Yamaha MT-07 Coming In 2015

BKKBike09

For info, Pops bike rentals in Chiang Mai, have 20 MT 07'S coming, the first batch of 10, due in three weeks.

Rent 1300 baht a day.

Not likely according to Yamaha Chiang Mai. Pops ordered 10 units but have not placed a deposit with Yamaha, so the earliest they could get an MT-07 is sometime in October.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I picked up a 2015 FZ-07 here in the states second hand. Out the door they cost about ~250,000B I got mine with 35,000 in upgrades for 200,000B including tax and registration, but ours don't have ABS.

I rode a Ninja 650r in Thailand. While there is only a 2hp/tq advantage the 28kg lighter FZ/MT also has a much nicer tq curve allowing you to bring the wheel up in 3rd.

The stock suspension is not as bad as the 09, but if you plan on riding 2 up, plan on dropping money on new fork cartridges and shock (about $900 USD here). We are just beginning to see companies bring out tunes for a bit of a bump in HP.

fz-07.org is a good place for info, especially if you want info on the suspension and tuning upgrades.

BTW, we got Pilot 3's from the factory as an option, what will they be running over there?

IMG_0038_2.jpg11130470_10100123401275204_6573722877379

• 2 weeks later...

Heads up!

Yamaha Chiang Mai is offering an MT-07 test-ride this afternoon (Sat) at a small circuit on the large parking lot next door.

Thai nationals need id and Farangs will need a passport to ride the MT-07 demo.

Ok... Yamaha had (or has until 6pm today) two MT-07s at their improvised 200m parking lot track, as well as a powerpoint presentation, three "pit girls" and several staff to handle the expected 80 test riders. There was a black MT-07 with a rather loose drive chain, and a yellow one with an overly-tight chain. I rode the yellow one twice, for a grand total of 10 laps (2km), unfortunately mostly in first gear.

First impression is that the lowish/upright riding position and light weight makes the bike feel quite nimble for its size, confirmed by its handling around the track's slalom section - so everyday slow riding in city traffic won't faze the MT-07 rider. Clutch and brake lever action felt light, and rider ergonomics made for a comfortable ride. Torque off low revs reminds me of my old grunty FZ 1200, punchy from 2000 rpm or so - when I opened the throttle in the short 40m straight, the MT-07 begun to lift the front wheel off the tarmac.

The ABS works fine, although it lets you know with a loud clunk when it begins to bite, followed by the pedal/lever oscillations common with ABS brake systems.

Two-up felt fine for the passenger. The small excuse for a pillion seat was surprisingly comfortable and pegs where not too high. I wouldn't want to test that over a long trip though.

Overall I was left with the impression the MT-07 is a F-U-N bike, and probably not meant to break racetrack lap records. It certainly feels like it has more fun potential than the K Versys. And at 300k, nothing comes near it in terms of fun for the buck Baht.

The MT-07 is made in Japan, and Yamaha Thailand apparently only imports 25 units a month nationwide (beginning from August). I'm scheduled to receive mine in Sept, but could be an August delivery if someone drops out from the waiting list. Any new MT-07 order at this time could mean an Oct delivery.

MT-07: five out of five stars from me.

This bike should have come out ten years ago, I'd have been very interested. A great replacement for the old XS650!

The CB500s are great bikes but a bit boring. The CB650s are nothing new - another 650Four, been there, seen that.

Thanks, Yamaha, for building some exciting bikes like the 850 triple and this 690 twin!

Not too big, not too small, a parallel twin with 270 degree crank, cool sound, lots of torque, light weight, affordable - I haven't been interested in a bike since the SV650 came out!

But these days I don't need all that power here in Thailand and can't justify spending 300 grand on a bike.

For those who can - go ahead! Can't wait to see this bike in the flesh on the road.

But these days I don't need all that power here in Thailand and can't justify spending 300 grand on a bike.

For those who can - go ahead!

Sorry, so you stopped driving motorbikes, or? whistling.gif

Hey, just a heads up. We are seeing a lot of fork bushings have abnormal amounts of wear even after only 3000 miles.

http://fz07.org/thread/2223/wrong-bushings-installed-factory-ensues

Whoah... this is serious enough to be a deal-breaker.

Thanks for the heads up, BA!

The MT-07 problem in a nutshell:

* Due to a mixup with very similar part serial Nrs, Kayaba supplies MT-07 forks to Yamaha with wrong sized lower bushings (OD 41.1mm instead of 42mm).

* Results in a bush end gap of 5mm instead of 1mm.

* Due to wrong tolerances, lower fork bushings begin to wear out excessively straight from the showroom.

* Excessively worn bushings found at 3,000km and earlier, on MT-07s all over the world. Normal fork bush life span is 30,000~100,000 km.

* Excessive wear results in loose fork internals and clunk sounds under breaking.

* Yamaha may not be aware of this hidden issue, because forks are only being pulled apart when replacing original dampening cartridge/springs/oil.

* Yamaha may be aware of this issue, but choose to ignore it to avoid costly recalls.

I think I'll put a hold on my MT-07 order until this serious issue gets acknowledged and resolved by Yamaha...

Edited by Laisze

I'm having a real battle with Yamaha CM, trying to cancel/delay my MT-07 order until Yamaha Japan sorts out the fork issue (probably 2016 models). I'll have a friendly chat about this tomorrow with the kind-faced CM Yamaha owner.

In any case, the first thing I would do to this bike is obviously replace the bushing with the correct ones, and change the pogo stick fork innards with quality cartridge / springs / oil. Soon after I'd probably replace the OEM rear shock with a fork-matching quality unit.

Anyone here has any experience with ordering fork kits from the US, as well as any useful tools?

• 1 month later...

Anyone got any updates on the problems as below, any dealers sorting this issue?

* Due to a mixup with very similar part serial Nrs, Kayaba supplies MT-07 forks to Yamaha with wrong sized lower bushings (OD 41.1mm instead of 42mm).
* Due to wrong tolerances, lower fork bushings begin to wear out excessively straight from the showroom.
* Excessively worn bushings found at 3,000km and earlier, on MT-07s all over the world. Normal fork bush life span is 30,000~100,000 km.
* Excessive wear results in loose fork internals and clunk sounds under breaking.
* Yamaha may not be aware of this hidden issue, because forks are only being pulled apart when replacing original dampening cartridge/springs/oil.
* Yamaha may be aware of this issue, but choose to ignore it to avoid costly recalls.

Hey, just a heads up. We are seeing a lot of fork bushings have abnormal amounts of wear even after only 3000 miles.

http://fz07.org/thread/2223/wrong-bushings-installed-factory-ensues

Whoah... this is serious enough to be a deal-breaker.

Thanks for the heads up, BA!

The MT-07 problem in a nutshell:

I think I'll put a hold on my MT-07 order until this serious issue gets acknowledged and resolved by Yamaha...

these are real issues. thanks for pointing out.

we all praise this bike for its value but it is actually a budget bike with budget components and sure these will taint for your riding enjoyment.

if you throw 2000 USD for better suspensions, etc it can be a better bike. But than for 500000, there are cooler bikes around.

and add plastic fuel tank to the list. bike is light but it is more of plastic it looks like.

i dont trust this bike.

^ Out of curiosity I just read the FZ07 forum thread about the bushings and, FWIW, the guy who first identified the wear issue, who seems to know his stuff as far as suspension is concerned, also says at one point "Most mortals won't notice the extra slop that is present in the forks today because of the wrong bushing (wear aside) and it would probably take 10K at least before you started to make a noticeable dent in the aluminum. I ride 20+K miles/yr so maybe I'm attuned to these sorts of issues." There are also comments from owners who've not seen any wear.

So I wouldn't get too worked up about it. It doesn't mean your forks are going to fall off a week after riding out of the showroom. Changing the bushings for the right ones isn't a major re-engineering fix either.

Way I see it, if you like the bike but this apparent 'issue' - which may or may not affect the bike you finally receive - is the only negative, then just go ahead and buy it.

Yamaha Thai website now has MT-03 ABS for 177,000:

Link>>> Yamaha MT-03

attachicon.gifMT03.jpg

Man that will be an awesome little bike for Thailand, light, fast comfortable 2 up and with plenty usable power I think they will have another winner on their hands

It's a really good time to be looking for smaller bikes right now and if we are really lucky it might start a bit of a war between the different manufacturers, happy days!!

Make no mistake, the Yamaha MT07 is a truly awesome bike.

Hired a new one in CNX , rode down 118, through the mountains.

Great power and torque. Smooth engine , great gearbox and brakes.

Very comfortable.

Useful gear position indicator.

Confidence inspiring handling.

Sad to take it back

What other bike in LOS can compare with this?

Just saying.

Yamaha Thai website now has MT-03 ABS for 177,000:

Link>>> Yamaha MT-03

attachicon.gifMT03.jpg

Man that will be an awesome little bike for Thailand, light, fast comfortable 2 up and with plenty usable power I think they will have another winner on their hands

It's a really good time to be looking for smaller bikes right now and if we are really lucky it might start a bit of a war between the different manufacturers, happy days!!

As my Uncle Percy used to say - "there's never been a better time to be rich..."

Very comfortable.

Sad to take it back

Just saying.

I am hearing this a lot. This bike supposed to be the best in it's class.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2015/04/article/2015-yamaha-fz-07-comparison/

(FZ in North America)

Edited by Nickymaster

Big , friendly Yamaha dealer CNX , can't speak for the rest of LOS.

My only gripe with the MT 07 would be , not the best of color schemes.

Otherwise, yes Yamaha have a winner, for sure!

Front fork softness , not a major drama to sort, if you ride that fast!

Very comfortable.

Sad to take it back

Just saying.

any other naked sport bike?

what you are saying in your post can be said to many naked sport bikes here in Thailand. minus gear indicator but plus a metal tank and good suspension.

^ "many naked sport bikes"?? So what are they, especially in the 300K price range? Also the tank isn't plastic. It's got plastic covers.

Decent rider write-up here:

https://isontheroad.wordpress.com/2014/11/02/yamaha-mt-07/

cb650f comes to my mind first. a lot better value and cheaper and good quality.

you can get a kawasaki 800 for a bit more.

kawasaki er6n is always there.

suzuki gladius is sold in Thailand.

benneli too if you consider low quality chinese bikes but it sounds exciting.

i can even count cb500f, cb300f , ktm 390 duke and z300 although not the same caliper but for Thailand and those twisties not a lot of difference.

ducati scrambler and monster has similar prices.

and if you can pay more on top of 300 k, there are a lot better options like triumph street triple, hypermotard, bmw f 800 etc.

just dont get me wrong. i am not sure if you own a mt 07 or not. but i also like yamaha mt 07 and love to own one. it is a great value light bike with good power, and our rider ranks are getting crowded with such bikes so i respect it.

but lets dont exaggerate a budget bike with some quality problems, that is what i am saying, lets dont fool ourselves.

Test rode Honda 650f, a heavy barge, sure great engine.Quality yes.

Honda CB 500 way less power and heavy again.

Nothing like the light weight fun experience of the MT 07.

Ducati, been there done that, harsh forks, not a comfortable riding position.High maintenance costs, belts valves etc.

Kawasaki 800 heavy, 80 k more.

Just saying.

Read the reviews of the MT 07!

I was going to buy an MT-07 going on the great road bike tests in various bike magazines. There is no getting away from the fact it's a best seller, so you have to think why.

In the end I bought a MT-09 as I like the power and I think I am physically too big for the 07.

^ "many naked sport bikes"?? So what are they, especially in the 300K price range? Also the tank isn't plastic. It's got plastic covers.

i see many people complain about plastic tanks.... why?

metal tank is more weight up high, and gets hot.... i dont see the advantage to a metal tank... can someone educate me why you would want metal over plastic?