4.0 magnitude quake hits Phang Nga

webfact

4.0 magnitude quake hits Phang Nga

20-2-2558-14-31-15-wpcf_728x409.jpg

PHUKET: -- A moderate 4.0 magnitude earthquake rocked Ko Yao island of Phang Nga province in the Andaman Sea at 13.30 on Friday with the tremor felt by most residents in three western coast provinces.

There was no tsunami warning when the quake was detected by the Seismological Bureau with its epicentre two kilometres under the sea off Ko Yao island.

Chief of the National Disaster Warning Centre Mr Somsak Khasuwan said the size of the quake could be felt by most residents in Pahang Nga, Phuket, and some areas of Krabi.

He said authorities were coordinating with local officials to warn the local peopke .

But there was no report of damages being filed yet, and authorities did not issue any tsunami warning, he said.

He said authorities could control the situation but warned people living in tall building to take safety precaution.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/4-0-magnitude-quake-hits-phang-nga

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-20

4.0 magnitude quake off Koh Yao felt in Phuket, Phi Phi
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1424415594_1.jpg

PHUKET: -- A 4.0 magnitude earthquake off the coast of Koh Yao in Phang-Nga province was felt in part of Phuket and Phi Phi Island shortly after 1pm Friday afternoon (February 20).

Phuketians in Thalang, Kathu, Phuket Town and Koh Kaew have reportedly felt the ground shake for approximately 7 second inside their homes and other buildings.

Officials at the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) in Phuket have confirmed that the 4.0 magnitude quake took place about 2km underground off the coast of Koh Yao island.

Igor Balint of Elixir Diving on Koh Yao Yai told The Phuket News that no significant damage has resulted from the quake though he said that several tourists are already leaving the island and returning to Phuket or the mainland.

"The walls were shaking and it was quite strong," Mr Balint said.

http://www.seismology.tmd.go.th/inside-info.html?earthquake=3280

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/4-0-magnitude-quake-off-koh-yao-felt-in-phuket-phi-phi-51107.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-02-20

It was first earthquake I ever felt myself. The sound from this one was much quieter than what I heard from the 2012 quake.

So, you heard an earth quake in 2012, but did not feel it??

I am from California, and have been through more than a few quakes.....

Don't remember any of them making much noise, except tor stuff hitting the floor or the ground.

<deleted> are you talking about?

4.0 ? well, that's basically nothing..... at least if you have been through a 7.5 quake I had the "pleasure" to experience at MexDF in April last year while being on the 12th floor of a downtown building. we weren't able to properly stand on our own feet and felt like completely drunks and debris came down from the wall..... standing lamps and iron board toppled .... an experience of a lifetime......

Edited by siam2007

It was first earthquake I ever felt myself. The sound from this one was much quieter than what I heard from the 2012 quake.

Don't remember any of them making much noise, except tor stuff hitting the floor or the ground.

I remember the 2012 quake to the east of Phuket island and I posted that I heard a large bang and thought a truck had hit our building, then I felt the movement. So I too have 'heard' an earthquake.

I remember the 2012 quake to the east of Phuket island and I posted that I heard a large bang and thought a truck had hit our building, then I felt the movement. So I too have 'heard' an earthquake.

I didn't feel anything today.

In 2012, I also reported that I felt as if my chair had been picked up and dropped. There was a loud bang.

We found several cracks in our new garden walls from that one. Chalong area. .

Small quake hits Phang Nga province
THE NATION

A 4.0-MAGNITUDE earthquake hit the southern province of Phang Nga yesterday afternoon, with tremors felt in the neighbouring provinces of Phuket and Krabi.

The National Disaster Warning Centre reported that the 1pm quake at Koh Yao was about 2 kilometres below the surface. There were no reports of a tsunami.

News website Phuketwan quoted a reader as saying the tremor was felt at the Phuket Heroines monument for about six seconds.

Another reader based in southern Phuket said: "I felt a light shaking that lasted maybe 10-15 seconds - not sure at first if it was an earthquake or maybe a passing large vehicle, but quite noticeable."

"We were on the beach at Nai Yang [near Phuket airport] and felt it there," another reader said in a phone call to Phuketwan. "But there was no panic."

Meanwhile, Passakorn Pananon, a lecturer at Kasetsart University's Earth Sciences Department, said the quake took place at the end of the 150 kilometre Klong Marui fault line that cuts across Surat Thani's Ban Ta Khun and Phanom districts and Phang Nga's Thap Put and Muang districts.

Passakorn said this fault was responsible for many quakes though they were usually quite small. About two years ago, an earthquake shook Phuket island, which is close by.

Tremors of this level do not generate a tsunami, which usually only occurs when a quake is greater than 6 magnitude and is vertical in nature.

However, he said, the situation should be monitored for a while as the quake may be followed by aftershocks.

"The first earthquake may not be the biggest, though the following tremor might be stronger," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Small-quake-hits-Phang-Nga-province-30254583.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-21

Same here, the quake was preceded by a loud bang. Never did find out why.

We felt it in the Krabi / Ao Nang area. Very minor jarring, felt the office table move for about 5 seconds and didn't have a logical explanation for it.

Sure you weren't actually on the table at the time? If so, could have been the earth that moved.

• 11 months later...