I was looking forward to this bike selling here.

Yes, they (or rather one admin person) said no ABS. Like I said AFAIK Yamaha imports US (Cal-spec) market bikes to, in the words of the head mechanic at Ratchada, "meet Thailand's emissions rules". Comic, but next time you're stuck behind some truck or bus belching out clouds of diesel smoke, at least you have the comfort of knowing that you're riding a bike that conforms to the strictest emissions regs in the world ...

Yes, they (or rather one admin person) said no ABS. Like I said AFAIK Yamaha imports US (Cal-spec) market bikes to, in the words of the head mechanic at Ratchada, "meet Thailand's emissions rules". Comic, but next time you're stuck behind some truck or bus belching out clouds of diesel smoke, at least you have the comfort of knowing that you're riding a bike that conforms to the strictest emissions regs in the world ...

That's assuming you can stop without ABS (joke)

Same as Z800, crazy

^ I stand corrected. I just spoke with a much more senior Yamaha guy and, as per Bramds/Rambling info, he said the 07 coming here has both ABS and an immobilizer. They are also bringing in 200 to start with, not 100.

Given the ABS the 299,000 price is now even more attractive.

• 1 month later...

Yamaha Ratchada has an MT07 on display. I think it's a great looking bike, the license holder excepted. The brake / rear light integration into the fairing is a nice touch and much better than the clunky FZ09 tail light. The seat on the 07 is also, IMO, more comfortable than the stock 09 one. My only criticism is that the sales guys say Yamaha are pricing the 07 to sell … but they don't have one to test drive!

THB 299,000 for a CBU Japanese import with ABS is a competitive price. This model is not exactly US or Europe spec but has apparently been built specially for the Thai market. I don't know how it may or may not differ from the standard US or Europe models.

Order today for delivery in September.

post-212467-0-49320400-1431767509_thumb.

post-212467-0-59219100-1431767532_thumb.

post-212467-0-41930100-1431767545_thumb.

post-212467-0-45814700-1431767564_thumb.